Martin De Candre (MDC) Rose

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by markjnewcomb, Jan 2, 2018.

1. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I saw that MDC made a batch of Rose scented soap for the holidays. I am wondering if anyone has tried it and how they like the scent. I ordered a jar, which should be here in a couple of weeks.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Love the MdC soap, but I've never been a fan of any 'rose-fragrance' product.
    I look forward to reading of your experiences with it! :happy088:

3. markjnewcomb

I received my Rose scented MDC yesterday and tried it this morning. It was everything I had hoped for. It is MDC, and therefore, lathers just like any other MDC. IMHO, one of the best.

The rose scent is not too heavy and and of fine quality, The scent is very similar to that of "Rose of Bulgaria", which is my favorite rose scent.

This was a special mix for the holidays. I ordered it direct from MDC on the second. There is a label stating it is "147/370", so there may be some left.

All in all, I am very pleased.

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Congrats on getting the soap. I have not tried the Rose. I did buy some of the limited release MdC Vetiver earlier this year. It too is everything that I hoped it would be.

5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Love Rose. MdC is a good soap, I have two, but imo---over priced. When mine are gone, I will not repurchase. (That might be a while!)

brit, Frijolero and markjnewcomb like this.
  6. markjnewcomb

It's the fact that it takes so long to run through a jar of MDC that makes it economical for me. I have a regular scent jar that is at least 7/8 full. I bought it in April and MDC is my daily soap (about 6 out of 7 days).

Frijolero likes this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Definitely lasts quite a while. However, the quality is, imo, only good at best. I want great on my face. :)

Frijolero and markjnewcomb like this.
  8. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

I made this purchase last month and have been using the MDC Rose ever since. Rose is my favorite flavor but I am a fan of MWF, Tabac, TOBS Sandalwood, SV Manna di Sicilia, Omega Aquae, PAA Aqua D, .. ;-) you get the picture..

Frijolero, theFAT98 and markjnewcomb like this.
  9. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

I agree fully. I got rid of it. Lathered like crazy but terrible post shave and not the slickest in my opinion.

Frijolero likes this.
  10. MacDaDad

It may be that the only taste I have is in my mouth but? I rather enjoy the MDC Rose and find it's lather quite slick and post shave leaves my face feeling BBS. YMMV ;-) As of recent I've been face lathering which I find easier and preps my face better than bowl lathering. I'm a fan of the mostly light scented soaps, and leave the aroma to the aftershaves and such.

Frijolero, markjnewcomb and theFAT98 like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

how does mdc compare to czech and speake ? i want one blow your socks off top shelf soap for special occasions. my most expensive products are cf lavender and truefitt lime.

Frijolero likes this.
  12. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Mdc is a quality soap for sure but look at the ingredients. There is not much in it to help moisturize your face.

Thats my main problem with it. If im paying top dollar it needs to do everything great.

13. MacDaDad

I once knew a Lady...

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

MdC rose has a good bit of benzoin resin in it as most of their fragrances do (not sure fougere has any and pretty sure agrumes doesn't). This makes it a bit of a rose-chypre scent though I wouldn't call it 'woody'.

It's a very soluble soap so it's pretty easy to overload the brush or get the lather underhydrated. If the lather almost drips off your face, you'll find it slick and the post shave is great IMO, but I like clean skin with nothing on it post shave. It always leaves my skin very soft.

Cheers, Steve

15. markjnewcomb

I agree. I think that when MDC gets thin, it gets almost as slick as ABC (Antica Barbieria Cola - the slickest I have used).

I use a straight almost every day. I usually do three passes, but will occasionally do 4. I load my brush for a count of 4. This is not a count of "one - one thousand, two - one thousand", but simply a count of "one, two, three, four". I always have enough left over for at least one more pass, and usually have enough for two additional passes.

I read postings where people say they load their brushes for 30 or 45 seconds and am amazed that they would need that much soap.

16. MacDaDad

I'm surprised there aren't more wet shavers who like the Rose scent. Isn't the Rose scent, the scent of Kings? I figured that most of we wet shavers were kings of sorts. :) I have on hand TOBS Rose, CRSW Summer Rose, Wickham 1912 English Rose, MDC Rose, and I like em all.. Wickham is kind of a strange one but it's doable.. Oh well ...

17. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

MdC rose like many of their other scents have benzoin resin in them so their rose is not exactly a teaditional one. Benzoin is a resin like cade, and is pretty common in Provençal scents. But the rose-benzoin scent is quite different from traditional rose scents, at least the 2 jars I have. I suspect that if you left the lid off it would mellow nicely.

Cheers, Steve

Frijolero and MacDaDad like this.
  18. MacDaDad

I wouldn't know the difference in what makes a proper rose scent and what makes a artificial rose scent. Only my nose knows. At my age I'm not too worried about chemicals and compounds. LOL But I do like the scent of rose..

19. Martin-j

Martin-j Well-Known Member

I was in NYC today and stopped at Pasteur Pharmacy. The have all flavors of MdC on the shelf, including rose. To my nose, they are all fantastic scents, and had a heck of a time deciding which on to get. I walked out with the fougere and look forward to trying it out tomorrow. After reading so many positive comments, i sure hope it lives up to its billing. Stuff is expensive!!

clint64, Frijolero and MacDaDad like this.
  20. MacDaDad

The initial cost is an eye opener but once you start lathering, it seems to stay full in the jar forever. Enjoy ;)

jwr3265, clint64 and Frijolero like this.