Inconsistency in blades.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marine68, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

I have read several post indicating what sounds like an inconsistency with blades. I have read that people get 3 to 7 shaves per blade or some other variation. Is it really the blade or the beard? I have not experienced this inconsistency. I shave daily I use a variation of razors, soaps and brushes but the one thing I have not varied for months is my blade (Feather).

Keithmax and LOOT like this.
  2. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I believe that it's more an inconsistency in skin type and beard type. Different blades are made with different physical characteristics, which translates to 'different strokes for different folks'.

I'm certain there's some blade inconsistency within manufacturing, simply because honing equipment does wear, and the alloy might not be exactly the same, and the coatings might be slightly different between batches. That's why they talk about 'manufacturing tolerances'.

BigMark83, AGHisBBS, LOOT and 2 others like this.
  3. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Some people do not choose to get the full amount of shaves from a blade. For whatever reason. So some people get a few shaves from a blade and toss it (wasting in my book) and some people use a blade until it starts to not cut.

And before a VI comes through... if you throw something out before it is used up that is wasting....no matter the cost.

Bobcat, LOOT, Zykris and 1 other person like this.
  4. Bookworm

Perhaps, but interestingly enough, people do have different definitions of 'used up'.

brit, LOOT and Marine68 like this.
  5. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

While I've found that there may be slight variations between certain lots of blades, with the occasional dud thrown in, it certainly isn't as prevalent as some may opine.

I've found that technique has MUCH more of a bearing on blade life than manufacturing variation. If I'm diligent about blade angle and ride the cap as @Bama Samurai preaches I can easily get 2-3 weeks of shaves per blade (15+). If I get sloppy and start scraping (and not cutting) I'm rewarded with a blunted blade and a rough, raw face.

Technique trumps tools...

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/3pc-de-aggressive-razor-fundamentals-riding-the-cap.51048/

Last edited: Jan 21, 2018
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Eggggzacally.

brit likes this.
  7. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Maybe, but life is short, I've wasted so much time dreading having to shave. I want to enjoy my remaining shaves, not worrying about dull blades. I use 3or 4, then toss. I prolly use too much toilet paper as well. Better safe than sorry.

brit, Keithmax, Redfisher and 7 others like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

3 or 4 makes sense. But 1 or 2 is just silly.

brit, LevelupShaves, Marine68 and 2 others like this.
  9. Bookworm

I've had a few blades that were tossed at 2 or less.

LOOT and EnglishChannel like this.
  10. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

From what I'm learning, there are a number of factors including skin and whisker type, blade material and manufacture, and blade coating, all of which vary the shaving experience one has with a given brand. Different manufacturers have different standards for quality and may use different materials. For example, the Treet Carbon Steel blades (aka Black Beauties) take a great edge, but how many shaves you get from it depends on your whiskers, lather, lubrication, what razor you use it in (more aggressive razors will wear a blade out faster than milder ones), and so on. The Carbon Steel blades are also more prone to rust, which is why they have that black coating to help prevent it taking hold too early. Conversely, Merkur apparently makes their blades from zinc alloy rather than steel, and that will have different properties that determine how sharp an edge it can take and how long it will hold before replacement is necessary.

So really, that's why a sampler pack is in my opinion a good way to go especially when starting out. Try out various brands and push them as far as you can. Basically, see how many shaves you can get out of them before you begin to feel pulling and tugging. Some have pushed the popular Feather brand blades to 50 or even 100 shaves before replacing them! But, again, that depends on your whisker type, what lubrication and lather you use, and the aggressiveness of your razor. An adjustable might allow for greater experimentation to find the right level that will both provide you with an excellent shave and maximize the life of your blade.

11. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

Amen brother no time for Sh**ty Razors or fingers LOL

12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

Some brands have better consistency than others, in my experience. Feathers are very consistent for me, just like most Personna and Gillette blades. Some other Russians can have quite some variation.

--
    Pitralon forever - Real pens have a nib - If it doesn't tick, it's not a watch.

Yehuda D likes this.
  13. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

The only blade I've had QC issues with are my BICs. Super blade but 5% +/- go in the trash.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

BigMark83 likes this.
  14. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Some people are cheap, they'll run a blade until it's a dud, and then try to hand strop one more shave out of it.
    Some people have a very light beard, I mean light. Like my oldest son, he could use two pennies and get a good shave.

brit likes this.
  15. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Yeah, trying to squeeze out every last shave from a blade and then some, to the degree you describe, puzzle me. If a blade I've opened starts to pull and tug after four or five shaves, I'll toss it and load a new one. If I go thirty shaves with a blade before I notice the pull-and-tug, then fine, no problem—but once that happens it's time to change it out. I don't understand why someone would be so cheap as to try and do that.

16. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

:signs011:

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

:signs011: I am three and out on DE blades.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  18. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I’m with David on this one 4 is pretty much my average. Some blades I’ll push to 5 but that’s about it a blade a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

2 does seem strange unless it’s a blade you just don’t like. I think I tossed a derby at two but it really wasn’t a blade going full thing so much as an I didn’t like it thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wchnu likes this.
  20. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I don't have a set rule. If the blade feels a little rough and the shave maybe wasn't as good as it might have been before I change it. And sometimes I just can't remember when I put the blade in so I might start fresh. I have a fair amount of razors floating in and out of rotation so I try not to be wasteful but don't over think it either.

BigMark83 and wchnu like this.