What is your preferred pre-shave product?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Rusty blade, Jan 5, 2018.

?

What is your preferred pre-shave product?

1. Oil

13.7%
  2. Cream

13.7%
  3. Gel

3.9%
  4. Water

33.3%
  5. Bloom water

3.9%
  6. Something else

21.6%
  7. Nothing

9.8%
  1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

When I started shaving some warm water splashed on my face served as a pre-shave. When I hit the traditional wet-shaving world I experimented with various pre-shave oil combinations (e.g. grape seed oil, jojoba oil, almond oil...often flavoured with essentials oils). Then I discovered Proraso pre-shave creams and have them almost exclusively for the past year of so. There are other pre-shave creams, e.g. Prep, among others. An then there are some new gels on the market. I have tried Cella pre-shave gel and it works fine. I am thinking of migrating back to the pre-shave oils. Some don't use any pre-shave. Some use bloom water from their soap puck. This is a YMMV thing.

Which do you prefer: water, creams, gels, oils...or something else? Or nothing?

Keithmax and Demidog like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I used to use TSD preshave balm. Then I moved to Dirigo Blue PSO.
    Over the years I've learned lather can be made slicker by using just a touch more water. Since zeroing in that perfect product (soap or cream) to water ratio, I no longer use a preshave product.

TobyC, Keithmax, Bama Samurai and 2 others like this.
  3. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I actually began using pso daily about a year ago. I find it does nothing for the beard, but for me, it tends to help maintain hydration in my skin. I can’t say it improves each shave, but I can say for certain, I don’t have dry facial skin anymore:). I use body oil that’s found in drug stores and beauty products.

Tdmsu, Keithmax and Demidog like this.
  4. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

Using a straight, my oils are:
    Pass 1 (WTG) DIY Pre-shave oil (olive oil & Castor Oil)
    Pass 2 (XTG) Shave Secret
    Pass 3 (ATG)refresh shave secret with water

The DIY pre-shave oil, because it is thicker, works well on the first pass for me. The Shave Secret, being slicker, works well for the finishing passes.

Tdmsu, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Well, Mark; it appears that you just about cover all the bases;)

Keithmax and markjnewcomb like this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

I tried Shave Secret for a month or more. Didn't like the slightly clove/bay rum scent but I stuck with it as a test. Didn't see much difference using it, and no change when I stopped using it. Like Steve @swarden43, as I developed lathering skill a wetter mix gives me all the properties I was seeking. Could be a function of finding soaps with better qualities, but I'm still using many of the same soaps from when I first started years ago. If my soap &/or alcohol based AS leave me feeling dry I apply unrefined shea butter.

markjnewcomb, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  7. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

For my past two shaves I decided to use a PSO and I quite enjoyed it. For one I used jojoba oil (love that name) and the other was plain almond oil. Felt great. I guess it pays to never say never. I will use oil now and again...just to mix things up. I don't like getting to rigid with things. Keeps life interesting to change things up now and again!

RyX, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  8. pbrmhl

pbrmhl Well-Known Member

Sometimes I use Chatillon Lux pre-shave or Alt Innsbruck balm. The one I use most often is Myrsol Emulsion, which is great stuff. Usually, however, I don't use anything.

Tdmsu likes this.
  9. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I'm also a huge fan of Proraso pre-shave. I have very dry skin so moisturizing right before the shave works wonders. The best part about it is that it doesn't easily get wiped away after the first pass, yet it doesn't clog the razor or interfere with the blade. It works perfectly with the Proraso creams to enhance their slickness. The pre-shave cream practically ensures that I never get weepers unless I'm using a really dull blade.

I used to use TSD pre-shave balm but now I use that as more of a general moisturizer. I put a little on any dry patches that I have and take a shower, and by the time I'm all dried off, my skin is very soft and moisturized.

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I had a parallel experience.

RyX and Keithmax like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Warm to hottish water and a wash cloth. Wipe face then face lather....

Troy M, RyX and Keithmax like this.
  12. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Cold water mostly but I do use sweet almond oil occasionally.

Troy M and Keithmax like this.
  13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I use Nivea or Proraso. If I use the Nivea I apply it before I shower.

Demidog likes this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I voted "nothing" only because I can't really call water a pre-shave product in the truest sense of the word. If there had been a "hot shower" choice, that would have received my vote. Once in a blue moon, I use some AOS Lavender pre-shave oil, but only when I am using the AOS lavender tallow soap and the corresponding post shave products. Honestly, I can't say if it helps (or hurts).

Yehuda D, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  15. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I didn't vote, because I think all of them can work fine if used properly. I used Nivea Creme for a few years, but lately I've been using a couple of drops of beard oil.

The key is to lightly moisturize the skin without using so much product that you interfere with the lather.

16. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I started using Stirling's mentholated pre-shave soap a couple of months ago. I enjoy it but don't think it's necessary or vastly improves my shave quality. Before that I showered first and then splashed on a liberal amount of cold water before face lathering.

Yehuda D, Demidog and Keithmax like this.
  17. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    If I use a Pre-shave routine it is Plain ol' Noxema in the shower

Demidog and Keithmax like this.
  18. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

A wet washcloth and water. I leave my face wet and start face lathering.

TobyC and Keithmax like this.
  19. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I use plain water and it works for me.

Yehuda D and Keithmax like this.
  20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Well, my choice is having trouble leaving the gate! I had to think for a bit, but the bodywashes I use are all in sort of a gel form.

Keithmax likes this.