More cuts in the winter?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by tazorac, Dec 20, 2017.

1. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

I don't know if its the dryer skin from the colder weather or what, but I get nicked more when the weather turns cold, nothing major but I have 3-4 red dots every shave.

Am I the only person who gets more cuts and nicks when the weather turns colder?

Keithmax likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You could be.
    I don't. *shrug*

Are you prepping the same?
    Maybe try a pre-shave oil or balm to add moisture.

3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Is your bathroom colder so that you shiver slightly more?

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

swarden43 likes this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :happy097:

5. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

With concerted practice I've become adept at cutting myself equally in any season.

Shaver X, RyX, dustmite and 1 other person like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I would recommend pre shave oil. It definitely aids in helping the skin maintain hydrated.

7. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

I was wondering the same thing myself... I've tried different razors, soaps, PSO/no-PSO, the victim is either my jaw line or like tonight my neck. Its gotten to the point where i do an electric razor for the day to day during the week.

Spyder likes this.
  8. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

*shudder*

Spyder likes this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

My guess would be that it has to do with your skin being drier in the cold weather. I don't get more nicks in the Winter, but I sure do get more paper cuts due to drier skin.

Spyder likes this.
  10. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Turn up the thermostat. Sounds like a shivering issue.

Spyder likes this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I generally do not get cuts. I shave with cold water. Wash with cold water, lather with cold water, shave with cold water, rinse with cold water. Same prep and procedure for SE, injectors, DE, and straights. It has been a long long time since I have cut myself.

RyX likes this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I would agree with @Jayaruh. Except I am not a cold water shaver. I use the same routine year round....temps do not change anything or cause more nicks for me.

RyX and Jayaruh like this.
  13. COMPNOR

COMPNOR Well-Known Member

Yes I feel dirty doing it. But even just going for the look of clean shaven, I still manage to cut myself.

14. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Stirling sheep based shaving soaps. They are a winter savior for me by mid January. It isn’t a cutting myself problem, but my skin gets so dry, I need moisturizing everything to get a comfortable shave.

Eeyore likes this.