Scraping sound when I shave

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by GoldenHandTheJust, Dec 13, 2017.

1. I've been meaning to address this for quite some time. Since a month or two ago (which is coincidentally the time when I started working out and lifting weights), whenever I shave (be it a DE or a cartridge) even WTG I can hear a scraping sound. Before that, the razor would just glide across.
    I've eliminated all the variables. It's the same razor, blade, brush and cream that I'm using. A Gillette Sterling with a Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum blade (the black one), Biotique shaving cream applied with an Omega 10077 boar hair brush. I could understand if there was quite some hair, but I shave daily.
    What is wrong, if anything?

Dansco and Bama Samurai like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Does it sound like you're buttering toast?
    Normal.
    Have you started shaving in a quieter area?

Dansco likes this.
  3. It sounds almost the same as buttering a piece of toast. And there has been a place change. Earlier, I used to shave in my bathroom which was less than 6 feet wide and around 7 feet tall. I now shave in my bedroom where it is quite quiet except for the fan.

Dansco likes this.
  4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

There ya go.
    Sweet sound, ain't it? :D

Herm2502 and Terry Williams like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Buttering toast, and sometimes ripping open Velcro. When describing the properties of a razor it's referred to as the audible quality. I'm not a user of Gem type SE's but I understand that big flat top tin cap makes lots of noise. In straight razors wedge grinds are quiet while very hollow ground "sing" as they shave.

The Gillette Stirling has the original plastic handle? I have a similar version called "The Knack". Changing out for a heavier handle might reduce the noise by dampening vibration.

LOOT and dustmite like this.
  6. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I use this sound to help dial in my shave, to make sure I have the right angle.

80s_carsorgtfo, Dansco, LOOT and 2 others like this.
  7. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

The Gem type SE's sure do make some noise! I almost jumped with my very first pass!

Dansco and RyX like this.
  8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

The big question is: "Are your noisy shaves close and comfortable"?

Dansco, LevelupShaves and LOOT like this.
  9. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

All of my vintage Gillette super speeds make this sound. Music to my ears.

Dansco, LOOT and GatorJoe like this.
  10. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

For me that is especially true with a single edge.

Dansco likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    It is a sweet, sweet sound.

12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Sadly because of my deafness I was never able to connect with the said “audible feedback “. There are a couple of straight razors that let me listen when shaving my sideburns close to my ears. I cannot chance getting my devices wet, so wearing them during the shave is out of the question.

Dansco and LOOT like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I always made my Mom laugh by scraping my unshaven face with a credit card. I don't take "credit"(oooh that was bad), because it was an old TV commercial about the strength of a certain shave cream(probably Gillette).

Dansco likes this.
  14. HUF

HUF Active Member

The sound is a part of shaving pleasure. Stick to your bedroom, turn off the fan, wait for your girlfriend to finally stop talking, and enjoy the music of your shave!

Dansco likes this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Some of my video single edge shaves are so loud that people turn down the volume. Lol. As long as you are getting good shaves enjoy the audio. It is a sweet sound.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    Dansco likes this.
  16. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

The sound of my whiskers getting mowed has never bothered me. The only time I was ever surprised by it was the first time I used an aluminum British tech, excuse me it is British, so my aluminium tech. It weighs almost nothing and makes a tremendous racket. It is almost like hearing my whiskers scream like Seattle Seahawks fans.

Dansco likes this.
  17. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I think your newly muscular arms are making that noise. The gym is just too loud for you to hear it.