Ever Ready Ambassador/Streamline/Jewel etc.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, Jan 1, 2018.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I know this subject has been discussed before but I wanted to add something to the discussion, by using vintage advertising. I'd really like to add to this and make a definitive guide (ever hopeful).

The Ever Ready Razor set, produced for Christmas 1939, as shown in the advertisement 'How to make a Tommy feel like a General', makes no mention of the razor's name. As you can see, it comes in a chromium plated metal case, as part of a range of razor sets, that are priced from 2'6. (two shillings and six pence)

image.jpeg

The other set, referred to in the advertisement, to extend the life of the Corrux razor blades, is the Ever Ready Strop Outfit selling at 10'6. This is the same razor, but this time in a Bakelite case, with the addition of a strop and stropping tool.
    Here's a shot of my old one:

image.jpeg

So, those two sets, at least, go back to 1939. I'd be very interested to see any advertising from before that date. If there isn't any then this is possibly the first time this type of razor was bought to market.

I've not seen advertising, for this razor, during the 1940's. My thoughts are that perhaps the production run in 1939, was the only one until after World War II. I imagine that during the war years, the Ever Ready production plant in London was turned over to the war effort or possibly, it was bombed. The razor was re-issued, in the early 1950's, with a heavier handle and a different head design. I've only seen advertising for 1950; 1951 and 1953. Here are a couple of advertisements, for the Ever Ready Streamline set, along with a picture showing the difference between the 1930's razor, on the left and the 1950's redesign. This was posted by @spidey9 in another thread, on this forum.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

The Streamline is how most people refer to this razor but it seems Ever Ready, like Gillette used the same razor, in different cases and called it by another name. Which means that my razor is called the Ever Ready Ambassador.

image.jpeg

There is mention of a Gem Jewel razor; it seems it was the same razor, made in England by Ever Ready but made for Gem and the US/Canadian market. I have read that it was the razor in the chromium metal case, as discussed earlier. I've seen no advertising to prove this. Actually, I've not seen any advertising mentioning the Gem Jewel, at all. Perhaps you guys over the pond can trace some, but I have seen one picture of a Streamline in an ivorite case, exactly the same as the Ever Ready Streamline case, in the adverts above, get but with Gem painted in Gold on the case lid. My thoughts are thus: the Streamline comes in a clamshell case. Perhaps, like an oyster, you open the shell to find the Jewel (pearl).

If you guys have a Gem Jewel, please can you post pictures. I have scoured the net for Gem advertising but have not ever seen this razor advertised by Gem.

Finally here is a picture of the whole set posted in another thread here on TSD by @MPF9 on another thread, on TSD, showing the all the Ever Ready sets. Lucky man!

image.jpeg

Thanks to www.historyworld.co.uk
    Thanks to @spidey9
    Thanks to @MPF9

PLANofMAN, brit, Ron R and 8 others like this.
  2. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

3. TobyC

TobyC Well-Known Member

4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I have the early stropping outfit. It is one fine shaving razor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

5. Safe As

Safe As Active Member

I have just purchased an Ever Ready Jewel set that looks like the first add. It is not here yet but here is a pic taken from ebay showing the paperwork that comes with it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
    Enrico, twhite, Jim99 and 2 others like this.
  6. MPF9

MPF9 Well-Known Member

Fantastic that backs up what I thought, the one that comes in the metal box is marketed as the " Jewel ". I have on in VGC sold the other one on.

dangermouse, twhite and Safe As like this.
  7. Safe As

Safe As Active Member

Indeed the paperwork makes it pretty clear. I have seen one in the white clam shell stropping set with Gem instead of Ever ready , that would have to be a Streamline even if it is a Gem.

dangermouse and Jim99 like this.
  8. dangermouse

OMG! That's amazing. :) It is in stunning condition! I have never seen a 'Jewel' before! It's interesting that it's an English made Ever Ready Jewel which must have originally been sold to the UK market, because the price is 5 shillings. I had previously thought all Jewels, were Gems, not least because of the association between the names. I wonder if it is the 1950's razor, as the price is higher than the 2'6 quoted in the 1939 advert. Perhaps it was only called the Jewel in the 1950's.

Thank you for posting this. This is exactly what I was hoping to see. Amazing. It looks brand new.

twhite, Jim99 and Safe As like this.
  9. dangermouse

When it comes, can we get a better picture of the instruction sheet please? I'd like to read what it says :)

twhite, MPF9 and Safe As like this.
  10. Safe As

Safe As Active Member

On its way now so when it comes I'll post some pics of the sheet. It is in it's original shipper box and as you see the razor is still wrapped, NOS I believe, will have to check when it arrives

MPF9, dangermouse and Jim99 like this.
  11. Safe As

Safe As Active Member

Well it took a while but arrived the other day so here are a couple of pics of the sheet @dangermouse
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. dangermouse

Fantastic mate. Thank you. I'm glad I posted this thread, it has proved, to me, not only that the Jewel did exist but also that it came in the metal case. Wonderful. Now all I need are the instructions for an Ambassador set.

Safe As likes this.
  13. Safe As

Safe As Active Member

No worries. I just picked up an Ambassador set the other day but no instructions I'm afraid. Couldn't get that lucky

dangermouse likes this.
  14. dangermouse

Shame!

Safe As likes this.
  15. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

Happy to add what I've managed to bag in the market here:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

dangermouse, Ron R, jgreenepa and 2 others like this.
  16. brit

brit in a box

very cool..

Nicked likes this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Mine is the brown Bakelite stropper version. Razor pristine, strop unused but unfortunately no papers and case has some cracks.[​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Ron R, brit and PLANofMAN like this.
  18. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

6E7E335F-11D2-4628-9E76-E871B5BF46CD.jpeg
    I have the same set as @Nicked minus the papers. Great shaver!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

dangermouse, brit and Ron R like this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Very nice looking razors, it's nice to have a 1st & 2nd generation streamline razors.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
    brit and jgreenepa like this.
  20. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Hey, Ron, can you tell from my image whether my set is first or second generation? I’m not really a collector. Bought it because of it’s great shaving rep.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff