Whipped dog brush

Discussion in 'Women's Shaving' started by Robinw, Dec 28, 2017.

1. Robinw

Robinw Member

I want to give the better half a brush of her own. My idea is to combine from whipped dog ( willing to go elsewhere if better).
    She has rather small hands and always prefers natural materials so badger hair and if possible non resin handle is preferred.

What are your suggestions on size and choice of hair/quality?

Thanks

RyX likes this.
  2. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

That is a fine idea. Larry has some great synthetics. I have a few of his and they are good quality. I find I just don’t use my badgers after buying synthetics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Robinw

Robinw Member

So, is the general opinion that synthetics are now superior to badger?

4. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

General opinion? I don't know about that.

They are different. I would not call them better. You could argue that they are better value for money though.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

RyX likes this.
  5. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I have a synthetic and a two Silvertips from Whipped Dog and they are all great brushes. I prefer the Silvertip, but the synthetic is a fine brush, too. I suggest you talk to Larry at WD, he will walk to through the decision. His customer service is awesome.

Herm

TCBENNETT55 and RyX like this.
  6. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

Certainly not. Not that it matters what the general opinion is. It’s all about how good a shave you get with what you like and what you can afford.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Truth.

When I got into this back in 2008, silvertip badger was the gotta have brush.
    A few years later it was boar, with everyone touting the Semogue 2000 as the must have.
    Horse hair was the big thing just a few years ago.
    Now synthetic is having it's turn as the brush du jour.

Reread this. It' worth repeating...

Herm2502, RyX and Bobcat like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

One of our members makes brush handles. Check out the stuff by Jim @Jayaruh. Most of his are from various types of wood, some carved by hand & others lathe turned. He can work with you on type of knot and may have something ready to ship right away. His prices are great and like Larry at Whipped Dog, Jim has a bunch of fans here at TSD.

Herm2502 and jimjo1031 like this.
  9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

OMG, how could I forget to recommend @Jayaruh? I just bought one of good brushes, a synthetic, and it's wonderful. Prices are right, too.

Herm

RyX likes this.
  10. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Did someone mention me?

Paul Turner, Herm2502 and RyX like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Yup, you and the J.O.C.

12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
  13. Robinw

Robinw Member

Thanks for the advice.

Found a long thread in the brush sector on synth vs badger... going through it now.

Will discuss with Justin as well. And I did send a mess to whipped dog.

Again, thanks

RyX and Herm2502 like this.
  14. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

I’l admit I’m biased. I love Whipped Dog’s silvertips. If your wife has small hands I’d got with a 20-22mm handle.