First shave. PAA Starling GEM razor.....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Got my shave on with it today. A 3 pass acceptable shave. It was close, but a tad bit of irritation as the blade is not held fully along its width and length. Very light and very good knurling on the handle for a great grip. I will post a few pics explaining the way the blade is held in a bit.....

8DAA9A0D-166D-4950-A5BC-65760E448649.jpeg

PLANofMAN, Hembree, AGHisBBS and 10 others like this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Interested to see your pictures and hear your impressions!

Hembree, Jim99 and Str8on2 like this.
  3. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

Take your time.....but hurry up !

Terry, Herm2502, Jim99 and 3 others like this.
  4. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I understand one of the plates is more "aggressive" than the other. Which one is that? I am interested in your opinion. It is a nice looking razor.

Jim99 and Redfisher like this.
  5. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I can’t wait to hear more about it. If you have multiple plates, I would be quite interested to hear your thoughts.

6. Str8on2

The shave was interesting. Not the smoothest or most comfortable shave I’ve had from a GEM razor. I used the “A” plate as when I put it together, there was quite a bit of blade gap but more importantly I felt as though quality control is a little lacking. I feel as though the blade is not supported properly. So even though I felt no blade chatter, I did get a bit of blade and razor skipping as I was making my shave passes. Eventually it stopped once I got to my third pass, but it was an adventure to say the least... As they say “A picture speaks a thousand words”. I’ll let you gents take a look and let you decide and comment on it.
    These pics are all with the “A” plate, which is the milder of the two plates. I apologize for the crappy pics...

D1254EB8-6DE6-4A50-82A4-8FA5C658350F.jpeg
    5C5BC8C9-EECA-4450-9C1B-AB49EF6DBA1A.jpeg
    A65F6BEF-25ED-487A-B32D-36E807CA54DD.jpeg
    4CE97211-DCE9-44BE-87E5-256DE419ED2A.jpeg
    3364B8DB-A734-4A2C-AA64-AD1891A4DED4.jpeg

“B” plate coming up.....

Keithmax, TestDepth, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  7. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I now understand your issue with it.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

The head is not sitting flush against the bottom plate and not holding the blade properly. It looks like the back of the head is angled off of the back of the bottom plate.

SHAVEWIZARD420 and Str8on2 like this.
  9. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

Maybe it is me but from the pics the plates didn't seem to be seated properly. May not make up the whole gap but still that doesn't look right.

10. Str8on2

And the “B” plate. Tolerances look a little tighter but, there is some serious gap and exposure. It is a little disconcerting but I’ve never said no to a shaving challenge, so it’s up for my next shave.....
    Again, sorry for the bad pics.....

FBF251D6-6B20-4008-84C8-D05788087D64.jpeg

738715F2-764F-418E-B3A0-B71B6954EFB9.jpeg

9C102928-08F8-47B7-9990-0B77458C1A15.jpeg

609146C7-8A6B-4B0B-821F-499A5CE8980F.jpeg

11. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That blue one is seriously wacked. I was wondering if flipping the blade would help. Also wondered if you tightened it enough. Looks like a disappointment. I had one of those in the checkout and decided to continue with No Buy 2018. Now I am glad.

PLAla likes this.
  12. Str8on2

Trust me, I played with it for about 15-20 minutes in trying to get it to seat properly, but no joy. That was as best as I could get it. There is some serious play in the blade alignment once you set the blade in the base plate. Photo below to give you a better idea...

DCE2DC5D-9986-4FF4-A5E1-0E95CBC0F221.jpeg

See the two pegs on either side that fit into the notches on the GEM blade? That’s some serious wiggle room if you ask me. I know that there was a video released on this razor from PAA and they stated it was an economical razor not machined to exacting tolerances. But this is something else. Maybe others got razors that are better than mine in terms of tolerances and quality control. Are sure hope they are because if not, they’re some serious issues here...

Jim99, Keithmax and PLAla like this.
  13. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

It appears that the blade isn't seated against the stops. Not really secure. Hmmm. Maybe not so good. I'll check mine when it gets here.

14. dustmite

dustmite Well-Known Member

Wow... Glad I didn't pull the trigger on one.

Herm2502, LuvWetShavin and toc like this.
  15. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

Thanks for the pics and I'm sure lots of people can see the issue here, someone needs to tell Douglas about this issue so he can go back to the drawing board

16. Str8on2

I don’t know if mine is just screwed up or not. Hopefully more users will get theirs and chime in that theirs wasn’t as bad as mine. An anomaly perhaps?
    Here is the “B” Beta plate. And it also has some spacing between the posts on the ends. Nothing tight here either...

F4B65C1F-24C8-4EA5-9A97-D836DFBB58C5.jpeg

B2E0A78F-516F-4192-9294-4D5BE4889142.jpeg

PLAla and Keithmax like this.
  17. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I was thinking that it almost looks like the handle is overtightened causing the cap to rock back slightly.

Based on the photos, though, there are definitely some tolerance issues.

PLAla likes this.
  18. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

First I have seen this razor. The concept is cool. There tolerances really suck eggs.

Is there clearance in the top plate for the 2 locating posts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

19. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Looks like one razor that's going back until their QC is better.

PLAla, LuvWetShavin and twhite like this.
  20. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

It looks as if the apex of the bottom plate needs more of a point or material. This will tilt the forward. Or the blade needs to be shimmed at the spine to push it up .

PLAla likes this.