Schick Proline B-20 Blades

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by dustmite, Jan 9, 2018.

1. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

I placed an order for a 20 pack of these from @Linuxguile on Andrew's Shave Shop. I just got them in the mail today, and loaded a single into a half-empty Chick dispenser I have, and then into my Pal InjectoMatic. (It took longer to type up than to actually do!) I have it ready for tomorrow morning, and I'm really looking forward to finding out what all the fuss is with these blades!

AGHisBBS, Redfisher, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I think you'll really enjoy them! They feel more rigid to me than a Chick blade. Sharp but not too sharp. Look forward to hearing your impressions!

Redfisher, Jim99, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Looking forward to seeing your impressions.

Redfisher, PLAla and dustmite like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I have a pack in the mail from Andrew. I will be using them next week.

5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Seems like extra work when the blades already in a magazine give great shaves. I can shoot a rabbit with a .300 win mag....its no deader then if shot with a .22.

palmolive fox, Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  6. dustmite

It's really easy and quick to load a blade. Took about 30 seconds, and I took a nice long look at it between cartridges to just to see...

Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  7. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

It may be no deader, but probably somewhat less intact. :)

PLANofMAN, PLAla and Linuxguile like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think splat is the word......

Linuxguile likes this.
  9. Linuxguile

SOTD January 10th
    [​IMG]

Schick E2 Prototype
    Schick Proline B-20
    JR #134 (Frigate Class 24mm)
    Jeeves Of Hudson Street 'Bay Rum'
    Nivea sensitive PSB

Second shave on the E2 and Proline was really rough. This may be too much blade for this razor or I may have let the angle waiver too much. The Jeeves turned into an amazingly slick super goop with the help of my Jayaruh #134. Lots of hot spots after the shave so I went with some Nivea Sensitive to cool them down. Have a great day my friends!

AGHisBBS, Redfisher and dustmite like this.
  10. dustmite

These turned my Pal into a beast, too. It seems like it actually changed the geometry, as I had to really watch my angle. I only made my first pass with it, and switched over to my Krona for the second and touch ups. I'm going to try one in my Schick-I and see how that works. Hopefully with a milder razor I'll see what the fuss is all about...

Redfisher, Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  11. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I bought some because the Japanese usually make great blades and 20 blades for $10 is a good price. I yet to try them but I will soon.

12. Redfisher

I'm not sure what this has to do with anything??

Linuxguile likes this.
  13. Redfisher

I had to go ahead and do a test shave and try em out. I didn't shave this morning so I had a pretty good scruff going. Loaded one in my trusty C1 and proceeded with my shave. One of my indicators of how well a razor shaves my chin. The whiskers there are fairly course because I sported a goatee for many years. Anyway the shave was very smooth and my face is dolphin smooth including my chin after 2 passes. I am very happy with this blade. I expect that they will work equally well in any of my injector razors. :happy088:

IMG_0057.jpg

AGHisBBS, Linuxguile, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  14. Redfisher

Before I shaved I measured the blade to see if there was any difference but it's the same size width wise as the other blades I have. Can't really see how this could change the geometry of a razor.....

Linuxguile likes this.
  15. dustmite

IMO, the Pal is sort of unforgiving to begin with. These blades seem to feel like they're beveled differently, so it feels like the razor has to be held at a different angle. If I hold the razor at my accustomed angle, it feels super aggressive. Kinda hard to explain, but it just didn't feel right...

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

My point is the regular blades do a fine job. No extra work needed. Why complicate something that is simple and works great?

Linuxguile likes this.
  17. Linuxguile

I have a theory. If you look at the corners of the edged side of the B-20 blade they are rounded rather then being straight and square like other injector blades. I think this allows the blade to get a little more exposure as it sits against the blade stops. In repeating razors there should be no difference because they don't have blade stops like the injectors. Zoom in on my SOTD photo from yesterday and you'll see what I mean.

Keithmax, dustmite, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  18. Redfisher

Didn't think of that. I believe you are right with your theory which is cool because most of my injector razors run on the mild end of the spectrum. I guess I'll have to put one in the PAL and give it a go!

dustmite, Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Terrific theory, Andrew! Great stuff.

dustmite and Linuxguile like this.
  20. dustmite

Just looked at mine, and I think you're right!