Secrets for Williams?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, May 11, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That's what I need to work on(although I'm slowly coming around)-Load Power.

PLAla likes this.
  2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

The best lathers I've had have been with a soaked Williams and a dry brush. Load and load and load. A creamy consistency will eventually develop. Add in only a drop or two of water at a time if needed. It takes some trial and error.

Robyflexx and Paul Turner like this.
  3. Paul Turner

y'know, there was Citronella in the original Rise aftershaves, too.

4. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Loves me some citronella. That's why one of my favorite soaps is the Sheep!

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Paul Turner, Robyflexx and PLAla like this.
  5. Paul Turner

Nice sentiment.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Hmm. I've never heard of anyone applying the aftershave before a shave...though, in William's case, I would make an exception. ;)

BamaT, PLAla and PickledNorthern like this.
  7. Paul Turner

I don't have any Beforeshaves, just after :)

BamaT and PLANofMAN like this.
  8. Paul Turner

I had a little trouble with it this morning, as it didn't protect the right side of my upper chin well. Rise to the rescue(without water)

PLAla likes this.
  9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

You need a new soap. Just sayin.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PLAla, Robyflexx and Paul Turner like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Y'know, when I get it onto my face, it sometimes looks and feels like the Rise "tube shave creams, in that you can't see it. That's why I hope and trust that Stirling and others will be much better-being "seen and felt" on the skin. (I still have some of those shave "tubes", which I ordered on Amazon before doing my RiseInternational order-the shave creams and balms).

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    PLAla likes this.
  11. Paul Turner

I think you're right...maybe this week I'll just scoop out the remainder and toss it. The "scooping" looks like a messy challenge(to me, that is).

PLAla likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

I may be matching your "tried" comment soon-it didn't work for me this morning.

PickledNorthern and Erik Redd like this.
  13. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I followed the advice of some, and soaked a puck for several days. I dumped out the water and started loading a damp brush. I loaded until my wrist got tired and face lathered. I got a face full of lather that immediately started it's disappearing act. I then followed the advice of others and dumped it in the trash and grabbed the soap commander and got a wonderful lather without trying.
    IMO the world would be a better place without Williams:)

14. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097:

15. Rockclimber

Rockclimber Well-Known Member

I try and be open minded with every soap but I just can't with Williams. I've tried it so many different ways it's just too much trouble to have to soak or bloom beforehand and then load and lather for 2-3 minutes getting carpal tunnel. The only Williams I like is the Blue Willie version and even it scores fairly low.

Robyflexx, Spyder and PLAla like this.
  16. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I'll keep my two remaining pucks to serve as a humble reminder that I'm really not all that bright:)

swarden43 and Robyflexx like this.
  17. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy102:

Spyder likes this.
  18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I am reviving my own dormant thread. Several denizens have been using Williams lately with great results. There is even a Williams Wednesday faction that is picking up followers! I shaved with Williams today with good results.

Any newer folks on TSD that haven't seen this thread, please post your tips for good Williams lather.

And yes, the detractors may still post their dislike for Williams. Doesn't bother me any and it keeps it light!

19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Williams Wednesday is a thing.

20. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

The secret to lathering Williams is don’t. That’s not a knock on Williams it’s the truth. With a lot of water you get a full bubbly lather that dissipates quickly however if you use a dry brush it will make a paste that will not dissipate and is very slick and protective. Just work it to a thin paste and face lather for a slick protective shiny lather that lasts 3 full passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Linuxguile and PLAla like this.