Gillette Adjustable Friday ; Toggles, Fat Boys, Slims, and Black Beauties welcome!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by RyX, Dec 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You went with the fancy Dorco eh. That old spice decanter is awesomelicious!

sdguero, LOOT and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

In a white plastic tuck I took the top blade. I don't recall doing it, but the first blade out was an ST-300. Under it are ST-301 blades. I think John @John Ruschmeyer has tried the different types and has opinions. I didn't have a bad experience with the 300 and now I'm curious. It's always nice to find acceptable supplies available at local shops. Now I've got to remember where I bought these!

The OS was a pleasant surprise. I'm three deep in back up bottles of Shulton. Realizing bottle No.2 smelled fresher that the current one was a bonus. Finding the vintage lotion has happened faster than I'm using it up. Still looking for Shulton Lime in the wild. I may end up ordering from India.

wchnu, sdguero, LOOT and 2 others like this.
  3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Supposedly, the ST-300 and ST-301 are the same blade; the difference is just packaging and intended market. These are the "normal" Dorco Platinum blades, as opposed the the Dorco Prime Platinum. I think that blades with a "300" number are intended for (probably) the Far East market. (The Dorco Titan is also a -300 blade.)

FWIW, I've seen recent pictures of Dorco blades carrying an "HQ" designation on the packaging. AFAIK, "HQ" stands for "High Quality" and is probably just a marketing term.

wchnu, sdguero, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

That's good news since I got acceptable service from the 300 and can hope for the same from the 301's. Thanks John!

sdguero and LOOT like this.
  5. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

It's not Friday but any day is a good day for driving D1 Toggle![​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

MR41, brit, Timwcic and 5 others like this.
  6. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

That's a beauty.

Herm

sdguero, Dver42, LOOT and 1 other person like this.
  7. Herm2502

My little collection of GA's.

Top-58 Executive
    L-R: 58 Fat Boy rhodium custom, 65 Slim, 70 SA (short), 75 SA (long).[​IMG]

Herm

totjoe, MR41, brit and 7 others like this.
  8. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Very nice. That black rhodium Fatboy is awesome. Are the numbers white or silver?

Herm2502 likes this.
  9. Herm2502

Thanks. The numbers are white. That was a special project by Chris at RazorPlate. He also did the Executive in 24kt.

Herm

Dver42, RyX and LOOT like this.
  10. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

His gold is stunning is person. He did my Toggles. Excellent craftsmanship in all finishes. Can't go wrong with any of them

Herm2502 and RyX like this.
  11. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That explains why it cost so much to get taxes done.....:innocent

LOOT and Herm2502 like this.
  12. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

If you can't figure it out please PIF to me.... LOL

Herm2502 and LOOT like this.
  13. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Alrighty, here's my Fatboy that arrived today from @Stu929 (thanks again for selling this to me; it gave me an arse-kicking shave this evening). On either side of the Gillette are my 1974 Super Speed with black handle, and my Merkur 34c, with the mustache and brow razor complementing the picture. I used the Fatboy on setting #5 for my first and third passes, and setting #6 on my second pass. I got a couple of weepers here and there, which I owe more to having it on the #6 setting—I think #5 is it for me unless I've gone a good week between shaves.

Attached Files:

RyX, Herm2502, Stu929 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Herm2502

Herm

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Just saying...

So tomorrow is Friday again. I will be back with the SA. It will be a fun shave as I recently got a package in from @Bama Samurai. I might need Hi tea before the shave. I wonder if there is such a thing as low tea...that might suit me more.

So who else is in for Gillette Adjustable Friday?

Herm2502, LOOT and RyX like this.
  16. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

From https://www.plymouthtea.co.uk/blogs/news/37927749-the-difference-between-high-tea-low-tea:

High Tea

Contrary to popular belief and the aristocratic sounding name, High Tea did not originate amongst upper classes. In fact, the opposite is true; High Tea is a predominantly working class meal that was traditionally taken between 5 and 7pm – the time that labourers would arrive home from their physically demanding jobs. It was called High Tea because, in contrast to the cakes and tea at low coffee tables of the upper class Low Tea, High Tea was enjoyed at a high table – the dining table.

The foods enjoyed at High Tea were diametrically opposite to those at Low Tea. Low Tea was intended as a light snack to tide someone over until dinner. High Tea was an energy packed meal designed to sustain those who worked hard all day long. Instead of crustless cucumber sandwiches and petit fours, workers would dig in to meat pies, pickled salmon, cold cuts, bread and butter and jam. Tea, the beverage, was also drunk in copious quantities.

Low Tea

In the mid-1830’s, the Duchess of Bedfordshire was suffering from what we might today call a mid-afternoon slump. With a long gap between mid-morning breakfast and dinner at 8pm, she began to take a light meal in the afternoon, which consisted of tea, sandwiches and cake served at a coffee table in her room. She began to invite her friends to enjoy this meal with her and before long the practice had spread to the rest of the country as a social, afternoon meal.

And so Low Tea was born - the high class and quintessentially British tradition that is also known as Afternoon Tea. It couldn’t sustain a working class labourer, but was enough to tide over the leisure-loving ladies of the upper classes until their evening meal. The tradition is enjoying somewhat of a revival amongst the British public, but is used only as an occasional treat rather than a regular meal.​

stanko, Herm2502, LOOT and 1 other person like this.
  17. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Now I know...thank you!

LOOT and RyX like this.
  18. RyX

RyX DoH!

In my generally every - other - day shaving schedule, I'd be timed right for a Fat Boy Friday. Can't do it this week. I've got a loaner DE in the house that needs my attention. :cool:

LOOT and wchnu like this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Well you know what they say about lonely two sided shaving stuff....

LOOT and RyX like this.
  20. RyX

RyX DoH!

Um... if you don't like that side, flip 'er over?

Guess I'm easily distracted by Shiny Things.

Herm2502 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.