Starting the Journey Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by B Wade, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Sounds like you are on the right track. Enjoy the journey.

Paul76, Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

No hairs cut?
    The easy areas of your side burn and cheek should be a good start. And hairs should be heard getting cut off (felt more than heard with a medium to heavy grind) a full will sing.
    One of the gurus said one should be surprised how much hair was cut. (I think it was Glen).
    Your biggest goal beginning, 1) recognizing a sharp blade, and 2) not ruining said blade. With these two steps done, its smooth sailing and repetition from there.

3. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Update #2

Cut some hair! Did the full right side of my cheek several times to practice the motion and angle. Switched to my left hand.. and immediately felt like I was incompetent . Finished with the DE again. Progress folks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Nice!
    No foul in keeping the razor in one hand for the entire shave. I make three passes, razor in the right hand the entire time. @gssixgun does the same. Figure it must be okay if HE'S doing it. ;)

Keithmax, Paul76, gssixgun and 2 others like this.
  5. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Interesting. That’s good to know as an option.

Paul76, TestDepth and Spyder like this.
  6. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I too only use my right hand. I seem to do just fine with that. Just keep up the shaves, as often as possible with the straights. You will soon feel comfortable with them. Muscle memory.

Spyder and TestDepth like this.
  7. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Took the 3rd run at it tonight. Did right and left cheek with my right hand, felt pretty decent. I have a feeling that I’m going to end up needing to get this razor rehoned due to not being adequate at stropping yet but I’m going to keep going at it several more times and see how things go. Figure I’ll have a better idea with more attempts. Maybe I’ll be in better shape than I give myself credit for.

8. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Be sure you are doing good skin stretches. I put my wet fingers on my alum bar, which lets me get a good grip on soapy skin to stretch it away from the direction I am cutting. Also try and keep the razor 1-2 spine widths from your face. That was much easier for me to visualize than an angle. Good job so far!

Keithmax, Paul76, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

If the razor 1-2 spine widths from your face, how does it cut? I know, your blades are so sharp, they scare the whiskers away. :happy097:

BTW, I know what you meant. I just couldn't help myself. :signs136:

10. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

I just want to thank all of you that have responded to every question I have had and written out thoughtful and clear advice at every turn. Did both cheeks and chin tonight with the straight with no issues to speak of. Not ready for the neck and upper lip quite yet but I’ll get there. The stropping advice that was given got me back in the right direction with a razor that was ready to go tonight.

Seriously, thank y’all. The community here feels like a family that legitimately cares and takes the time to help others learn at the beginning. Refreshing contrast to a lot of stuff out there these days.

swarden43, TestDepth, Jim99 and 4 others like this.
  11. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    Most of the guys here have great advice and help for those wanting to get into the oldest form of face Shaving.

12. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

We’ve all made the journey to straight razors and we know what a challenge it is. As it’s a bit of a lost art today, online forums are the easiest way to get the information needed to be successful at straight razor shaving. The Shave Den is where I picked up my knowledge and, like all the others here, I’m happy to share what I’ve learned with others. This is a good place to be, so stay with us.
    :)

Keithmax, TestDepth, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

:signs011:

TestDepth and Jim99 like this.
  14. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

B Wade,with your screen name and avatar I have to ask if you are in Virginia and if so what part?

Spyder likes this.
  15. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Fredericksburg area. Inherited my razor collection, which was the origin of me starting this journey, from my late grandfather who lived in Madison county outside of Charlottesville and collected them throughout the 80s and 90s.

Keithmax, Spyder and barbersurgeon like this.
  16. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Ah, grew up in Fredericksburg but that was a while ago. Moved out in ‘91. Living in NNK area now. I know a B. Wade that lives out here, and was just curious. Anyway, Welcome to the forum!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2018
    Keithmax and Spyder like this.
  17. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

:happy108::happy093::bounce015:

Spyder likes this.
  18. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

You are doing good. My progress came in big jumps but I was about in the same place as you after 3 shaves.

Spyder likes this.
  19. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Drew blood for the first time today. Glad I got that out of the way. Other than that went pretty well. Still just doing face and chin and leaving neck for the DE. Think the strop technique is getting a bit better.

20. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

So I have tried to start on my neck during the last 2 shaved and Im just having trouble making progress. I can’t seem to get it at the right angle where it will cut where the hair is really coarse. The blade seems to catch on the coarse hair under my chin and neck. I think it’s probably to early to tell but I’m wondering if my stropping technique wasn’t good enough when I first started out and my blade isn’t sharp enough for the coarse hair on my neck. Alternatively I suppose I could be attacking it the wrong way on my neck. Though I don’t seem to be having much trouble shaving stuff above my jawline which makes me hesitate to blame it on blade sharpness.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018