SoS: December 25, 2017 - December 31, 2017

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Yehuda D, Dec 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Boru62, mrchick, ram57 and 2 others like this.
  2. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Nice looking razor. The Single Ring is one sweet shave IMO.

Herm

3. Herm2502

For the end of the year I'm breaking out the 1958 (D3) Executive (replated by RazorPlate) using a GSB blade in it for the first time. Along with the WD Silvertip and the Soap Commander "Honor" soap, this should be one sweet shave.[​IMG]

Herm

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Terrific picture, Guy!

Boru62, ram57 and clint64 like this.
  5. Herm2502

Aw geez, story of my life, I'm always late to the party. Belated birthday wishes!!!

Herm

Boru62, mrchick and clint64 like this.
  6. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture, Rick!

7. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Kerry! Have a great evening!

Boru62 and clint64 like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Doug & Jim!

9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Good picture Herm. :happy096:

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Boru62, clint64 and Herm2502 like this.
  10. Smooth Steve

Thank Doug. First time trying Grey Flannel AS. I really enjoyed it.
    Steve

Boru62, clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    sod171230.JPG
    Saturday Straights' Shave
    zcws.gif

Proraso Pre Shave
    Arko
    Frank Shaving Badger
    Fredrick Reynolds 9/16 "Rattler"
    CWR
    Thayer's Lemon WH
    Lucky Tiger

I started off with Proraso Pre Shave. The Arko Shaving Soap face-lathered well with the Frank Shaving Badger brush. I did two passes with the Fredrick Reynolds 9/16 and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Thayer's Lemon WH and then Lucky Tiger AS. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

I got this razor from @HolyRollah . It is very cool looking, and it is a very smooth shaver. Thanks Kevin. I really like it.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2017
  12. Herm2502

Thanks Doug

Herm

Douglas Carey, Boru62 and clint64 like this.
  13. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

SATURDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Razor - Edwin Jagger "Kelvin"
    Blade - Shark Super Stainless *5th shave
    Shave Brush - Scaramouche+Fandango 22mm "Ultra-Soft" Synthetic
    Shave Soap - The Shave Den "Sensitive" (Unscented)
    Aftershave - The Shave Den "Sensitive" (Unscented) Witch Hazel
    Pre-Shave Oil - Lather & Wood Shaving Co.'s Unscented Pre-Shave Oil
    Post-Shave Balm - Nicci Marie Vitamin-C Facial Serum with Hyaluronic Acid
    Deodorant - Herban Cowboy "Unscented"
    Fragrance - Lalique Fleur Universelle 1900 (from the Noir Premier line)

After a 2 day layoff from shaving, I will smooth things back up on Saturday morning.

14. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Ruds Suds - The Dark Side (by Catie's Bubbles)
    DrivenLegend Red & Black | APShaveCo Tuxedo 30mm
    Ever-Ready 1912 | Delta Echo | Gem PTFE

[​IMG]

Ruds Suds: The Dark Side is a collaboration between Jason Rudman and Catie's Bubbles, and when I say collaboration, I mean Ruds dreamed it up and Catie's made it work. At least that's how I imagine it happened.

Haitian vetiver detractors need not apply. Much like Catie's Bubbles' 322, this fragrance epitomizes everything I like about a fragrance, and it virtually personifies darkness. The comparisons to 322 are inevitable, but where 322 slips in some trashy patchouli, The Dark Side's vetiver is mitigated by dark roasted coffee, injecting a bitterness and hatred at a level not often experienced in a shave soap. In practice, the Haitian vetiver is the first note both from the tub and when lathered. The blend is so masterfully done that the bitter black coffee insidiously comes forward before the lather is fully built. Throughout the shave it's hard to determine where the vetiver ends and the coffee begins. Then, around mid-shave, a resinous, semi-sweet note gently creeps in without overtaking the vetiver/coffee dual.

The paired splash unfolds in a similar but slightly sharper fashion. However, the drydown unveils a faintly damp green note I don't recall experiencing in the soap. While the splash has plenty of punch and staying power, I'd like to see this in an EdP or even an extrait. As it is, I can still detect the splash---particularly the semi-sweet resinous note---about 4 hours out.

The Dark Side utilizes Catie's Bubbles' Luxury Soap vegan base. I've sang the praises of this soap base performance extensively in the past, so suffice it to say it's one of my favorites.

Normally, at this time, I would recommend fans of dark fragrances scoop this up, but there were only 16 sets, all of which have been spoken for. We've seen this before, however, with Porch Drinks and others. If the demand is there, perhaps the artisan can be convinced to revisit it, but I have no idea what that entails.

15. Smooth Steve

12/30/17 Shave of the Day
    Face Wash with Crabtree & Evelyn Indian Sandalwood Triple Milled Soap
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Lime Ginger Tea Tree Conditioning Shampoo Puck
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CUBE Mentholated Preshave Soap
    RazoRock XXX LE Shave Soap
    Stirling Soap Company 24mm x 57mm Boar Brush
    Creative Flame Pottery Stoneware Shaving Scuttle
    iKon X3 Slant Razor
    Astra Green Superior Platinum Blade - 2nd Shave
    RazoRock Alum Block
    Thayers Lemon Witch Hazel Astringent with Aloe Vera Formula
    RazoRock Mr. Pink After Shaving Splash
    Rockwell Barbershop Post-Shave Balm
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Sandalwood Natural Deodorant

D IMG_8196.jpg

16. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Nice! I wish Chris would have told me about this set. I would have bought for sure.

17. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

I bet it comes back around.

clint64, Douglas Carey and Boru62 like this.
  18. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Thanks Jim!

19. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

RECENT SHAVES
    20171219_225358.jpg
    20171229_233926.jpg
    20171229_233810.jpg
    20171229_231904.jpg

Sorry I haven't posted any shaves latley, have been sick with the flu the past few days so was unable to post. Feeling better now and all is well. Got a decent shave with L&L Harmony this evening. Was a but light on the lather since I decided to bowl lather, accidently did not use enough product. Was still a swell shave nonetheless. Finished off with Gingers Garden Maharani which has a Pachouli Inscense type of scent that paired well with the Harmony. Hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas and great shaves!

Attached Files:

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Decadent December!!!

December 29 - Fatboy Friday!

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Pre-shave - Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Soap - Tabac
    Brush - 30DC LE
    Post - Alum

It's Fatboy Friday! I'm running late due to some later closes at the store this weekend. This week is one our busier ones in the year so we stay open until 9pm through the weekend. We do close Sunday at 6, though, for New Year's Eve. Anyway........

Grabbed the birth year Fatboy and loaded a Sharp Star. Set on 6 which is my butter zone on this razor and whipped up a fine Tabac lather with the LE brush. Added that on top of the Stirling pre-shave soap and got a fantastic feel. The oils in the pre-shave soap are helping with skin dryness right now as well. We are in the deep freeze here and the air is bone dry. I'm itching like I have fleas. We complain about the humidity in the summer here but I'm ready for a bit of it.

Two passes, touch up, no issues or problems and a near-BBS is in the house. I'll take it! Hope you have a great weekend. I know many will probably have plans for New Year's Eve. If you're already on your way there or getting ready, stay safe and let's enjoy putting another year to bed!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.