Best way to lather?

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Marine68, Jan 5, 2018.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Wash the bowl? It was just full of soap! Rinse and dry.

I know, I know. One of the things you face latherers mention is the time you save not having to deal with the bowl. My goodness! 45 seconds is an ETERNITY, isn't it? Man, the things that can get done saving 45 seconds! My gosh! You can... you can... uh... you can... hmmm... what can you get done saving 45 seconds? ;)

Yes, just messing :p

2. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Hahaha, yeah, it a not a big deal. In the grand scheme of things:happy102:

Just to clarify, I don't mind it. I like to use a bowl :scared003:

RyX likes this.
  3. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Your face, your shave.

If face lathering works for you, why change it?

I've "face lathered" for 35 years ... nothing wrong with it, in my opinion.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

4. riffin

riffin Active Member

IMHO, I get a better lather using a bowl, but face lathering is quicker. I find face lathering work just fine and bowl lather when I have the time.

5. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

Been bowl lathering for 2 days now I got the technique down and get a great lather. It just takes toooo long. I realized there is just no reason to bowl lather. Now I know the reason for bowl lathering it makes sense why it was done to begin with. Nonetheless I recommend either face or bowl they are both enjoyable so do what suits you and enjoy the shave.

6. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

I started bowl lathering with solid soaps, but I noticed i quite like the extended facial massage while face lathering so now it mainly face lathering with soap and cream.

The first go I use rather thick foam, second pass i use a bit more water.
    But oil also shaves well,..

Marine68 likes this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Exactly. Lather is lather. Only two types, adequate and inadequate. Method is a personal choice, ratio is all that matters.

Marine68 likes this.
  8. Preacher

Preacher Well-Known Member

No matter the soap, I always bowl lather. It just works better for me.

Marine68 likes this.
  9. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

I face lather I always find it easy to adjust more water or less water or more soap pretty easy to adjust.

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I can do both and do, although as I have recently posted, I am bowl lathering exclusively lately. I am also enjoying "dabbing" the lather on. I'll continue to do this until I want to do something else. Variety is the spice of life...so they say. :)
    To the OP: Go for it. It's not rocket science.

LevelupShaves and Marine68 like this.
  11. Primotenore

Article Team
    I am of the opinion that if you are in a hurry to shave, then this hobby may not be for you. If I don't have the time for an enjoyable shave, then I don't shave that day.

12. swarden43

Amen!

Marine68 likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

As an experiment I grabbed a bowl, loaded my brush with soap from the puck then whipped up a nice lather. Not leaving well enough alone; I wanted to see how little soap I could use out of the puck and have enough lather for three passes (remember I'm cheap). Figuring, just loading the brush means I really have no idea how much soap I'm using; variables such as pressure, number of swirls and moisture, would change amount loaded each time. So I measured with a non-varying measuring device (my finger) scoops of soap (placing them in the bowl) from smallest to where I was able to have enough for three passes. Yes BTW I have too much time on my hands. :D

So now I know just how much to place in my lathering bowl to make three passes worth of lather without having too much or too little. As always YAMV (Your Amount May Vary). :happy093:

Marine68 likes this.
  14. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Or you could just join the Barbasol crew; my son just joined them.

Marine68 and Primotenore like this.
  15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

A shave with real lather does not take that much longer then the goo. Just saying. I have done great Williams shaves in 9 min or so. Wasn't in a rush either.

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

My son was having trouble making a decent lather, so rather than him quit wet shaving all together, I had him try Barbasol and he really likes it.

He's shaving with 1959 Gillette Fat Boy, a can of Barbasol and menthol AS ... I'm not complaining. :D

Last edited: Jan 15, 2018
    Marine68 and dustmite like this.
  17. Primotenore

Article Team
    Whether you face or bowl lather or use Barbasol for that matter (no judgement here), shaving should be enjoyable. If it's a chore, you are in the wrong place. My signature says it all: I now enjoy shaving, something that didn't bring me pleasure for over 46 years. Shave on friends!

Marine68 likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

But, if a man comes here to save money and/or learn the bare rote fundamentals for success, he needs to be shown that path in earnest. For me, the enjoyment begins and ends with open blade control. It's a feeling of accomplishment and focus I get only while shaving. In my world, the ability to do that in a very quick fashion is also a great feeling. Wet Shaving can be enjoyed many different ways. Honestly, I've failed to respect that enough in the past, and will forever try to make room for another way for someone to get what they seek here.

Marine68, Primotenore and Enrico like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Ahhhh I am more like Churchill. Never surrender. Not knocking the young man but he put the training wheels back on. Send him around here...we'll teach him to make lather.

That being said maybe that is just not an enjoyable part of his shave. Young ones these days do tend to be on the quick and easy side I have noted.

Marine68 and Enrico like this.
  20. swarden43

So the likes of Barbesol and Edge are fake lather? ;):p