DECember 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2017.

?

What would you like to find in your stocking this Christmas?

1. A decadent Gillette Toggle or other rare vintage DE

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. A decadent mint condition SE razor from the early 20th century

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. A decadent vintage straight razor, restored to perfection.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. A puck or two of your favorite decadent soap or cream

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. A luxurious and decadent High Mountain Badger brush (or your favorite type)

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. A plate of decadent cookies.

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  7. Anything besides a lump of coal. Because coal isn't decadent. It's just depressing.

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Nice razor, Jared!

2. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture, Clint!

Drygulch, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Excellent picture, Mark!

4. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Dude, do they not have a U-Haul franchise there? Why would you voluntarily subject yourself to this? (Says the Florida boy wearing short sleeves to church this morning.)

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, RyX and 7 others like this.
  5. BaylorGator

Nice setup, Mark. What’s your take on the black mamba?

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, PLAla and 3 others like this.
  6. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Way to go out in style, Clint. Pure class like always. Happy New Year.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 2017 Recap and 2017 Highlights

[​IMG]

With both my daughters and I having birthdays between Thanksgiving and the New Year adding to an already busy time of year, things can get really hectic in our household. So the small reward of Decadent December comes at the perfect time of year for me. A drama free rewarding shave in the morning seems to start the day off correctly. This month delivered those drama free shaves on a daily basis. During this month, I used the OneBlade Genesis for all the shaves with the exception of my birthday weekend where I used my birth year Super Speed. The soaps and creams ran the range of CO Bigelow to MdC. A special thanks to @Drygulch and @Douglas Carey for their generous gifts of Jeeves Bay Rum and Oleo El Caballero shaving soaps. I enjoyed using them both this month and look forward to using both throughout 2018.

Since it is the end of the year, I thought it would be appropriate to post a brief recap of my year in shaving. I will preface my comments by admitting I am a numbers geek and the girls would say I can take things a bit to far in that area. :D During 2017 I shaved each of the 365 available days. My usage of shaving brushes was somewhat evenly spread with the least use brush, Zenith B0, being used 4% of the time to the most used brush, Simpson Jade CH2 Synthetic, being used 9% of the time. I was able to complete 8 full size containers of soap during 2017 with 7 of these soaps having been used previous to 2017. I showed a clear preference for SE razors during the year using them for 228 shaves or 62.47%. I also have a clear preference for my favorite or as I can them my 1st string razors having used them 86% of the time. I am content with my shave den and do not plan any major additions. That of course is subject to change. ;) I do plan on thinning out some of my less used razors and brushes during 2018.

I do want to thank the members of the 30DC for a fantastic year. The friendship and fellowship of this thread provides a sense of community that is difficult to achieve anywhere much less on an internet forum. I have enjoyed following along as new members mastered the technique and in turn have helped newer members develop their skills. As always the banter and shenanigans provide a break from the normal day to day routine. Thanks again for the opportunity to follow along and participate. I am looking forward to a great 2018.

8. PickledNorthern

It is the price one pays to be able to live next to this:

[​IMG]

Or be able to take your family swimming and have entire lakes to yourself on the weekends:

[​IMG]

But it really can suck for five months out of the year, and every year as our kids get close to raised and on their own, the U-Haul conversation takes place more and more.

Now if we can just figure out where we can retire to that’s warm, near water, with no people around, and live on less than six figures, we’re set.

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jared. Happy New Year.:eatdrink047:

Drygulch, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim

Drygulch, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 3 others like this.
  11. PickledNorthern

It has been good having you around. Good luck getting the Toggle back.

12. PickledNorthern

I think that falls under the “Work Smart, Not Hard” provision someplace.

Drygulch, sdguero, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  13. PickledNorthern

Beautiful shave, Sir. That is simply gorgeous hardware.

14. BaylorGator

When you figure that out, let me know. Each winter here, the population more than doubles. I grew up to hate “snow birds” as the non natives encroach on the restaurants, highways and everything else, making everyday living a bit less enjoyable. The older I get, the more I realize the snowbird gig ain’t so bad if you are one of them. It’d be awesome to be able to spend half the year in your neck of the woods and half in mine. Maybe we can rob a bank together and pull it off for retirement.

Drygulch, sdguero, Screwtape and 7 others like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

That is a great write up, Clint. It was great shaving with you.

Drygulch, sdguero, Screwtape and 5 others like this.
  16. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent photo of good gear Clint.

Good picture with beautiful tools Mark.

17. PickledNorthern

Thanks, Buddy!

Happy New Year!

18. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Timeless 95 OC
    JR223
    Nacet
    Stirling Ozark Mountain

No time for a photo but since I loaned out the Blackland Blackbird, I grabbed the 95 OC. It is such a fantastic shaver. Very smooth.

I gotta say, spending a month with my 1st synthetic, I'm thinking I like it better than my badgers. It is stiff enough to make loading easy and soft enough to splay nicely while face lathering. I love the brush @Jayaruh. Thanks again.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Drygulch, sdguero, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Excellent recap Clint. I always enjoy your posts. Happy New Year!

Drygulch, sdguero, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
  20. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jared. Happy New Year.

Thank you Doug and stay warm.

Thank you Brian and Happy New Year. I know you're very excited about the move.

Drygulch, sdguero, LOOT and 5 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.