Are my jacket's sleeves too long?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by venom0706, Jan 12, 2018.

1. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

Hi,

I about online a new jacket recently, which I very much like. It's a stylish biker-type jacket for casual wearing. Here is a picture:

[​IMG]

However, there is a slight issue. Well, it's not an issue, but possibly my OCD speaking. The jacket's sleeves are a bit long. Here's a picture to showcase how far they reach to my hand:
    [​IMG]

I really don't want to bring the jacket to tailors as it will cost me a lot where I live (and the sleeves have zippers which would further complicate things) and I also can't return it to the shop as the return date window has already passed. Getting a size down would maybe shorten the sleeves, but would prevent me from being able to zip it at the tummy area (I have a slight beer belly). I want to keep the jacket like that and wear it as it is.

My question is, can I simply wear the jacket like that and enjoy it without thinking of the long sleeves? Would I look too ridiculous or am I simply getting anxious over nothing?

Thank you and appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 12, 2018
  2. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

If this is made of some kind of machine washable material I'd see if it shrinks just a bit.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

With a casual (non-dress) jacket, I wouldn't worry about sleeve length unless it bothers you or impairs movement. For a formal or dress jacket, alteration should not be dismissed.

Bama Samurai and AGHisBBS like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Two rules of life ...

1) Don't sweat petty things. (little things)
    2) Don't pet sweaty things. (that's just gross)

Enjoy your new coat, it looks great. :)

Paul Turner, RyX and AGHisBBS like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Looks good to me...........

6. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

Yes, the sleeves are much too long. If you are worried about your appearance this looks horrible. If you are not worried about your appearance it still looks bad. That being said, I think it is good you have standards and you want to look good. People are really judging you from the second the see you. Unfortunately this is how most of us are. I know I am one that does. You can be in a Brooks Brothers suit and if you have dirty shoes on you might as well have jeans on. That is just me tho.

7. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

You answered your own question.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    My mother gave me a leather coat years ago and the sleeves were long like that. I just rolled the sleeves up once. It is your jacket, though. Enjoy it your way.

swarden43 likes this.
  9. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

The sleeves are slightly long, but it’s a casual jacket. So I think you can just wear it as is and enjoy it.

Paul Turner likes this.
  10. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Try carrying a couple of heavy weights around for a while and see if your arms stretch :happy102:

11. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

Is it actually possible to have my arms stretched that way? :D

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Absolutely! Shoulder dislocation optional (but recommended, in this case). :eek:

AGHisBBS and Marine68 like this.
  13. LuvWetShavin

LuvWetShavin Well-Known Member

Why ask? Do what YOU want .. if you're ok with the sleeves being a bit long then wear it and be happy. Why care if i think they're too long ?

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Being a motorcycle jacket the sleeves are supposed to be long. Hold your arms out in front of you like you are on a bike. Now how do they feel?

AGHisBBS and Queen of Blades like this.
  15. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

Yep, they are just fine when placed forwards. The thing is that when I am casually wearing it and walking on the street, my arms will be faced down and at rest, thus it will look how it looks on the picture.

AGHisBBS, RyX and Paul Turner like this.
  16. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

#1 worx for those with OCD(like me, but mine doesn't pertain to clothes-it's the dreaded "Did I forget to do what I just did"? issue).

17. RyX

RyX DoH!

To the G.Q. crowd, you may not appear stylish.
    If a motorcycle rider sees you, it will look appropriate.
    I'm guessing if you have it altered, because of the details at the cuff (zippers) it would be easier to take the slack up at the shoulders & armpits.

18. venom0706

venom0706 Guest

Well, I want to appear stylish to the general crowd (I am a young uni student and this jacket while being biker-sty;e is really made to look urban and fashionable and not really made for riding bikes. It's from a brand that is aimed at younger target audiences like myself).

I can't have the sleeves altered because of those exact zippers on them. They would charge me a lot to have them shortened and remove the zippers which are actually embedded on the sleeves (and if can be removed at all).

I guess I will wear it as it is. A size down while maybe would have fixed this, would simply cause me to NOT being able to zip the jacket because of my slight beer tummy. And I prefer having the sleeve issue than not being able to zip the jacket at all.

RyX likes this.
  19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Sounds like you have only two options:
    1. Wear it
    B. Sell it

20. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

This is getting way to metrosexual. Terminate this thread. LOL

DaltonGang and Redfisher like this.