DECember 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2017.

?

What would you like to find in your stocking this Christmas?

1. A decadent Gillette Toggle or other rare vintage DE

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. A decadent mint condition SE razor from the early 20th century

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. A decadent vintage straight razor, restored to perfection.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. A puck or two of your favorite decadent soap or cream

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. A luxurious and decadent High Mountain Badger brush (or your favorite type)

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. A plate of decadent cookies.

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  7. Anything besides a lump of coal. Because coal isn't decadent. It's just depressing.

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Keep the Toggle/FB comparisons coming. I dig it. Help to solidify/question my own thoughts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

2. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic shave to end 2017. The Damascus pattern on the PRC is really stunning.

3. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

My neck hair grows from the center of my throat towards the ears. I can get my neck close shaven, but i get bad irritation if I do more than 2 passes. I don't push it and have been content to just let it ride with XTG passes.

My face and jawline gets BBS, which is nice. Only that part gets between thighs anyway.

4. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

That razor is soooo sexy. Wow!

And the antler brush kicks the decadence into OF.

Excellent way to finish the year.

5. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I just want to say thanks to all for letting me hang out with you this month. The photos are inspiring from both a gear and artistic standpoint. The sense of community in this node is remarkable. You guys have obviously been around each other for a while and the genuine caring is obvious. You guys remind me why TSD is "home".

I didn't take the time to comment on all of the shenanigans, but I read every single post. I used the "like" button to at least let you know I was following along and appreciated the time and effort you put into your posts, even if I didn't have the time to reciprocate.

I learned a great deal from you all, so...Thanks. Sincerely.

I hope 2018 is full of joy and prosperity for you all.

6. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

What a way to wrap up 2017, Keith! Great looking shave!

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Had communism held together, and the Soviet Red Army not signed with Detroit, Vancouver might have had a couple in the mid nineties....

8. Bama Samurai

It's the same design as Parker SRX. Should be good!

9. Bama Samurai

Isn't martyr just a fancy way to say "guy who didn't win"?

10. Bama Samurai

Sheep!

11. Bama Samurai

@Keithmax - Happy New Year! Have fun tonight!

12. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Perhaps. Larionov and Krutov actually started in Vancouver. Larionov signed with Detroit as a free agent a few years later and had some great years there. Krutov discovered Tim Horton’s Donuts after leaving the USSR, and ended up looking like Han Solo owed him money...

Drygulch, PLAla, LOOT and 8 others like this.
  13. jtspartan

Nice set-up. I get some stubborn growth on my right side neck as well, Dan.
    Looks like we’ve got a bit more snow than you as well!
    Love that Damascus blade, Keith. Lots of folds in that metal. What a great combo to end DEcember!

14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Williams and Stetson...you are DaMAN tonight!

Drygulch, PLAla, LOOT and 5 others like this.
  15. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I’m sure you do have more. How cold is it there? It snowed most of the day and we have about 3 inches on the ground. The worst part is the cold.... right now it’s minus 13F with a wind chill of minus 31F. The high temp today was minus 1F.

The Stetson was calling out to me today. :happy088:

Drygulch, PLAla, LOOT and 6 others like this.
  16. jtspartan

Colder than usual. -20Celcius tonight. That is -4F I believe. No wind, though.
    We do have about a foot of snow on the ground.

Drygulch, PLAla, LOOT and 6 others like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Decadent December!!!

December 30 - Fatboy Friday, part deux!

Razor - 1959 (E4) Gillette Fatboy (6)
    Blade - [​IMG] (2)
    Pre-shave - Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Soap - Dirty Deeds Tobacco
    Brush - Stirling Pro Handle Synthetic
    Post - Alum

Ok, what in the world?! I can say that I missed decadence for the first time today. And with THAT setup! Fatboy on 6 - CHECK! Sharp Star, only the world's finest NOS blade on its second shave - CHECK! Dirty Deeds soap - has to be the culprit. Here's the short version.

Got a great lather up on top of the pre-shave soap as usual. First pass seemed good until I started lathering for the second pass. I could feel the burn starting. Subtle at first but it spread to my entire face and neck. I know I wasn't heavy handed on the first pass. Angle was good. Nothing amiss. I went extra light on the second pass and finished with a DFS, but not by much. By that time my face was clearly on fire. Rinsed, grabbed the alum and the fire alarm went off. Serious burn that did finally subside when I rinsed again with cold water. My face feels soft so I know it's not a dry skin problem, especially with the pre-shave soap worked in. My only working theory is a reaction to the Dirty Deeds. I've used it a few times before. It's a sample puck from my shavey award earlier this year. It's always performed ok for me and I don't remember it causing any irritation, but if it isn't that then I'm stumped. Anyway, it's not the last shave of the year (probably).

I think we are going to a party tomorrow night when I get off work so it may be my last shave of the year. If so, it's been a privilege shaving alongside you all this year. We break the record with every post from now until midnight tomorrow night and it's been a fantastically wonderful month. Hope you have plans for some fun this weekend as we ring in a new year!

December 30 2017.jpg

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 10 others like this.
  18. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

You have a lot more snow. Stay warm and dry, Jason!

Drygulch, PLAla, LOOT and 4 others like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Always answer that call.

20. jtspartan

You as well, Dan.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.