Vie-Long Horse Hair

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Maximumsmoke, Jan 7, 2018.

1. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

Finally overcome by curiosity, I got my first horse hair brush a few days ago -- Vie-Long Cachurro--:
    • Scent -- Right out of the package it did not smell bad -- actually it smelled a little chemically, like some cleaner had been used on it. After only 4 lather-ups, the scent is a little bit like wet hair -- just what I'd expect. It never smelled anything like a horse. I like horses and have spent some time with them. I don't think horses smell bad. New badger knots smell much worse. I have badger experience and have shot them, so I know what they smell like. New badger knots smell a lot more like badgers than my Vie-Long smells like horses.
    • Shape -- I expected the knot to be more fan shaped. This one is more of a bulb. Not very evenly trimmed. Not a very pretty knot.
    • Loft -- A bit les than advertised -- about 55mm
    • Density -- Low -- I expected more hair.
    • Handle -- Wood with metal top. Nice shape, comfortable to wield, nice heft, but finish looks very fragile -- some finish seems to have worn/washed off the wood after only 4 uses.
    • Backbone -- As advertised here and in other places, horeshair is a different experience. After all, that was why I bought it. Backbone is slight, but it still does a good job lathering hard soaps (DR Harris, and the like). I use soft water. It is a great "paintbrush" for applying lather. Definitely not a lather hog. I use linear back-and-forth motion to whip up the lather on my face, but my technique with this brush really is more the bowl-lather type. I would never call this brush floppy, but it is quite flexible. For instance, I think most synthetics are fairly floppy -- they fling lather all over if you're not careful. Not this horse. If you are the type that has to crush the brush into your face and grind it around in a vigorous circular motion to spread or work up your lather, this brush is not for you.
    • Scritch -- Very little
    • Shedding -- It shed 2 hairs the third time I used it. Otherwise none before or since.
    • My Overall Satisfaction -- The brush is very "useable" -- extremely soft and comfortable, and still does the job, I will use it probably as regularly as my boars and badgers. Yes, it is right in between boar and badger for feel. Another reason I bought it was for its length -- to reach down into my deeper mugs. It's OK for that despite being a couple of millimeters under advertised loft. However, I would love to know what a horsehair knot would be like if it was more dense, larger diameter, and fan-shaped.

Tdmsu, EnglishChannel, RyX and 5 others like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have the same brush. Great to have in the arsenal, but not my “go to”. Actually it got the call for tomorrow’s shave.
    I do agree entirely with your assessment. Lathering technique is totally different from all other brushes. Maybe that’s why they don’t get used as much?

EnglishChannel and Keithmax like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You must have the highet loft one like I pif'd to @Bird Lives. The shorter lofts are very much like boar to me. This is the one I kept for myself. A favorite!#
    [​IMG]

EnglishChannel, RyX, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  4. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

My horses got out of the corral............and I'm o.k. with that.

Keithmax likes this.
  5. jar

jar Well-Known Member

I like horse hair brushes and have a couple Vie-Longs as well as ones from Jayaruh and Zenith.

EnglishChannel and Keithmax like this.
  6. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I have a few brushes....A couple Vintage Stag Badger Brushes that Gary Carrington refurbed and gifted to me that I will always treasure...I have been lucky enough to have been loved by an Omega Boar...

When all has been said and done...The love of my shave life, that I could go into much detail as to all of its virtues....But lets suffice it to say, it does everything great... Is the Cachurro Vie-Long Horse-Hair Fuzzy piffed me,

His tis....Dig it's Glory!
    image.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2018
  7. Maximumsmoke

Maximumsmoke Active Member

Got some nice traditional gear and products in that picture Mr. Bird Lives. I like it.

Keithmax, Spyder and Bird Lives like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sir Bird is a very vintage cat!

Spyder and Bird Lives like this.
  9. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

I like the VieLong brushes. They stand up well with hard soaps.

EnglishChannel likes this.
  10. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I have a Vie Long Cachurro, but it likes to leave hairs on my soap:(. Otherwise I quite like it.

11. Bird Lives

Really?....Wow, I recieved a used cachurro from Fuzzy, but mine hasn't shed ONE HAIR since I've had it!.....I hate a brush that sheds....maybe yours is still in a break-in period?

EnglishChannel and wchnu like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Naw, it’s a couple years old.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That brush has never been a shedder that I remember.
    Try feeding it an apple or a sugar cube or too. It might act better.

Bird Lives and Spyder like this.
  14. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I bought the Cremo-brand horse hair at Target, figuring I'd save myself the trouble of ordering off the 'net. It's not bad, but I've found it needs to be used with softer soaps or primarily creams. I'm hanging on to it for when I get my Old Spice shaving mug in the mail and begin using soaps and creams better suited for it.

EnglishChannel and wchnu like this.
  15. Bird Lives

Great info to know...I have been recommending this brush without reservation....but after the shedding example Keith posted about....I started thinking, maybe I should tell folks, it might need a break-in time...
    Unless I hear different, I have to think, maybe Keith just happened to get a bad example....I mean mine hasn't shed ONE hair, and I use it every day, and I don't baby it either...This is a Work Horse Brush! :kngt: LOL!

16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Okay guys, here’s what I’m talking about. Now, I must say that I soak my brush in really hot water; being careful not to submerge the knot. Maybe this is what it tends to loose a hair or two?

524D8879-803D-439B-B9C8-6D3C2C123F54.jpeg

17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Here’s the brush. You have to admit, it’s a very handsome fella:)

0441CF34-B9DD-4E47-92A5-DA483936F3BA.jpeg

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Any chance of a picture of that one?

How hot is the water? Like hot tap water or kettle hot?

19. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I would say ‘between. I mix kettle water with tap water. Doesn’t seem to affect my boats& badgers....

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That is hotter then I use. I would think it should not bother the horse either. Strange. @Bird Lives ...don't do that.