Gillette Adjustable Friday ; Toggles, Fat Boys, Slims, and Black Beauties welcome!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RyX, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

2. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Thanks Fuzzy, I'm feeling a little better.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

RyX and sdguero like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Awesomelicious!! A solid Williams and Aqua Velva shave will cure most of what ails you.

sdguero likes this.
  4. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I would’ve participated in GAF but I didn’t shave either. My bride and I helped out our two college boys as they returned to school after Christmas break. Hopefully I’ll be able to use one of my Gillette adjustables next week.

I hope you’re feeling better, Clayton.

wchnu and RyX like this.
  5. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

RE is hit or miss. Be very careful sending your gear there. There are much better options.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

6. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I used him for 3 razors. Can't go wrong here.

RyX likes this.
  7. chevyguy

I heard supposedly Razor Emporium has improved their customer service. The important thing is keeping the parts from getting mixed up, that's where Quality Control comes in.

Clayton

LOOT likes this.
  8. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Honestly, with all the snow, I forgot about it being Friday and just went with the FB Tech. I'm a tad surprised that the Dollar Store Dorco did so well for you with the Super Adjustable. I like the with a Tech but have never been fond of any experience I've had with them in a SuperSpeed, Fatboy, or Slim. What setting did you use?

As they say, YMMV.

LOOT and sdguero like this.
  9. chevyguy

I'm feeling better this morning. It's just a bad cold. I might shave this morning, feels like a Stirling Bay Rum Morning. Thank you for the well wishes everyone.

Clayton

wchnu, LOOT and sdguero like this.
  10. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Agreed. You'd think getting back what you sent in would be kinda important. RazorPlate does 1 razor at a time to eliminate that scenario in his shop.

The big question to ask, imo, is how the plater strips the original finish. As I understood it, RazorPlate is the only one who uses a chemical bath. The chemical bath will not strip base metal (brass)..any other process inherently removes some brass.

Another important decision is whether or not you want your razor plated as a whole, or in pieces. I chose to have CAP disassemble the razors, and RazorPlate plated individual pieces. CAP then reassembles the razor, paints, and adjusts the razor to factory Gillette specifications. The additional time and expense was a no brainer to me. In return, I got received heirloom quality pieces that are much, much better than new and I have the peace of mind know for certain there is no exposed brass on the internals.

RE is an option, for sure. With a little research, better options can be had tho. I've used RE and RazorPlate. For me, there is no option.

Herm2502 and RyX like this.
  11. chevyguy

Does RazorPlate do gold plating?. I have a Fat Handle Tech that needs replating.

Herm2502 and LOOT like this.
  12. RyX

RyX DoH!

That idea of plating the razor while disassembled by an expert, and reassembled with tune up to original specs - sounds like the way to go. Not just shiny, but better than new.
    Do some replaters do their procedures with the razor still assembled?

LOOT likes this.
  13. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Oh heck Yes! Scroll through the pictures, the Chrome Toggle (nickel plated) and Gold Toggle are mine. I believe the Rhodium Fatboy is mine too, they were all there together.

http://www.razorplate.com/p/photo-gallery-2.html?m=1

Herm2502 likes this.
  14. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Yes, RazorPlate will plate a whole razor. I think CAP charges $25 to do his thing, plus you add 2 rounds of shipping costs if you disassemble and plate parts.

I don't know how RE plates, website doesn't say. I did notice the site now says chemical strip so they could have changed their stripping process.

Even so, they just aren't an option to me.

RyX likes this.
  15. chevyguy

Nice looking razors. It makes me want to get my 1955 Redtip, and 1965 Slim replated too.

Clayton

LOOT and RyX like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Any if my adjustables stay on 9. Never had a blade not work in a razor unless it was dull. Blades are blades. Not saying you are but most people use YMMV to cover for technique issues.

LOOT likes this.
  17. jar

jar Well-Known Member

"I'm sure I'll take you with pleasure!" the Queen said. "Two pence a week, and jam every other day."
    Alice couldn't help laughing, as she said, "I don't want you to hire me – and I don't care for jam."
    "It's very good jam," said the Queen.
    "Well, I don't want any to-day, at any rate."
    "You couldn't have it if you did want it," the Queen said. "The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday – but never jam to-day."
    "It must come sometimes to 'jam to-day'," Alice objected.
    "No, it can't," said the Queen. "It's jam every other day: to-day isn't any other day, you know."
    "I don't understand you," said Alice. "It's dreadfully confusing!"
    Gillette adjustable yesterday and Gillette adjustable tomorrow -- but never Gillette adjustable today.

[​IMG]

MR41, brit, Herm2502 and 4 others like this.
  18. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

It's not so much that the blade didn't work as the shave was very uncomfortable (to me) with both the Fatboy and the Slim.

FWIW, @NCoxSTL put the STD-301 through his Grand Blade Trials back in August. His weapon of choice was a Fatboy. The relevant posts were:
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...cus-pix-discussion.56861/page-70#post-1301509
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...cus-pix-discussion.56861/page-76#post-1302199
    http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...cus-pix-discussion.56861/page-82#post-1302792

Based on his observations regarding the thinness of the blade, I posited that the issues he and I were seeing were related to blade chatter. I have nothing solid to back it up other than to see that my experiences were like night and day once I started using the STD-301 in a three-piece razor.

I'm slightly tempted to pull out one of my SA's and give it a go.

RyX, NCoxSTL and LOOT like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've run a few different blades through my '59 E-4, but always get good service with a Feather on #9. I think I have a tuck of Dorco's, but I'll have to check to see which number series.
    Tonight's weapon of choice.
    Fat Boy 01062018.gif

MR41, brit, Herm2502 and 3 others like this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The only other Gillette adjustable I have is a I-1 I think it is Slim. I will put this same blade in it next friday and see how it goes. I did not notice any problem with the blade in the SA. Except I managed to nick my ear some how. I was making a video...that I did not post...so talking too much as usual probably.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.