Making lather

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Happy janitor, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Happy janitor

Happy janitor Active Member

I'm new to wet shaving, will do my first shave this weekend when i have plenty of time. In the meantime i did two practice runs of making lather. I'm curious as to what consistancy I'm looking for? I have west coast shave soap,ocean,smells great. Both trial runs i got nice thick lather that clinged to my brush reall well. Didnt see any bubbles. I'm surprised at how far just a little soap goes. Mixed it in a coffee cup the first time, second time was a much larger cup almost like a soup bowl with a finger handle. Second run i used a little more water,as i read a review that particular soap likes more water. Upon reading great reviews about stirling soap, i ordered 3 samples, and an after shave. I feel like i need options to compare things with.

9nein9, Primotenore, Spyder and 2 others like this.
  2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

To me this is the Holy Grail of lather consistency. What I call "Super Goop". Basically what your looking for is a nice sheen on the lather.

PastorAndy914, PLAla, 9nein9 and 2 others like this.
  3. Happy janitor

Happy janitor Active Member

Nice info. Thanks

9nein9 and Spyder like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Lather is variable and somewhat personal. Some like very thick lather, but I personally like it slicker with more water. You’ll find your preference after a few shaves. I would recommend that you stay with the same brush/soap combo until you get consistent results before introducing other variables. Don’t overthink it. Lathering soap is one of the easiest parts of traditional shaving:)

PLAla, 9nein9, GatorJoe and 2 others like this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

:signs011:
    I struggled with what to write here yesterday, and didn't do so.
    This here is way better than I could have put down. Right on!!

PLAla, 9nein9 and Spyder like this.
  6. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Listen to Spyderman.

7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Between these two posts, you might as well turn out the lights and lock the thread on your way out. Question answered.

PLAla, 9nein9 and Spyder like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Is that what we're calling it now...;)

9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

As long as you are content with the lather you produce then it is the perfect lather.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2018
  10. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

This is akin to asking what vehicle is right for me.... Multiple different answers, and none of them will compare to what YOU think it should be.
    When I use my TOBS creams, I want a lather that looks as if I dipped my face in a Lemon Meringue pie, however when it comes to Williams Soap, a thin almost watery lather is perfect.
    There is no right or wrong answer, and there isnt a constant you can base it on. Its simply what coats the face and provides the best protection. That depends on YOU.

9nein9 and Dansco like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Soap is cheap, so play until your happy.

I personally like it like mayo or yogurt. Don't need a lot to have great shave.

PLAla, Kilgore Trout and 9nein9 like this.
  12. Tallships

Tallships Well-Known Member

Lather is simple, weather you like thick or thin lather, it must contain two factors, it must be slick to glide razor while cutting beard and it must stay hydrating, in order to keep beard wet to let blade cut easier.
    If you feel playful and have the time, you can make those big clouds of lather you see in Ads, don't help the shave but is fun showing off to the wife when she is watching you shave.

9nein9 and PLAla like this.
  13. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

This video shows the method that has worked the best for me. I wish I had seen this when I first started out. But, as others have written in, produce the lather that works best for you! Make practice lathers trying different methods. Scrub them on your hand to imitate face lathering or work it up in a bowl. I practiced lathers A LOT when first starting out. Sounds silly but it worked to make them better.

9nein9 and Happy janitor like this.