Starting the Journey Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by B Wade, Dec 29, 2017.

1. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Keep your chin up. Literally; look up to keep the skin taught as well as to reduce the curve in your neck. This also makes it easier to maintain your angle. Try reducing your angle and take short strokes rather than long sweeping strokes.

B Wade, DaltonGang and TestDepth like this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Good advice. I used a DE on my neck for touch up for quite a while. Never gave up trying to get the straight just right. Finally got it. Stick with it @B Wade and you'll get it, too!

Karl G, Spyder and B Wade like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Make sure you are stretching the skin, and using the blade at a shallow angle. Sometimes speeding up the strokes helps. Try shorter, and quicker strokes.

Karl G, Spyder and B Wade like this.
  4. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Good advice from all. Did the whole shave with my J. Allen. Did not pick up the DE tonight once. Was the shave excellent? Heck no. But it was sufficient. Yesterday I was somewhat certain I would never be able to shave my neck with a straight. Tonight with a bit of trial and error and your suggestions here we are. Turns out my blade angle was off just a bit.

5. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Great news! The shaves will continue to, incrementally improve. Before you know it you’ll be str8 shaving without even thinking about it:)

6. barbersurgeon

barbersurgeon Well-Known Member

Mapping the growth direction of the hairs on your neck could be helpful as well. Making sure you’re going with the grain on the first pass can make a world of difference.

Zykris, Karl G and Spyder like this.
  7. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Yep this was something I picked up when learning with the DE. Not surprisingly I had some trouble learning to do my neck with the DE at first as well. Angles are more challenging so you really have to be decently competent to get it done. I think it will be a while before I’m consistently comfortable doing my neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

It was recommended to me to learn stropping with the strop on the edge of a table. I have done that and I think it has been helpful in learning the motion. Most videos show the strop being held and pulled taut from a hanging position. Is that ultimately a better way to do it once I get the motion down or is that just done out of a matter of convenience? For example, are you more likely to mess up an edge if you strop wrong when the strop is on a table as opposed to hanging. I’m not sure if that makes sense but that’s just something I have been pondering.

Karl G and Spyder like this.
  9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I would say most, if not all of us use the hanging strop. Using a flat surface forces you to focus on the motion without worrying about the tension. Kind of like training wheels. Get the motion down, then it will be much easier to work off the strop while it’s hanging.

10. swarden43

yup

Karl G and Spyder like this.
  11. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Random question about lingo. When people talk about 1/4 hollows and near wedges are they essentially talking about the same thing or is there a difference? I know it doesn’t much matter but I have been randomly wondering that.

For example would a Friodur 1/4 Hollow be a near wedge or would that be an inaccurate characterization.

12. swarden43

13. swarden43

[​IMG]
    Shows the "Near Wedge"

Spyder and TestDepth like this.
  14. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Dunno, cuz there is some variability here between manufacturers. But practically speaking, I would doubt your face could tell much difference between 1/4 hollow vs a near wedge.

15. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Yeah that would be my impression I can’t imagine there would really be enough difference. Just curious.

Spyder likes this.
  16. B Wade

B Wade Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Good visual.

Spyder likes this.
  17. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

I actually don’t see a lot of bellied hollows in razors, but I got a surprise when sanding this one...
    Figured I would post to show what that may look like from the blade face.
    FA3B50C0-DC94-4FAB-885F-CB7E0C2EF67F.jpeg
    I did not see this until I started to sand and actually felt it. Pretty cool surprise. :)

Spyder and DaltonGang like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Any front view of the belly??

Spyder likes this.
  19. TestDepth

My phone can’t pick it up.

Spyder likes this.
  20. TestDepth

And I assume you are talking about the razor and not my own!:rofl: