30 DC (and others) Meet Up in Saint Louis - Summer 2018

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 12, 2018.

?

Which month would be best for you to be able to attend?

1. June - Cards game on 2nd, 16th, 30th, early afternoon, two nights - PIrates, Cubs, Braves

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. July - Cards game would be either the 14th or 28th. Afternoon games. Reds or Cubs

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. August - Cards game would be on the 18th if we chose that - night game with Brewers

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Any will work so I'm good with the majority

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  5. June or July

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. July or August

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  7. June or August

2 vote(s)
    15.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Ok, we took the plunge and decided to open this for discussion to see what we can do with us. Some background for those who haven't seen it yet in the 30 Day Thread.

With the start of the 4th year for the monthly 30 Day Rule/Focus group, otherwise known as the 30 Day Crew, or 30DC, several of the regulars expressed interest in trying to get together for a meet up. This is an idea I had originally thought of back in 2016 but just sat on it. Well, I say let's do this thing if we can.

I put the poll on this to determine which month would be best for the majority of people. Several have already indicated in the 30DC which is best, or which doesn't work. Please vote even if you've already stated your preference. For those who are not regulars at the 30DC, if you would like to be a part of this you are more than welcome. We can make it a TSD meet up. The plan is to hold it in Saint Louis, mainly because of its location in the middle of the country, and also because I can act as coordinator and help pull it all together. BBQ has already been made mandatory (Pappy's perhaps - ranked in the top 3 in America) and early ideas include the option of a baseball game on Saturday. That will depend on the month and day we decided on but we can get into that later. We could also offer that as an option for those who choose.

With enough people I'm sure I can get better rates for everyone at a hotel and even a group deal on Cardinals tickets. But, in order to put it all together, we need to decide on the date fairly quickly. It doesn't need to be tomorrow, but I figure in a week we should have that nailed down. Then work on commitments for those planning to attend.

Costs for the hotel, ball game, meals, etc. will be the responsibility of each attendee. Wives, kids, also welcome.

What do we do for the main event? I'd say we try to get a few vendors to set up shop, bring gear to show off, maybe have a seminar or two from some of the experts on here, and basically get to know one another in real life!

Ok. This thread is open. A couple of rules:

1. Respect everyone's opinions.
    2. If you disagree with an idea feel free to say so, but please have a reason.
    3. If you have a suggestion, by all means throw it out here.
    4. Remember, this is a place where we regularly discuss a lot of things and do so without animosity. Let's keep it that way.
    5. I wish we could end up with a date that everyone can attend, but we know that's impossible. Hey, if this one works well who knows...maybe another one at another time to give everyone another chance.

One final note - if we don't want to go to a game, that's a perfectly fine option as well. I've listed the dates the Cards are playing just as an option in planning if that matters.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I voted for August but late July or early August works for me.

I guess it goes without saying but there will be BBQ involved. I’m not a baseball fan but happy to attend with the group.

Drygulch, wristwatchb, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

My vote is for June. I'm pretty much booked after July 4 with band activities and school starts in early August.

Let's keep up the discourse, though! Go with whatever works best for most everyone. And yes, BBQ is a given!

4. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

This is a great idea, Neal. Thanks for getting the conversation started. I think the weather would be nicest in June. BBQ is mandatory! Everything else sounds good. I'm not saying that we tell sea stories in the 30DC, but I will be feeling some faces to see how many of you guys really caught the baby and are dolphin smooth.

Possible enhancements:

Maybe we can get a deal at the Motel 6 if we promise to promote their bath soap for shaving.
    Maybe one morning we could use Arko and a finish with a triple dose of the Veg before leaving for the BB game. I would be fun to see if we could stink out a whole section of the Cards stadium.
    And I'm sorry to throw in something serious....maybe we could all bring a gift, pile them up, and draw names to see who gets what.

And if any of you tells my Bride anything I've said or did... :susel:

Seriously, if we can pull it off, it would be a blast getting to meet (most of) you in person!

5. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I'm open to any of them. Its a 4.5 hour drive from my house. I wouldn't mind seeing if BBQ exists outside of Kansas City. I don't care either way for the ball game, but would like to meet some of the guys.

6. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Possible gift exchange added to the list. And we all must remember to praise each other to the wives for our thriftiness and lack of desire to buy anything shave related.

Keithmax, RyX, Douglas Carey and 3 others like this.
  7. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Any of the above work for me.

8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Oh, just remember that feeling faces is totally at your own risk. Any collateral damage or Harvey Weinstein style lawsuits are your own responsibility.

Drygulch, Screwtape, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  9. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

All good by me; I’ve just gotta work around a wedding on 7/21 an vacation the week before or after.

10. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Any place with a helicopter pad works for me.

11. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

First person who ends up on KMOV at 10pm is the, ummmm, winner.

12. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

That would be better if the entire group ended up there. "Shave group caught with mysterious bag full of Provel Cheese and Pappy's BBQ, carrying straight razors and pain sticks."

13. wristwatchb

Randy, can I hitch a ride on the company plane with you? I assume you serve ice cream in-flight.

Keithmax and NCoxSTL like this.
  14. wristwatchb

Ten men in their underwear spotted this morning in the Motel 6 parking lot photographing safety razors. Details on KMOV News at 10 pm.

RyX, Drygulch, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
  15. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

UPDATE: ”Jim, this story just keeps venturing further into the bizarre. Apparently these men were shaving each other, and rubbing each other’s faces with what appeared to be some type of cosmetic brushes. When police responded to complaints, the men were mostly cooperative, but several got quite belligerent, talking inanely about “some sort of Cartel, and messing with Russian steel?” These men were taken into custody for public lewdness and public drunkenness. Police are wondering if this isn’t some new type of “huffing” gone wrong, because most of the men seemed to be inhaling from little plastic jars, and passing them around to each other. Toxicology on the arrested men, and lab reports on the mysterious tubs are pending.

An unnamed St Louis County Sheriff’s deputy told us, “These guys are all a pretty nice group of fellas, but this is some weird stuff.”

KRAP will keep you updated as the story develops.”

RaZorBurn123, RyX, Drygulch and 9 others like this.
  16. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

The company plane is me flapping my arms. It’s pretty slow and is a purely BYOIC deal.

Drygulch, Screwtape, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I just flew in from Florida and boy are my arms tired....

Would be a lot funnier if it were not possible to happen just like that.

18. wristwatchb

Understood, Randy. Well, just stop by with the truck, and I'll split the gas and driving with 'ya.

1.jpg

19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

It definitely could. A little education before the arrests - it's the St. Louis County Police Force. The Sheriff's office in St. Louis County only deals with the courts. Same in St. Charles County. Sheriff for the courts, County Police to bust heads. Yeah, we do things different around here. Oh, and there are also municipal police in many areas as well. Lots of badges running in circles here.

20. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Is there a City of St Louis Police Dept. also?

Drygulch and NCoxSTL like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.