DECember 2017 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2017.

?

What would you like to find in your stocking this Christmas?

1. A decadent Gillette Toggle or other rare vintage DE

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. A decadent mint condition SE razor from the early 20th century

3 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. A decadent vintage straight razor, restored to perfection.

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  4. A puck or two of your favorite decadent soap or cream

8 vote(s)
    21.1%
  5. A luxurious and decadent High Mountain Badger brush (or your favorite type)

9 vote(s)
    23.7%
  6. A plate of decadent cookies.

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  7. Anything besides a lump of coal. Because coal isn't decadent. It's just depressing.

21 vote(s)
    55.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

No, I was on my laptop. I see it without problems. It should be embedded in that post.

Drygulch, mrchick, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

DEcember 31st
    Cooper MonoBilt w Wizamet SI
    B&M Cheshire SS
    27mm Omega/ Walnut & Brass
    Thayers
    Barrister’s Reserve Spice
    E1FA6824-A67A-42AC-B7DD-81B72184AF02.jpeg
    Pulled out the MonoBilt for one more shave before sending it to the beauty salon. The Cheshire was a nice lather, with a scent that I’d use if I already owned it, but wouldn’t go out and buy, if that makes any sense. Another easy 3 pass BBS with this awesome piece of engineering. Used the Wizamet SI blade that came as part of my recent raffle prize. Had a few weepers, actually. Overall, a great shave finished off with one of my favourite scents. Good times.

This finishes off DEcadent DEcember for me. I stayed pretty much on focus and used this MonoBilt for half the month, and my British Aristocrat Jr for the other half. I rotated through samples for the entire month. I had some Stirling samples of my own, and had accumulated other samples that came as gifts, trades or pifs from Adam, John and Randy. I used a few Catie’s Bubbles, a TOBS, a few more B&Ms, a Jeeves and a few Stirlings. I’d say that a few amongst these are keepers for me. I really liked the TOBS Jermyn St and will probably get a full puck in triple milled form in the future. The Jeeves Key Lime is a super soap as well, and I was already a Jeeves fan. The Stirling Baker St is the favourite of mine from my many Stirling samples and I grew to really like the B&M Lavanille. The other B&M samples, a few Stirlings (already have a bunch in tubs anyway) and the Catie’s won’t be purchases for me. Too many others I like.
    As for the razors, the MonoBilt I got in a trade with Andrew has moved right to the top of my razor list. If any of you get a chance to pick one up, do, as I cannot recommend it higher. My Aristocrat Jr was much smoother, but not nearly the stubble assassin that the Cooper was. Two DEcadent vintages, I think.

Allow me to join in the chorus of wishing you all a Happy New Year, and may 2018 bring good times to us all.
    Have a great day!

Drygulch, mrchick, NCoxSTL and 7 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

DECember Relative Decadence

Tabac Original soap
    30 DC LE Cypress Cashmere
    Suribachi bowl, warm water
    '59 Gillette #195 on nine
    Feather Hi-Stainless
    Pinaud Clubman AS
    Raw Shea butter

SOTD 12312017 feather.gif
    Finishing out the year with a few of my favorite bits of kit and happy to have a Band of Shaving Brothers to share it with. Thanks to Neal for the tub of soap. The scent reminds me of my grandmother who's house I live in that would have been 116 today. Using the brush that Jason fashioned from a bit of wood from dad's orchard is always a pleasure. I'm headed there shortly to make sure the sprinkler system is functional because the forecast is for temps in the 20°F range the next five days. Those two items and a bit of warm water stirred up a great lather that the old DE swiped away leaving me smooth and error free. Skipped the alum and splashed on Ed's Finest, and finished with a bit of unrefined shea butter melted in my hands and rubbed in. I worked the remaining USB into my hands for the expected cold outdoor work.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

Drygulch, mrchick, NCoxSTL and 9 others like this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

OK I'll look for it. I like to go back and reply to old posts anyway :). But then when someone suddenly writes something in it, my work gets destroyed, lol.

Drygulch, mrchick, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Great looking grain on your 30 DC brush handle Rick.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Drygulch, jtspartan, clint64 and 5 others like this.
  6. Paul Turner

and now the video turned up blank in The Stoylin Exchange.. grrrr.

Drygulch, clint64, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  7. jtspartan

Those are very fitting combos and pics to end a month of DEcadence, Gentlemen.

Drygulch, clint64, sdguero and 6 others like this.
  8. jtspartan

Your photo collages and summaries are a highlight every month, Clint! The way you track your shave product percentages leads me to suspect that you chose wisely in your career choice:)

Drygulch, mrchick, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  9. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Excellent presentation of your December shaves Clint. I also look forward to seeing your monthly shave summary.

Drygulch, clint64, sdguero and 5 others like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Oh is this what Joanna meant..that we summarize our shaves at the end of each month?

11. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Beautiful scenery, Jared. That is a tough set of requirements to meet!

12. Norcalnewb

:Animatedfrozensmily:

Great picture, Doug!

13. Norcalnewb

Great picture, Perry! I like the B&W set up. Hopefully, it helped you feel a bit better.

14. Norcalnewb

Beautiful picture, Jason!

15. Norcalnewb

That brush really pops in the picture, Rick!

16. Norcalnewb

563950EE-7A9F-412F-8B08-BE0018C02BAC.jpeg

DECember 31 SOTD:

Stirling Synthetic Brush
    Stirling Sandalwood
    Gillette Toggle
    Stirling Unscented PSB
    Stirling Sandalwood AS

I wrapped up his month with a favorite scent of both my wife and I. The lather was slick and cushiony, just like a typical Stirling lather. The Toggle did its job effortlessly, and I got a nice DFS to start my Sunday.

I've greatly enjoyed this month, once again. You all make for lots of good times. Thank you! I am looking forward to January with everyone and I wish each of you a Happy New Year!

Drygulch, mrchick, Screwtape and 7 others like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful shave to end the year Perry. Love the B&W photo.

Now that is a great piece of kit to use for the final shave of the year. The MonoBilt sounds like a fantastic razor but I am going to resist the temptation. At least for now. ;)

Great year end lineup and photo. Happy New Year.

Fantastic photo and lineup to end the year Jim. Happy New Year.

Drygulch, mrchick, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  18. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

LOL is an overused phrase online, but that actually made me laugh out loud. :rofl: You may return the favor in nine years, assuming I last that long. At this rate, it’s questionable. Yesterday my nine year old daughter stated that when she is older she is going to drink rum because that’s what all the best drinks are made with. I’m not sure where she latched on to this information, as I almost never drink rum.

Drygulch, mrchick, Screwtape and 8 others like this.
  19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jason. I might go little overboard with spreadsheets. The girls say it is a form of illness. I have worksheets for my firearms hobby to keep track of the round count for maintaining the weapons, my reloading equipment to keep track supplies as well my motorcycle keeping track of the service history and costs. You know the girls might just be right. :happy097:

Thank you Amigo. :happy088:

Drygulch, mrchick, Screwtape and 7 others like this.
  20. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Clint! Happy New Year!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.