Secrets for Williams?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PLAla, May 11, 2016.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Agreed! I use Williams successfully by covering the puck with water while I shower, using a good synthetic brush that I run water over and squeeze out fairly well, then I barely touch the loaded brush in water and face lather. While the lather is a little thinner than some other soaps or creams, it isn’t runny and gives me a good shave.

Linuxguile, PLAla and LevelupShaves like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The best way to get a great lather from Williams is leave it in the box and purchase some great soap from Stirling. I have better things to do than to waste anytime of my life on poor preforming soap that needs to be drowned and beaten like a dead horse. :sick013:

:signs081: Did I say that out loud ................... sorry.:ashamed001:

3. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

When I first started shaving back in the early 60's I used Williams exclusively, I didn't see any problem getting a nice lather with little effort at the time. Wet the puck, wet the brush and swirled my brush on puck till I got plenty of soap and face lathered. The lather lasted and did not dry out.
    The last year or two I've been trying Williams with the same method that I did then, whipped up a great lather but it dries out on me. It seems to me that something has changed in the way they make the soap. Reads like the same formula but could it be that the amount of each ingredient has changed or the process is different or maybe their equipment is different?? Whatever the case may be, something has made Williams different than years ago. I once loved Williams

Linuxguile and PLAla like this.
  4. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

While I have not used Williams for some time now, I had a similar approach to lathering Williams and used it almost exclusively for 35-40 years. Sadly, this soap is much maligned.

Ijustmissedthe50s, BamaT and PLAla like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

BULLY!! You da Man.

LevelupShaves and PLAla like this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The formula changed a bit several years ago. Tallow is not the top of the ingredient list anymore. It's different to be sure. Still a good cheap american made product for folks that can use it.
    Folks that can't use it should not blame the soap. Just saying.....

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

If you drown it and beat it your doing it wrong. Don't blame the clutch.........

8. Tallships

Thanks for the info wchns, but I prefer Williams the way it once was.

wchnu and PLAla like this.
  9. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I just wet the puck, load my brush well and then bowl lather while adding 2 teaspoons of hot tap water. Within a minute or so I am rewarded with more than enough thick, cushiony, and slick lather for a 3-4 pass shave. Williams works.

Clayton

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Ijustmissedthe50s, PLAla and wchnu like this.
  10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I bet you make great cookies too. BULLY!!!

Ijustmissedthe50s and PLAla like this.
  11. chevyguy

Matter a fact I do when I have the time, lol.
    Clayton

PLAla likes this.
  12. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Lol. Awesome!!

PLAla likes this.
  13. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

I just use something else :happy102:

14. sonnyrsg

sonnyrsg Member

I have always had no problem with Williams. I use it in an Old Spice shave mug. I first add hot water to the mug to “bloom” the soap while I wet my face and load my razor blade and wet my brush. Then I drain out the water from the mug and load my brush for 60 seconds. The lather is then rich and thick which I apply for a 3 pass shave without any need to re-load the brush. Granted that the type of water you have I suppose matters but this process has worked for me with Williams from day one.

15. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Yup, that's about how I lather up Williams too. I'm still on my first puck that I've tried, but so far its lathered up well for me and given fine during and post shave performance. I haven't really gotten into soaps much...I have three brands. I guess I like Williams for its availability, ease of lathering, performance while shaving and it just seems to disappear when rinsed off and, admittedly, its price point. I also like its "old school" history and longevity.

PLAla likes this.
  16. chevyguy

That's how I lather the Williams too except I bowl lather it after I load my brush. Williams is a working man's shaving soap that when hydrated properly makes a ton of thick lather when used with a good Boar brush. I remember when it and Colgate were the only shaving soaps we could get at the drugstore, or supermarket. Old Spice Shaving Soap only showed up on the store shelves around the holiday season. I miss Williams Menthol Shaving Soap.

Clayton

Ijustmissedthe50s and PLAla like this.
  17. Tallships

For the past few days I've been trying Williams again and got a fairly good lather without it drying out. put it in a small shallow shaving bowl, soaked the puck in hot tap water, drained it some and used either a Vie-Long Horsehair 25mm knot or VDH Boar brush, they worked better than my softer haired brushes, I must say my change in technique from when i used the old formula has changed the way I can produce a good lather. I'll keep it out as one of a few soaps that I use.

PLAla likes this.
  18. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

No secrets...no blooming...no cussing or beating. Great lather..modern Williams.....Williams Wednesday !!

EnglishChannel and PLAla like this.
  19. chevyguy

Hey Fuzz, sorry that you spent your sleeping time working on a truck, did you get it running?. Are you working the graveyard shift now?, it looks dark outside your bathroom window. I have the 1305, and the 830 Semogue's and they are both lather monster's when it comes to soaps, especially Williams. Two of my most used brushes. I'll be using my Skinbracer infused Williams later this morning with my Stirling 24mm. Tuxedo. It hasn't met the Williams yet, but it's got a pretty good backbone to it so it should make a great lather.

Clayton

PLAla likes this.
  20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Nope did not get it running. Hopefully in the morning. I am working my regular night shift. Dragging some. I have a couple of tuxedo knots...a maggards and a ApShave. They both do good on the Williams. Looking forward to seeing how it works for you!

PLAla likes this.