New to the Forum

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by Michael_W, Jan 12, 2018.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Of those you listed I am familiar with the Vintage Gillettes. Starting with the experimental Toggles, into Fat Boys officially known as Model 195, replaced by The Slim with a longer handle, and finishing as the short 88 & long 108 that are called Black Beauties for the color of the handles. Variations from the basic nickle plated brass, for a price into gold washes and rhodium but mechanically similar in construction. There's a recent thread celebrating what was originally Fat Boy Friday and now renamed to be inclusive of all Adjustable Gillettes.

I've owned and shaved with a number of Fat Boys and found the earlier ones to be my favorite. I'm less enthused with Slims or Black Beauties, the top caps are different and don't shave the same as the 195's. I haven't tried a Toggle, but as I understand the history they were somewhat experimental with the market research culminating in the design & release of the Fat Boys.

Some folks of a certain age may try to acquire a Birth Year Razor (BYR). These Gillette Adjustables span the years between;

Toggle - 1956, '58, & '60
    Fat Boy - 1958 - '61
    Slim - 1961 - '68
    Black Beauty 1968 - '88

Spyder likes this.
  2. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD @Michael_W

I hope you enjoy it here.
    I accidently broke a couple of rules when I was new to this site. No big deal your informed of your infraction and asked to stop. The mods here are good people and just try to help things go smoothly. :)

Spyder likes this.
  3. Zykris

Zykris Well-Known Member

Welcome!

Spyder likes this.
  4. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

AGHisBBS and Spyder like this.
  5. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Welcome to TSD!

Spyder likes this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Welcome from West Michigan! I second @Keithmax . Grab a few more Straights, and put the de’s on the shelf:)

7. DLP

DLP Well-Known Member

:signs046: Welcome to TSD

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Sorry I am so late to the show here. Welcome from Baton Rouge#

You will not have trouble with that here.

I know where that came from... Skip it..trust me.

Vintage rules. And just to throw it put there Schick makes a great adjustable too!

AGHisBBS likes this.
  9. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Cool beans. It's a shame about the way they do things over there, because I was banned before I could check my forum inbox to write down the mailing addresses of the gentlemen to whom I was supposed to send my extra brushes, bowl, and stands. And since I can't view my messages there, I can't let them know what's happened. If someone who has an account there could please let them know, their user names are Al Bundy and Nosdoh. All I need is their mailing addresses so I can send them their gear. Thanks.

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If you mean the varmint forum I have been banned from there for years!

11. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Welcome from MN. ☕️

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  12. Michael_W

Not sure if mentioning the name is allowed here, but it begins with Badger and ends in Blade.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup varmit forum...lotta folks here banned from there. Woo!!!

14. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Welcome from Western Canada

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  15. Michael_W

Thought so. Well, if anyone who still has an active account there could please get a hold of Al Bundy and Nosdoh and tell them the situation, that would be most appreciated. I guess I should have taken down their mailing info earlier, but I didn't think I'd be banned simply for posting a link to eBay about a vintage Williams puck, in a thread dedicated to Williams soap enthusiasts.

16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Getting banned from B&B is a badge of honor. Glad you're here.

17. Michael_W

The weird thing about it is that I wasn't arguing with the moderators or trying to break any rules, which I never disagreed with. I do wish they'd have been explained more clearly so that I could have taken better steps not to get into trouble. How long do bans last over there?

18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

No idea. Never been a member myself. However, I am grateful for B&B, they send us a lot of good members through their management style.

Marc Bagwell likes this.
  19. Michael_W

Well, their loss is our gain then, ha ha!

Marc Bagwell and Bama Samurai like this.
  20. Marc Bagwell

Marc Bagwell Well-Known Member