Best way to lather?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Marine68, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

Bowl or Face or another way? What technique do you use?

I face lather would like to learn how to bowl lather.

RyX and Spyder like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Best way is your way. I can't stand face lathering. Many love it. It's your shave. Enjoy it your way.

Joanna asked me to do this for folks who buy her soaps but are not on the forum. It is how I lather all my soaps. Bottom line, though, is have to learn how to use the tools YOU have.
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/lathering-tsd-soaps.27563/

RyX, Spyder and Marine68 like this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I started out bowl lathering. I still bowl lather whenever I get a new brush or a new soap. However, when I shave, I just face lather. To me, it is more efficient and more enjoyable. I load my soaps for about 30 seconds and then go straight to my prepared face. I start on my neck, go to the cheeks, and then everything else. For soft creams like TOBS, I do three or four swirls and then go to the face to build my lather. For tube creams, I take about 3/4 inch dollop on my finger tip and smear it on my prepared face. Then I build my lather. For sticks, I prepare my face and then just rub it directly on my cheeks and neck. Then I build my lather. I build enough lather in the brush for a second pass and still have to wash lather down the drain. That is my way, and I enjoy it.

Spyder and Marine68 like this.
  4. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I typically face lather. I find it to be easier to dial in the water, and enjoy the scrubbing feeling of the brush.

5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I usually do a combination of bowl and face lathering. All in, it takes me less than a minute. I’ll build my lather by first vigorously swirling my brush on my soap, whipping up the lather in the bowl (for straight razor shaves, otherwise I skip the bowl) and then do a quick face lather.

It works for me!

6. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I started in a bowl, then moved to scuttles, and have now been face lathering for several years.

I like the face lathering for its simplicity.

After amassing a huge collection of gear, I am now a one razor, one brush person.

I have a handful of soaps, a few brand of blades, and a bunch of aftershaves.

7. Marine68

I am headed the same route I have one more razor I want to get. I have a couple more brushes I want to get. I am set on blades and soaps and after shave. I want to start enjoy the savings the reason I switched shave methods.

Spyder and Jim99 like this.
  8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Both. When I use the scuttle I use a hybrid method like @Jim99 , because I like warm lather. Otherwise I face lather. It’s great having options.

Marine68 and Jim99 like this.
  9. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Why?

LevelupShaves, RyX and Spyder like this.
  10. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Very simple BOTH ;)

Jim99, Marine68 and Spyder like this.
  11. Marine68

Why not?

RyX, Jim99 and Spyder like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Apologies, didn't mean to sound curt. Are you addressing an issue or just knowledge for knowledge sake?

Lather is just an ideal ratio of soap, water, and air. The method is irrelevant to the end result. I face lather exclusively, but see no method as superior.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
  13. Marine68

No worries!!! Just to have the knowledge and the optIon to do it. I like to learn all I can about things I am involved in.

RyX, Bama Samurai and Spyder like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I face lather soaps and creams. The exception is when I use my Dirty Bird Scuttle....I should use it more. Bowls are just something else to pack.

Marine68 likes this.
  15. nikos.a

nikos.a Well-Known Member

Bowl lather all the way.

Marine68 likes this.
  16. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Face lather, regardless of soap or cream. Never mastered bowl lathering.

Marine68 and Bama Samurai like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Most people don't use a bowl and brush as intended. In barber bowl lathering, the brush never touches the face, and lather is applied by hand. Since my brush isn't shared to make lather for a whole shop, I face lather.

Marine68 and Troy M like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

I started off face lathering with VDH soaps and boar brushes. Tried to make a lather in an Old Spice mug but found it too small to get what I desired. Read about suribachi bowls, bought one, and 95% of my lathers are made in it now. I prefer larger diameter knots and find the sloping sides and wider shape of these bowls offer a better palette for getting to my desired consistency. I'm not shy about loading soap which tends to make an excess of lather. Working in a bowl lets me gauge how wet the batch really is. If I need a little water I run my brush under a trickle of water above the soap line and work it more. If I need more soap, just go back to the puck. My preference is for hard soaps that do require more loading time than croaps or creams. When I get to optimal mix I catch up on brush to beard time with plenty of scrubbing.
    My way is better for me. Your opinion my vary (YOMV!)

dustmite, Marine68 and Troy M like this.
  19. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

I'm usually bowl, although I've tried face the last couple of weeks. Just my observations

1. Face lathering is faster, in that you don't have to build it in a bowl and then on your face, as I imagine lots of people end up doing some kind of hybrid method like @RyX above. I know I usually do.

2. I find it easier to get my lather right in a bowl. And by right, I mean the way I like it.

(Oooh first time I get to use the term...)
    You know, YMMV.

Not saying that I can't get a lather I like on my face, but I tend to find because of diluting the lather at the start and then continuing with a wet face, by the last pass it's a little too thin.

3. There's more to clean up if you bowl lather. You have to wash and dry your bowl!

So that's it. I like both ways but I have a feeling I lean towards bowl lathering.

jbo667, RyX and Marine68 like this.
  20. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Face lather. I use hard soaps, so theres really no reason to bowl lather. You half build the lather when you are loading up the brush and you can finish it up on your face. If I used cream from a tube, Id probably bowl/mug lather though.

LevelupShaves, RyX and Marine68 like this.