January 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Any New Year's Resolutions for your shaves?

1. Go Dark Side and learn straights this year.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Purchase your dream razor and live happily ever after.

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Use up some of the excess soaps/creams I've been stockpiling.

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Limit purchases of shaving gear to less than 25% of my gross income.

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. No Buy 2018!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Cookies. Just going to eat cookies.

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  7. I solemnly resolve that I am up to no good.

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Razor: Above The Tie SE1 w/ Timeless (14x85) Barber Pole Handle
    Blade: Feather Professional (6)
    Brush: 30 Day Crew LE with MS 2 Band
    Soap: Jeeves Of Husdon Street Private Study
    A/S: Old Spice Fresh Lime
    Bowl: The Distinctive Goat Bowl

All most 40*F here today. Storm on the way though.

11 12 18.jpg

2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Amazing shot, Doug! one of these days I'll get lucky and land a bottle of OS Lime.

Drygulch, clint64, RyX and 4 others like this.
  3. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Thank you Andrew. :happy088:

Drygulch, clint64, sdguero and 3 others like this.
  4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Excellent picture, Doug!

Drygulch, clint64, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  5. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:thanks: Jim. :happy088:

Drygulch, clint64, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Gotta love winter where we live. We've been in a two week deep freeze along with a lot of you, then a bit warmer through the week to a high of 62 today. That was around noon when we were out for a walk along the icy Missouri River.

Icy Missouri.jpg

Currently 48F and dropping as the next cold front approaches with rain on its leading edge, followed by some sleet and little snow. By morning we should have a nice glaze of ice all over everything which translates to bumper car commuting! Low tonight - 16F. Yep. Welcome to St. Louis.

Speaking of that, I've taken note of the responses to the idea for a meet up. Looks like August is the preferred month of those who have expressed one. I think I'll set up another thread just to discuss the idea and see where it goes. I'll let you know when it's up and running. Reorganizing shave gear today and a few other household chores as well.

7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I would really enjoy a meet-up but most likely wouldn't be able to attend in August. Marching band is in full swing then and school starts in early August as well. Go with the best time that works for the most people if it gets off the ground.

Drygulch, clint64, Screwtape and 5 others like this.
  8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Gentlemen, my family could use your thoughts and prayers. Last week my father in law when into the Dr to investigate a swelling in his jaw, they did a scan of the area and found a tumor. This morning he went in for a full body scan where they found several more tumors. He has a meeting with his PCP scheduled for Tuesday and will be meeting with an Oncologist shortly thereafter. We don't have a lot of information right now, other then that the tumors are there. Thank you for your thoughts and prayers.

9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Will certainly be praying, my friend. Would you mind telling us your father in law's first name?

10. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I’m sorry for this, Andrew. You have my thoughts and prayers for him. Is there a chance the tumors are benign?

11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Very nice photo Neal. :happy096:

Drygulch, clint64, Linuxguile and 4 others like this.
  12. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Sorry to hear about your Father-in-laws trouble. We will pray for him and your family.

13. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

You got it Andrew.

14. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I have heard a few folks say that about the soap, Chris. A tobacco soap that doesn't smell a whole lot like tobacco... nice photo, however!
    Another stunner, Doug. Still love the look of that bowl!

Drygulch, clint64, Screwtape and 5 others like this.
  15. jtspartan

So sorry to hear that, Andrew. Hoping for the best news possible.

16. jtspartan

If you have Tabac, Adam, it is in the same scent range.
    The Vanilla in Gentleman is Vanilla, Paul. Another was to describe Gentleman is 'pure awesomeness'.
    I find the tobacco leaf, the 'woody' base and potentially cognac the most forward components. I wouldn't have even known that citrus was present without this description.

Drygulch, clint64, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
  17. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Sorry to hear this. I'll be praying, Andrew.

18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I didn't realize the view would be so unique until we were over there. I should have taken some gear along even if my wife thinks I'm a bit daffy for it.

19. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Thoughts and best wishes to your family, Andrew.

20. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Pre-shave: Nivea Men Sensitive Face Wash
    Brush: Barburys by Sibel synthetic (Sally's Beauty Supply)
    Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap
    Razor: Magic by Master Barber
    Blade: Derby Professional (3)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree), Nivea Men Sensitive PS Balm, Pinaud Clubman Classic Vanilla AS

Yesterday's shave with the Williams went so well, I wanted to try to repeat it. I keep a puck in a black shave mug from Sally Beauty Supply and I soused it for a few minutes while I washed my face with the Nivea face wash. I essentially did what I did yesterday in that I emptied the souse water from the shave mug into an empty coffee mug. I use the souse water to dip the tips of the shave brush. (I did not pre-soak the brush since it's synthetic.) I used the same brush as yesterday. I loaded the brush, and at this point changed my tactic from yesterday. I had built my lather in a bowl yesterday, continuously loading the brush and transferring the lather to the bowl in order to build on that. However today, at the last minute, I opted to just go to my face right away and start painting. While I had wet my face prior to lathering it wasn't soaking wet. I'm finding that the lather goes on thicker if my face isn't too wet, and since it's thicker it doesn't dissipate right away. At one point the lather felt too dry so I just dipped the tip of the brush into the souse water and hit the lather again. I sectioned off my face again just lathering one section, shaving it, and then moving on to another section. I was able to complete a comfortable and close shave with a single pass on my cheeks and a pass + a clean-up on my neck. I didn't experience any dissipating lather as Williams is famous for, but keeping in mind I was just lathering one section of my face and shaving it.

Oh... and no blood today either! :happy036:

Happy shaves everyone!

IMG_2142.JPG

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.