Barburys by Sibel Shaving Cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by sdguero, Dec 19, 2017.

1. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Last week I stopped in at one of the local Sally Beauty Supply stores to pick up some Derby and Personna DE blades. While I was standing looking over what shaving supplies they have I noticed a brand I wasn't familiar with... Barburys by Sibel.

What first caught my eye was a boxed shaving brush under that brand name. I don't remember the exact price but it was about $7 and some change. Adjacent to the brush were a 5 oz bottle of Shaving Cream (about $6.50), and nearby that was a 3 oz bottle of Aftershave Balm (about $5.50). Always curious about products I can buy locally, I opted to buy these 3 items which together was less than $20. They had some other Barburys products like body wash, and beard balm and I don't remember what else.

This morning I got around to using these products.

First, the brush: It appears to have an inexpensive, plastic handle but it has good weight. The box the brush came in doesn't say what the bristles are. It has directions on using the brush, and says it was Made in China. The bristles are very soft, and they feel like badger, but they could be synthetic. I used the brush for the first time this morning... and normally when I use a brush for the first time, I lose a few hairs. I didn't lose a single hair from this brush that I could see. I'm no brush expert, but for the price I was impressed with its soft touch, and it's performance.
    IMG_1932.JPG

The shaving cream comes in a 5 oz plastic bottle and is dispensed with a pump nozzle.
    IMG_1925.JPG IMG_1926.JPG
    I normally bowl lather and since this was the first time I was using it I was going to bowl lather. I had soaked the brush in a salsa bowl while I showered and afterwards squeezed out most of the water from the bristles. I pumped some of the shave cream into the bowl and mostly a liquefied, milky substance came out. I realized I needed to shake the bottle's contents. I removed the pump nozzle, squeezed the remaining liquid in the tube back into the bottle and shook it vigorously. Then I replaced the nozzle and pumped some of the product into the bowl. This time it came out as more solid cream, a consistency I would describe as to a hair conditioner. I whipped the cream with the brush and it did form into a lather, but I had to work at it for a couple of minutes to get a reasonable lather.
    IMG_1915.JPG

There were a lot of bubbles in the lather still, but I started to apply it to a wet face. For the first pass it painted on as a thin lather and I kept working at it as a face lather to get it thicker. I started to shave with my Gillette Fat Boy and I noticed the lather on the opposite side from my shave was beginning to dissipate. This is reminisce to what happens to me with modern Williams soap... so I hit that side of the face again with the brush to rebuild the lather before shaving it. As far as the shave itself, the lather's slickness was good, and it was comfortable. For the second pass I did not re-wet my face and just applied more lather with the brush. By not adding more water to the face that seemed to help because the lather seemed a little thicker then the first time around. Nevertheless, before I got to the opposite side to shave the lather was beginning to dissipate. I managed to do 2 passes and some clean up on my neck and ultimately had a pleasant shave. I am no good at describing scents or base notes.... I'll leave that to those who are practiced at it. It has a floral scent to me and I like that.

As to the performance, I'm planning to try this shave cream again soon. I may have had too much water in the bowl (from the first, initial pump prior to shaking the bottle).

After the shave I splashed on my witch hazel and a few minutes later I applied the Barburys by Sibel Aftershave balm. The balm was fine, I could definitely feel the menthol in it, but it wasn't unpleasant. The scent of the balm is the same as the shave cream. I'll use it again in my rotation, but it probably won't become my favorite.
    IMG_1927.JPG IMG_1929.JPG

Would I purchase any of these products again? I would definitely consider the brush. I like the brush and it performed well. The price seemed reasonable.

I probably wouldn't buy the shaving cream or the AS balm again. But I'll continue to use them periodically. I'm likely to combine the shave cream with some other shave soap or cream to see what kind of Frankenlather I can develop.

I'll post again here if I have more news about it. Have a good week everyone!

EnglishChannel, gzp, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  2. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Great writeup, thanks.

The brush looks like it has one of the synthetic "plissoft" knots in it.

Unlike organic knots, there is no need to soak a synthetic before using it, because it doesn't absorb any water. Just dip it in water and shake it out so it's mostly just damp and it will work fine.

I wonder: since the cream is in a pump bottle, is it like creams such as the KMF line that can be used either with a brush or else brushless by just being rubbed on the face and into the whiskers?

Spyder, RyX and sdguero like this.
  3. sdguero

You're probably right about the synthetic "plissoft" knot. I've looked at with a magnifier and the bristles appear to be synthetic and not animal.

I've never used KMF creams but I can tell you the directions on this shave cream bottle simply says to apply to moist, clean skin to be shaved. So, it appears to be made to be applied by hand. I'll keep experimenting with it, John. Thanks for your response!

Spyder, RyX and Screwtape like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Dan @sdguero for the review! I did a little googling, found the manufacturers website. From a vendor they describe the scent as "the composition of mint, lemon and cinnamon" with no alcohol.

Spyder and sdguero like this.
  5. sdguero

Rick, thanks for looking it up on their website. I noticed they also have razors... a SR and a TTO, but it looks like you have to send them your contact information in order to find out more.

As to the scent, I can smell that composition. It's a very pleasant scent. I'll experiment some more with this cream to give it the benefit of the doubt.

Spyder, Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  6. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Nice review, I've seen those products in my local Sally's as well but never tried them. Barbasol 346x0f4.jpg plays well with others, so I just might have to try the pleasant sounding scent of the cream with it. I like the way you wrote up the review...I understood it all the way..thanks!

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Truth, but I soak all my brushes - badger, boar, synthetic, nylon.
    Why? They soak up heat that makes for a warm lather.

Great review, Dan. I may have to stick my head into Sally's more often to see what they have for offerings.

8. sdguero

Combining it with Barbasol was one of my first thoughts because it does play well with others. Thanks!

9. sdguero

SOTD 12.21.2017
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Shave Cream: Barburys by Sibel Shaving Cream (applied by hand)
    Razor: Gillette Fat Boy E-4 (setting #3)
    Blade: Wilkinson-Sword (4)
    Post-shave: Assured WH, Nivea Sensitive Skin PS Balm, C.O. Bigelow Barber Cologne No 1585 (Elixir White)

I thought I would give this shave cream another opportunity today. This time, my intention was to do what the instructions on the bottle say, "Apply to moist, clean skin. Shave in the direction of hair growth. Rinse face thoroughly with water." Well... I almost followed the instructions. I may have deviated a little. :cool:

I did wet my face. I also remembered to shake the bottle vigorously even though the bottle says nothing about that. I pumped out some product on to a wet hand and applied to my wet face. It didn't lather. It certainly covered my face with a protective shave "slime", but if you like lather, this isn't the product. If you've ever used VDH Shave Butter, Neutrogena Shave Cream, Burt's Bees Shave Cream... same result. I had better luck obtaining a lather the other day with a bowl, brush and several minutes of my time whipping it into a lather (see picture in the first post on this thread).

Where I deviated from the instructions is: 1) 2nd pass I tried to face lather with the Barburys brush, and I got just a little hint of lather... but not much; and, 2) I did two primary passes in my normal routine plus some clean-up work on my neck so I ignore the part in their instructions about "shave in the direction of hair growth."

So, this is a "latherless" cream. It does what it is suppose to do. It's slick. It's protective. At the very least, it does the job. I had a DFS. The scent is nice.

My next experiment will be to combine it with some Williams soap.
    IMG_1964.JPG

Spyder, Screwtape, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Going to molest the Williams eh? Just for the record the clubman shave cream is like this. Awesome scent no lather at all no matter what! But it is slick and will do the job.

11. sdguero

Oh yes... Williams plays well with several shave creams. I want to see if it will play as well with this one.

I've seen that Clubman shave cream, but I've not pulled the trigger on getting it. Maybe sometime if the urge strikes me.

Spyder likes this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sighs. And here I thought we would be friends.

I threw the clubman away. I am ok with brushless creams that lather. If they do not I am not into them.

13. sdguero

It's all in the interest of wet-shaving science. I promise I won't hurt the Williams. Well, not intentionally. :angelic007:

Spyder, Screwtape and RyX like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Lol woo!!

Spyder and sdguero like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

I do like my lather, so I'll leave this product to those that prefer shaving with hair conditioner.
    Now... about that cologne?
    basenotes.net gives an 80+% positive rating and list the scents profile;
    • Bergamot,
    • Grapefruit,
    • Mandarin,
    • Pepper,
    • Wood,
    • Spices
    Available at Bath and Body Works, too. I like shopping local. Going to have to visit their shop and give it a sniff!

Spyder, Screwtape and sdguero like this.
  16. sdguero

I LOVE IT! I find I like citrusy scents. I bought it on Monday at Bath & Body. In fact, I also bought the Elixir Green and Elixir Blue because they had a "buy 2 get 1 free" sale. Each bottle is priced at $19.50. That sale may still be going on.

Today was the 2nd time I've used this scent. The first time was at the store when I used the tester bottle, but didn't buy at that time. The scent lasted all day and I finally decided to go back for it a few days later. Again today, this pleasant scent lasted for hours.

Spyder and RyX like this.
  17. sdguero

SOTD 12.22.2017
    Face Shave
    Pre-shave: early morning walk with the dogs, black coffee and a hot shower
    Brush: Barburys by Sibel
    Soap + Cream: Williams Mug Shaving Soap + Barburys by Sibel Shaving Cream whipped up in a Suribachi bowl
    Razor: Gillette Fat Boy E-4 (dialed in at #4)
    Blade: Wilkinson-Sword (5)
    Post-shave: Assured WH, Nivea Sensitive Skin PS Balm, C.O. Bigelow Barber Cologne No 1585 (Elixir White)

Head Shave
    Everything was the same except I dialed the Fat boy to #9

From time to time I have combined different shave soaps and / or creams with others seeking an uber-lather or Frankenlather, especially when I'm dissatisfied with the lack of lather from a particular shave cream. I've had success with Williams + Head Slick Shave Cream, and Williams + Cremo, and Barbasol and those creams. I've also used the VDH soaps + those creams and had some outstanding lathers.

Today I soused the Williams for a few minutes while I showered. I kept the souse water to dip the brush in and to use as a pre-shave rub. I loaded the brush with Williams and whipped it into a lather in the suribachi bowl. Here's the Williams lather....
    IMG_1967.JPG

I achieved a very nice lather from the Williams in the bowl, and contemplated just using the Williams... but I persevered and maintained focus on the experiment. I picked up the Barburys bottle (shook it vigorously) and pumped it once to extract some of the hair conditioner-looking product into the bowl. Then started to whip it some more with the brush. Here's the Williams + Barburys combination...
    IMG_1969.JPG
    I developed a lot of lather, but it was fluffy... a ton of little air bubbles and I didn't use a lot of water in this mixture. After whipping the mixture for a few minutes I painted some on to my face and it went on very well, in fact. I thought this may work. But quickly I noticed the lather dissipated fast so I kept hitting it with the brush.
    I just picked up the razor and started shaving my face for the first pass. The mixture didn't seem very slick, but it provided enough protection I just kept going.... quickly. After the first pass, I did not wet my face. I picked up the brush and re-lathered the face. It seemed to go on thicker this time... i.e. fewer bubbles, but I still had to hurry up and shave before the lather dissipated on me. I managed a 2 pass shave which was DFS.

I then moved on to do a head shave. I had plenty of lather left. I just wet my scalp a little with water and lathered it. It went fine. Not great. I got a nick on the crown of my scalp which I didn't noticed until I got to the point of clean-up and noticed a little blood on my hand.

All said... Williams and Barburys shave cream do not play well together, and I don't blame it on Williams. I like Williams.

Before I forget though.... this is the third time I've used the Barburys shave brush. I still have not lost any bristles from this brush. It's soft, but it has backbone. I paid like $7 plus some change for it. I'm very impressed with it!
    sotd 12.22.2017.jpg

18. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have a brushless cream from Gentlemen’s Hardware that’s sandalwood scented. The scent is one of the nicest I’ve encountered, but: no lather. So I just apply a small layer directly on my face with my hands and lather on top with another soap (usually proraso red). Kind of like a pre shave. I’ve tried adding it to my lather, but it had negative results on the lather.
    Give it a shot by just applying a thin layer before laying down your regular lather. I do it on all passes.
    Never been in a Sally’s........

sdguero likes this.
  19. sdguero

That’s a great idea, Keith. I didn’t think to try it as a pre-shave. I’ll try that sometime.

This month my focus is on becoming competent in using a Magic shavette. I know it’s not a SR but sometime this year I want to transition to one. Anyway, I got the shavette and a pack of Derby SE blades for it at Sally’s. We have two stores here. They don’t have a lot but they do carry Personna blue DE blades (pack of 5), Derby DE blades (pack of 10), Scalpmaster shave mugs which are plastic but they work great for soap pucks. The blades are reasonably priced. They also have a variety of Clubman grooming products but only the one primary AS scent.

Thanks for checking out the thread. Have a great weekend, Keith!

Ijustmissedthe50s and Spyder like this.
  20. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I love my Magic shavette from Sallys. I use it both for trimming and for full face shaves in a rotation. I tested it trimming for good bit before the full shaves to make sure the blade would stay secure and not wiggle. I don't know how similar a thin de blade would translate into straights, but agree that the handling and coordination ideas could be very useful. Theyre just fun to shave with, aren't they?! 346x0f4[8].jpg