Super Speed evolution....a bunch of useless info you probably don't need to know

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MTgrayling, Nov 26, 2008.

1. shaved_*****

shaved_***** New Member

Where did you find out about it being introduced for Christmas 1941?

2. MTgrayling

MTgrayling Rocket Man

In Phillip Krumholz's great book "The complete Gillette Collectors Handbook" on page 243 it reads: "Following on the heels of the Milord was the Ranger Tech One Piece, introduced for the 1941 Christmas Season in solid bar guard. This razor set sold with 5 Blue Blades for 98 cents."

As it happens this is also my Dad's b-day razor set and he got a cased one last Father's Day.

3. shaved_*****

shaved_***** New Member

I believe the Regent Tech came out then too, but I haven't found an ad for it yet.

4. hoglahoo

hoglahoo Yesterday's News

incredible!

*clap clap clap*

5. Trint

Trint New Member

Super. This turned my SS into the Ranger Tech. Valuable knowledge.

6. Oldguy

Oldguy Member

I always consider the Ranger Tech the first Super Speed. And the prettiest.

Len

7. stubblefree

stubblefree New Member

Boy.......you really know a thing or two or more abount Razors.....don't you.First about Rockets and now this....impressive...I mean it.

8. nofa

nofa New Member

Thank you, MTgrayling, for your overview. As a newcomer to the world of DE, it's great to be able to see and learn so much about Super Speeds so easily.

9. ribbs

ribbs New Member

[​IMG]
    Here's my baby.

Thanks for the report. Very informative.

10. Rene

Rene Well-Known Member

WOW......

That's a really nice looking piece :happy096

11. zimmer

zimmer Member

I just bought one. I usually use my Fatboy on 9, use a Merkur slant, SS, single ring, and New Standard. I just got a red tip a few weeks ago and wasn't thrilled. I'd say it's about equal to an adjustable on 6 or 7. For me, it just didn't feel smooth and it's one of the ones I'll be parting with soon.
    That said, most people adore them.

12. very informative. Thanks for putting this together.

13. dougr

dougr Well-Known Member

Thanks Chris and I am sure that this collection took many years in accumulation; I have been looking for a 50' locally without much luck. Regards,Doug::lam

14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I'd never been at all keen on any of the earlier super speeds I'd tried, except the red tip. They were all just blah, somehow. Then I had the fortune to find a Ranger Tech in excellent shape. I tried it only out of curiosity -- expecting to be as unimpressed with it as I've always been with later '40s SS. I was wrong. I've since parted with it but now wish I hadn't.

Two questions for all who may know:

1) Was it my imagination or did the Ranger Tech really give me what felt like a smoother shave (the process if not the result)? It really glided smoothly over my face, though I did nothing different prep-wise than I'd ever done.

2) Since coming across a good shape Ranger is not easy for cheap (at least not for me), shave-wise is there a comparable Super Speed of that era?

Thanks in advance for any input.

15. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

I had one, shaved with it a few times then sold it not too long ago actually. I did not find it to be any better or worse of a shaver than the 48-50 Super Speeds or the 53 that is still for sale in that thread.

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Could have been my imagination, like I said, but since I was not expecting to be impressed by it, it seems something was different about it.

Forgot to mention that last night I tried out a black tip and a mid '50s SS (the one between blue and red tips), and the black tip definitely shaved better. Not as smoothly as I recall the Ranger doing, tho.

17. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Prolly something to do with the blade exposure? The Ranger Tech had a blade gap of .64MM as did the 48-50 SS.

18. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just found an X4 SS I forgot I had...will have to try it out in a few days (used a Fatboy on 9 this morning so I need some recovery time).

19. crackstar

crackstar Israeli Ambassador to TSD

My Super Speed is from the 50's also--what a razor! :D

20. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Nice post. Thanks.

I will eventually own a SS from the early 50's... it is just a matter of time.