What is your favorite razor?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marine68, Dec 18, 2017.

1. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Lol! Thank you!

2. Mimo

Mimo New Member

Mine would prob be the Edwin jagger DE89L

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Jim99, Enrico and twhite like this.
  3. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

DE:- Gillette Ball End Tech, iKon X3 Slant, Muhle R41 v2013, Fatip Testina Gentile & Schöne Italian
    SE:- Colonial Razors "The General" Stainless Steel
    GEM:- Micromatic Bullet Tip
    Travel:- Parker Variant Adjustable

twhite and Mimo like this.
  4. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

Right now I'm loving my Futur. Took some experimentation to find the right setting, but now that I have found it, I'm in shaving heaven.

BigMike, twhite and RyX like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Tom's The Bunny Razor is a special beast. It was conceived, built, and tested right in front of our collective eyes here on TSD. An Injector with three different open combs. I enjoy a Feather blade in a Fat Boy on setting nine. The Bunny gives a closer shave, yet.
    B-V3.1.gif SOTD 09102017.gif

Primotenore, Keithmax, Jim99 and 5 others like this.
  6. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

I tried it this morning for the first time ... i learned one thing by trial and error, the small sliding "switch" thing on underside of injector needs to be in down position. It was in the up position and was not cutting any whiskers at all :):):):) took me a few minutes to figure it out.
    I obviously need to learn the angle of this Schick and maybe even try a different blade as my first shave was not nearly as comfortable as my Blackbird or Rockwell .. it took most of my stubble off in 2-passes but left me some irritation which i never have. I used the injector first on setting 3 which to me seemed really mild .. ended up on setting 5 which seemed better but still not as smooth nor effecient as my Blackbird ..
    I'm not giving up though :happy088:, i was told it takes a few shaves to learn the angle etc. I also got some different blades to try .. the blade i tried was CVS injector

Keithmax and RyX like this.
  7. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

My 1955 Gillette Red tip with a shimmed Spoiler loaded. Can't feel the blade and the whiskers just disappear.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Primotenore, RyX and Keithmax like this.
  8. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

THAT'S the answer... Yeah, what he said!

Herm

Enrico and twhite like this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

RazoRock MJ-90 and the RazoRock Mamba.

Keithmax and Linuxguile like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

The MJ-90 with the A plate is amazing and so is the Mamba, but I still prefer the Baby Smooth over both of them.

11. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Favorite shaver: Pre-war Fat Handle Tech. Favorite to just admire: 1928 New Standard

Enrico likes this.
  12. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I love mine too mate! GREAT razor

13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

20180104_164415_preview.jpg I have a few favorites in my den, but these two would be at the top. '48-'50 Gillette Aristocrat and 1961 Gillette Fatboy. Based on performance and looks as they both shave similar, with the Fatboy on #6. And both have worked out great with every blade I've used in them. Providing me with excellent BBS shaves. Just my opinion of course.

14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

Gillette tech and fat boy, along with the timeless razor. I know...thats 3. Sue me. I can't pick just 1.

Enrico, RyX and Linuxguile like this.
  15. danbuter

danbuter Well-Known Member

The best razor I've ever used is my Schick Type M adjustable Injector. Love it!

twhite, LuvWetShavin, RyX and 2 others like this.
  16. Macktheknife

Macktheknife Active Member

Gillette super speed.

RyX and LuvWetShavin like this.
  17. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

This is a tough one, but I would have to say, Grandpas old tech, and Rocket.
    The tech just plows down anything in its path, and the Rocket delivers quality every day shaves, without any fuss. It just does its job tirelessly.
    If I ever can find either a fatboy, or slim for a decent (not NOS pricing when it was a daily user) price im sure that it will replace my rocket, but for now, I will stick with those 2.

Enrico, RyX and LuvWetShavin like this.
  18. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Merkur Futur with an Astra SP blade. Beyond its aggressiveness, I like the uniquely large gap and vents which keep the razor from clogging.

twhite likes this.
  19. iShave

iShave New Member

Wolfman .54 it’s not only beautiful it’s one of the only razors I can use daily without a built up of irritation. Charcoal Goods Level 1 is another winner for me, those two have been the best razors I’ve come across and I’ve boughten or tried most of the high end newer DE razors.

20. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

Gonna sound crazy to you traditionalists, but if you cut me down to just one razor (and I have more than 15, I think) my go-to razor would be my Pearl SHD33. It's got a nice heft, a little less weight than my Merkur 38C, and it's a shade more aggressive. Things don't seem to line up dead-nuts perfect on it, but you can't tell that by the shaving performance, which is great. The handle shape and texture are the most comfortable of all my razors. In comparison, I find the Merkur 38C, which is close in weight and size to that Pearl, a bit slippery and it tired my hand at first (it was the first DE I bought when I got back into DE's), but I'm used to it now. It's just not aggressive enough though, and a bit too handle heavy for good "feel". I have none of these problems with that Pearl. I use Astra and Gillette Silver Blues.

Next in line are the various Gillettes of various vintages. The Tech is simple and hard to beat. I'm a retired mechanical engineer formerly working in fields requiring great precision, and I am always amazed a the precision of these little stamped-out devils -- how precise they locate the blade, how uniform they are. They are fairly mild; it takes a good deal of carelessness to cut yourself with a Tech -- not that I haven't, of course. My favorite Tech is my Canadian pre-war triangle-hole fat-handle. It seems a little more aggressive to me than the post war ones. I also have a Gillette New short comb, and it is reasonably aggressive, quite a bit more than the Pearl mentioned above. This is another precision tool, and I love it best when I use it in the rare cases when I have 2 or 3 day's growth. I have come to dislike my Slim Adjustable and the other butterfly tops. They shave great, but the adjustment needs to be all the way aggressive for me, and the heads feel too clunky -- it takes some fiddling to do a good job under the corners of my nose and ears. Your nose may vary, of course, not to mention your ears.

Cheers!
    Tony

Primotenore, AGHisBBS and twhite like this.