What is your preferred pre-shave product?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Rusty blade, Jan 5, 2018.

?

What is your preferred pre-shave product?

1. Oil

13.7%
  2. Cream

13.7%
  3. Gel

3.9%
  4. Water

33.3%
  5. Bloom water

3.9%
  6. Something else

21.6%
  7. Nothing

9.8%
  1. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

Hot wet towel for about 30 seconds then bowel lather.

TobyC likes this.
  2. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Sounds messy.

John Beeman, EnglishChannel and Col C like this.
  3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

But he puts the towel on the rack, THEN does the bowl lather(I'd presume anyway).

EnglishChannel likes this.
  4. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

In an ideal world, I would use bloom water, but realistically...i typically just you water since I don't usually bloom my soaps (since most soaps are really ore like croaps these days).

5. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Beat me to it :happy088::happy097:

gwsmallwood likes this.
  6. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

meant "bowl"

TobyC and gwsmallwood like this.
  7. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I regularly use a Noxzema Cleansing cream type product, but also use the bloom water before that if I bloom a soap.
    This stuff (TCD Shave Butter) is GREAT!!! Very much the consistency of Noxzema with a wonderful scent.
    Matador_EverReady_TOON.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  8. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Mainly I used is cold water straight from the tap as my pre-shave for less then 2 days growth, and if you have about 4 or 5 days growth I used 4 drops of Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil easy peasy and give it a real good rub. You can save heaps of money on pre-shave crap product.

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I have been using an unscented glycerin soap by Wickham’s. I’m not sure if it actually makes any difference.

10. SHAVEWIZARD420

SHAVEWIZARD420 Well-Known Member

I usually use a pre shave soap, although it is not necessary it does add a layer of slickness and helps me to take my time to get the best shave possible.

My favorite pre shave soap is one I made myself by mixing some shave soap that didn't make the cut, plus added some extra oils, butters, and menthol. Makes any lather nice and cooling.

11. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

Shower then shave. No extra products. I tried preshave oils but never noticed any added benefit.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TobyC likes this.
  12. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Has anyone tried "Prep" pre-shave cream? I just received a jar in the mail today...and at first sniff it smells just like Noxema. Will give it a whirl tomorrow.

13. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I just use a splash of water as my pre shave. Never really gave any pre shaves a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobyC likes this.
  14. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

I tried Prep and it has a scent profile similar to Noxema, but it does have a nice quality in terms of moisturising. I guess that's why they call it Prep. I will use it in rotation with my other pre-shave creams/gels/oils.

15. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

I voted for something else because I vary between oil, cream and face soap as a pre shave. I don't have time to shower in the morning, so I wash my face with a glycerin soap and rinse incompletely or reapply a bit before lathering. I also use CL butters and salves sometimes, those do not improve the shave, but they do improve the post shave feel of any lather I use.

16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The hubby & I both use pre-shave oil. I make it; it’s cheap, easy and I can scent them the way we like. We each have a couple of scents we use. We have both found that it reduces razor friction.

17. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Soap and water, usually via a shower.

Troy M likes this.
  18. Der Koenig

Der Koenig Member

I rub in cream or soap with fingers then let it sit fo a bit before lathering with the brush. This after a shower..

19. Harry Lime

Harry Lime Member

Proraso, adds slickness and smells great.

20. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

Real traditional, or the modern version? :p What did your grandpappy use? :rolleyes:

I use a hot, wet, washcloth, and scrub against the grain, I don't want some slimy goop on my face or my razor! :prrr: