Inconsistency in blades.

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Marine68, Jan 21, 2018.

1. Col C

Col C Well-Known Member

I tossed a Derby at one. Never liked them.

brit and LevelupShaves like this.
  2. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I’m 2 or 3 shaves and done. I’m a 4 pass shaver and I like my blades very sharp. Life is to short for bad shaves, in the end the extra use of blades and heavy loading of soap will not change my lifestyle or retirement. I can’t take it with me. I’m willing to pay an additional quarter to be sure I get a good shave. It makes me happy, and that is priceless.

3. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I only do one 3 pass shave a week the rest are only 2. What are your 4 passes just curious. My 3 passes are WTH XTG left to right and XTG right to left. My 2 pass is weird but it works WTG the XTG out from the middle both ways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a tough beard and without the ATG I do not catch the baby. If I go ATG before I do enough beard reduction then I get irritation. I shave in this order, WTG, XTG, XTG(opposite direction) and then ATG. This produced BBS shaves without irritation for me.

5. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I have hair that grows in every direction, even swirls on the neck. To top it off, my growth is not symmetrical, so my left and right sides have completely different routines. In order to shave ATG everywhere on my face I do what amounts to four +. If I am just after a decent, workday shave I can do two and some quick cleanups, but that is generally not my goal.

I have been doing this for a long time, and I promise, there are no two pass DFS shaves for me. (Not singling you out, your question was cool, just forum warriors in general.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

6. LevelupShaves

Makes sense I get a solid DFS with two passes and a consistent BBS with 3 and no irritation which is key. I know four passes would cause irritation for me but it’s cool you have a system that works for you. As for forum warriors/ YouTube commenters these are my thoughts on that.
    You’re shaving wrong?
    https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sh...ads/You’re-shaving-wrong?.58524/&share_type=t

PickledNorthern likes this.
  7. targa88

targa88 Well-Known Member

Although the original poster was not specific on the type of blades. I have found that SE (specifically GEM) blades last longer. Typically I will get 5+ shaves (face & dome busting) and sometimes as many 7-8. Injector blades rarely up to 5. DEs max out at 3.

8. LevelupShaves

That’s true I can go two weeks on an injector blade.

9. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I would like this a bunch of times if I could. You got it down pat. Thanks.

My hair, my follicles, my skin, my water........

As is said here so often, “It’s your shave, enjoy it your way. “

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LevelupShaves likes this.
  10. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I toss a blade as soon as it begins to tug. This means for me 1-3 shaves depending on blade brand. Most of the time, the third shave is already really uncomfortable. Sometimes during the summer, when my whiskers are softer, I get more shaves.

brit likes this.
  11. TADIII

TADIII Active Member

This! I have been DE shaving since 1966 (mostly a 1966 Slim and British Wilkinson Swords), all over the US and on four continents. For me, the softer the water the longer the blade lasts. I have shaved in places with hard water or high mineral content, and the blades won't usually last past two or three shaves. In soft water, though, I have consistently managed fourteen or more shaves on a blade. Just one more variable to keep in mind.

Tom

brit likes this.
  12. Eeyore

Eeyore Well-Known Member

For the first time in years I had a really bad Personna Platinum Chrome blade. Completely dull on one side, very rough on the other side. Normally they are among the most consistent blades that I use.

Michael_W and brit like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

usually 3-4 shaves per blade..the moment it feels tuggy i change it out..when i used carts i would use them for ages..no point in repeating that..some blades i have used for 6-7 , in techs for example, but its more about quality these days not quantity..20+ years of blades to use..

Michael_W likes this.
  14. bigwaverazor

bigwaverazor Well-Known Member

I try to extend a blade for a about 4-5 shaves depending on the blade. My Ladas don't like more than 2-3, though. I have favorite blades from my (top 6) brands to last me nearly 80 years, which I'm now 52. LoL, sounds like I'm predicting my death age of 132 (he, he). That won't be happening but my extra blades will be in my inheritance to my, now, 18 year old son. I'm probably sitting on 7,000 or more blades.
    On the other hand, my brother generally only shaves 1x on a blade, no matter the blades ability to be extended in use. He usually only has a stock of a few hundred. Maybe someday he'll need some of mine.

PM me, guys, if we have a DE razor blade apocalypse. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    Michael_W and Frijolero like this.