Vie-Long Horse Hair

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Maximumsmoke, Jan 7, 2018.

1. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have several horse brushes, the Cachurro among them. I am a fan of it because of its look, style, and little else. It isn’t even bad hair, there just isn’t enough of it, and it has too much loft to suit my tastes. My biggest complaint with Vie Long brushes, is that from one to the next, there isn’t a lot of consistency in the hair. You can buy two of the exact same brush, and one will feel like best badger, and the other feels like bad pure. I have probably had ten of them to end up with (as of now) three keepers. All three of them are lower lofted whites. The other two pictured are still in limbo as to whether or not they stay. The Cachurro handle stays for sure, but it might end up with a boar knot in it.

[​IMG]

EnglishChannel likes this.
  2. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Do you have shedding issues with any of them? I have had 3 and no problems.

3. PickledNorthern

Never a one. They seem to be very well glued together.

4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That has been my thoughts too. We will have to report @Spyder to PETA for horse abuse looks like....sorry 'bout that.

Spyder likes this.
  5. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Here ya go. I use warm water so as not to melt the glue or strip too much of my skin's natural oils.

Attached Files:

6. Michael_W

One thing I should point out after watching a video tutorial by the CEO of Executive Shaving in Scotland: NEVER use hot water to prep your brush, especially if the bristles are glued rather than hand-knotted. Hot water will melt the glue holding the bristles in and cause them to expand, and damage your skin by stripping out too much of the natural oils. Instead, use warm water. That should help reduce or even eliminate hairs coming out of your brush regardless of the bristle type.

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very nice looking brush actually. I use regular hot tap water. Works good!

178-bplatoon and EnglishChannel like this.
  8. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I've been using reg. Hot tap water aswell, I never get so much as a neigh or a whinny from my horse and never a shedded hair!
    I know EVERY SINGLE Turkish Barber in the whole country of Turkey, uses horse hair brushes and they wouldn't consider anything else....And they are famous the World over for their shaving prowess....

Typical Turkish Barber Horse Brush:
    image.jpeg

A vie-long is like an Aston-Martin compared to these "'60's Renaults"....(sorry Renault, I'm actually a fan!)

178-bplatoon and EnglishChannel like this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Actually it's. Jaguar.....just saying.

10. Michael_W

WOW! I tried looking to see where I can find that beauty for sale, but it's sold out on Amazon.

11. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

I want to thank all of you for sharing your experiences with Horse Hair shaving brushes.

I have often thought that I should add one to my meager collection, and recently have been seriously considering which one to acquire.

I have looked at the Cremo Vie Long brush at Target, but have not purchased it yet.

Fact is, I have never spent over $20 on a shave brush. And I have some very nice ones.

I think I will probably end up with one eventually, but this discussion has really helped me to weigh the benefits against the weaknesses.
    Thanks!

178-bplatoon likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

Gifts and Care has the biggest selection of Vie Long and Epsilon horse brushes anywhere. They are super great to work with, and ship from Spain for just a few bucks. Make sure you look at the tax free pricing as we wouldn’t pay VAT in the US. That place is what really got me rolling on collecting horse brushes.

13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It's kinda what we do you know. But if you wait all the good ones might be gone....just saying.

Added that to my look at it list. Thanks!!

EnglishChannel and Bird Lives like this.
  14. Bird Lives

15. Bird Lives

:happy102:

16. Bird Lives

I got a huge floppy Jaguar horse, while in Turkey....They re not finished very well...and there is glue hardened all around the handle top, and shellac chipping off the handle, etc...And the hair smelled so bad after first soak, my in-laws asked me to leave it on the balcony to dry....Next morning, no one could go out on the balcony to smoke :shocked003:

So, in a show of good will, I tossed it....and everyone was very happy about that....BUT, once 'broken-in', every Barber in Turkey uses those with GREAT results....But some of the High Dollar barber's do use the Vie-Longs....the V-Ls are much better put together! This "Cachurro" is a work of Art!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2018
    wchnu likes this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Regarding hot, hot water; I received a scuttle about a month ago. Until that I used hot tap water, which is only about 105f. I probably only increase that temp by 20 degrees with the kettle. I don’t use it straight from the kettle, but mic kettle with cold water.
    This brush always lost a hair once in awhile. No worse than my semogue boars.

18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I have a few of those inbound. The 1460 (i think it is) that I have is great.

Spyder likes this.
  19. Michael_W

Spyder likes this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You might have to book a flight to Istanbul.

Spyder likes this.