Here's my watch of the day

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Eeyore, Sep 3, 2015.

1. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I love old watches and have quite a few hand-me-down watches as well as razors and brushes and fountain pens.

Mom's 1941 engagement present Parker "51" with Dad's 1943 Elgin
    [​IMG]

2. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Here's my Omega Seamaster 600 with a new strap.[​IMG]

3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

January 1 :)

[​IMG]

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

wristwatchb, Keithmax, gorgo2 and 4 others like this.
  4. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Pretty much the main watch for the foreseeable future.

[​IMG]

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

From the looks of it, there's no future to see!

Keithmax, Eeyore and gorgo2 like this.
  6. jar

jar Well-Known Member

You need the X-Ray glasses to really see it. But Dick Tracy had one.

7. jar

jar Well-Known Member

So an update.

The new carrier has been fine, no coverage issues at all. The new phone and watch are still a learning experience but I've been able to uninstall or at least turn off the most annoying "Advantages" that came on them.

The watch connects to the phone by Bluetooth when I have both and also has it's own line should I go out and forget my phone. In addition if I do not answer the phone within 10 seconds of the first ring it forwards the call to my watch so should someone call me while the phone is at home and I'm not the call can still get forwarded to me. For calling out with just the watch it will either use my contacts list to voice dial or scroll names or present a numeric pad with the numbers arranged around the outer ring of the screen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

OK, I gotta admit, despite loving "old school" watches for their mechanical detail and artistic flair, that thing is pretty cool. Who makes that one?

9. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Really like that one!​

10. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

What no TV. :) Very impressive. :happy096:

11. jar

jar Well-Known Member

That is the Samsung Gear S3 Classic. Lots of variations for the standard watch face as well.

[​IMG]

I'm primarily a mechanical watch fan myself but damn it, none of them will make phone calls when I need it.

Keithmax and Douglas Carey like this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

No, I have a phone for that

I am afraid that smart watches only make smartphones more intrusive than they are already. But that's just my opinion :)

--

Douglas Carey and tuxxdk like this.
  13. jar

jar Well-Known Member

That may well be true but there is a background story in this case.

About a month ago I had a really, really bad vertigo attack. It was so bad I ended up on the floor of the bathroom and so sick there was absolutely no way I could have gotten to my cell phone that was only about six feet away from me and the land line phone might have been even closer. There was also a computer with internet connection in the bedroom so lots of communication means just a few feet away yet no way to get to them.

Now I have always worn a watch and had I needed help a phone watch would have been a way to get the help.

I use my smart phone to make calls and to send texts at times but that's about it. I don't listen to music, watch videos, surf the web or see where my friends are on the cell phone. I seldom use my cell phone for a camera.

When I get a new phone the first task is to uninstall 99% of the "Advantageous" apps that come with it; all the games, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, News Feeds, Restaurant Reviews ...

The watch was much the same. I either uninstalled or silenced all the heart rate monitors, step counters, health app, social media junk until what's left are the few apps silenced but not uninstallable, the phone and message capability.

So what I have is a watch that replaces those I've been wearing daily for well over a half century and the added safety of an independent communications line should I not be near a phone.

14. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

SKX007[​IMG]

--

15. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

And another Seiko today:
    [​IMG]

--

16. tuxxdk

tuxxdk International Penguin of Mystery

@Eeyore , I see you're a man of culture as well! Gotta love Seiko.

Douglas Carey and Eeyore like this.
  17. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Omega today again :)[​IMG]

--

Primotenore, gorgo2, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  18. tuxxdk

That's a very nice classy looking piece! How old is she?

Just got 3 vintage pieces back from service today. Will have to shoot some photos soon.

Keithmax and Eeyore like this.
  19. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

1963, I believe ... what will interest you is that I took this picture in Denmark today ;)

--

Keithmax likes this.
  20. tuxxdk

Fun fact of the day :D