САЙВЕР RAZORs from Russia

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Jayaruh, Dec 9, 2017.

1. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I now have two САЙВЕР RAZORs from Russia. The first I received has safety bars and a plastic handle. The second I received last week has a dual comb and an aluminum handle. They each take two DE blades. The first is split and the second is whole. Together, they make a sort of double edged twin-blade experience. I have not shaved with either, but I intend to before the end of the year.

IMG_5973.JPG

IMG_5855.JPG

IMG_5975.JPG

IMG_5977.JPG

IMG_5980.JPG IMG_5981.JPG IMG_5983.JPG IMG_5982.JPG

AlDm, DaltonGang, Linuxguile and 12 others like this.
  2. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

Very cool, Jim! Did you order those on the bay? I've never seen razors like that before.

RyX likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Yes, I found them on the Bay. I ordered the plastic handled one, and then I found the aluminum handled dual-comb one a day or so later and ordered it. I am looking forward to trying them.
    I will either like them or pif them.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Russian-Ar...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Sa...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

4. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

With both blades in there that gap looks pretty scary. For the second blade do you just cut a regular DE blade in half?

Jayaruh likes this.
  5. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Yes, you just cut or snap a blade in half. It goes in first and each half nestles up next to the post. Then the separator plate goes on next followed by the whole blade and the bottom plate. All this is done with the top resting on some solid surface. I find that I have to adjust the half blades a bit before the final tightening of the handle.

IMG_5855b.jpg

Keithmax, RyX, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Interesting design, Jim. It will be fun to hear how they shave, and it would be interesting to try different combinations of blades just for kicks.

Calling @NCoxSTL

LOOT, PickledNorthern, RyX and 3 others like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I have decided to shave with the plastic handle one tomorrow.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Keithmax, RyX, AGHisBBS and 3 others like this.
  8. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Tuning in to see how this one turns out. It seems like an interesting design.

Do you know if these are modern or vintage?

RyX, sdguero and Jayaruh like this.
  9. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

they are modern

RyX and sdguero like this.
  10. richgem

Thanks. Interesting.

sdguero likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    From eBay:
    The two-edge shaving razor SAIVER. Classic T-razor with the ability to use one or two blades. The handle of the razor unscrewed, made from ABS plastic with the application of a notch. Pad (black) is made of plastic. The liner metal. Clip (the upper part of the hump) made of aluminum alloy. This model was produced since Soviet times. Year of production approx 1997 – 2006. РД Russian manufacturer logo (RAIODETAL Factory) New, with storage. Made in Russia.​

Keithmax, RyX, AGHisBBS and 4 others like this.
  12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Somebody has been spying on my ebay orders and email. I have the aluminum handle one warming up in the bullpen. :lyrtuy5:

13. richgem

[​IMG]

PickledNorthern, RyX, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  14. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    Monday's planned shave.
    sod171211.JPG

AlDm, jtspartan, Keithmax and 7 others like this.
  15. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

So you'll start off with two blades the way the instructions say... I suppose you have seen the comments Engblom made in the "advice on lightweight (plastic) DE razor for travel" thread; About how he only uses one blade either on top or below the spacer to change the aggressiveness.

16. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Basically a DE version of a Trak II but requiring a lot more work (and probable finger cuts) to load! Since it won't flush through like a cart, clogging looks like it could be an issue.

NCoxSTL, Jayaruh and sdguero like this.
  17. richgem

And once they taste blood, look out!
    [​IMG]

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've seen those on the bay, just never felt that adventurous. Keep us informed. :)

19. Jayaruh

Supporting Vendor
    I have looked at the head very carefully, and I don't anticipate the razor to be overly aggressive. I shall see, I guess. I'm starting off with the two blade configuration. I will also explore the one blade option, with and without the spacer above or below. It is a lot to explore for one razor.
    Yeah, that was one of the drawbacks of the Trac II. I don't see an improvement here either.
    I hope to avoid all appearance of blood.
    Stay tuned.

sdguero, wristwatchb and AGHisBBS like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Subscribed! Looking forward to seeing how they shave, Jim!

AGHisBBS and Jayaruh like this.