Korea VS France - Single Edge Showdown - Disposable Distraction

Discussion in 'Cartridge Razors' started by EnglishChannel, Jan 28, 2018.

1. EnglishChannel

EnglishChannel Well-Known Member

Too long ago, when I was a teen boy, I started shaving with a Schick Adjustable Injector Razor.
    It's been long gone now for 40+ years.

Day after day I see more great pictures of awesome looking vintage Injector and SE razors on the SOTD posts.
    I have really been missing that Schick SE lately. Yet I can hardly remember what it was like to shave with it.

Running errands today, I came across some SE disposables, and for less than the cost of DE blades.
    On a whim, I decided to spend a week shaving with these readily available SE razors and share my experience.

I will start this post with my initial impressions on packaging, design, look and feel.
    Tomorrow will be the first shave. I'll see if this experiment will put me in the market for some vintage SE razors.
    Buckle up!
    Dorco_Bic_SingleBlade_Package_Front.jpg Dorco_Bic_Single_Edge+Package_Back.jpg Dorco_Bic_SE_Razor_SideXSide_Top.jpg Dorco_Bic_SE_Razor_SideXSide_Bottom.jpg Dorco_Bic_SE_Razor_SideXSide_Head.jpg Dorco_Bic_SE_Razor_SideXSide_Head_Bottom.jpg
    We have here 2 contenders:
    ON the LEFT - Dorco Pace SD507 Long Handle Single Blade - COST $.99/12 (8.25 cents per razor)
    ON the RIGHT - Bic 1 Single Blade Disposable - COST $1.34/10 (13.4 cents per razor - clearance price)

OVERVIEW: The Dorco Pace razors are cheaper, have nicer packaging, and longer handles (a plus for me).
    Dorco Pace also has a smaller head, better grips, and feel a bit heavier (both of these razors are very light).
    My initial IMPRESSION is that the Dorco Pace offering is a better design and execution of SE at a lower cost.
    Though look & feel favors the Dorco, I have NOT shaved with either of these, and that is a very important.
    Stay Tuned. ;)

sdguero, Enrico and Keithmax like this.
  2. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I would have the ambulance on speed dial ;).

3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I was in basic training using Bic ... worst of my life. :angry019: That was thirty two years ago and I never went back.

I hope you enjoy them more than I did, I thought they were awful, but remember I was 18 years old.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2018
    Keithmax likes this.
  4. EnglishChannel

Come on guys. It's not that bad. I vaguely remember using one of my wife's razors (an ugly bic like thing) as a young man. Ouch!
    I blamed the poor shave on the idea that she had dulled the blade by using it too many times.
    SINGLE EDGE SHOWDOWN - Disposable DISTRACTION
    1st SHAVE

SOTD_01_29_2018.jpg
    RAZOR(S): Dorco Pace SD507 Long Handle (L-in pic) & Bic 1 Single Blade (R-in pic)
    BLADE: Single Edge Disposables
    PREP: hot water face wash with Ivory soap
    PRE SHAVE: used Erasmic Shave stick on face; face lathered with the boar brush
    SOAP: Erasmic Shave Stick - this is my 8th go around with this soap - used as a PRE SHAVE
    BRUSH: VDH Boar - from the Van Der Hagen Premium Shave Set - 11th use from new
    CREAM: Gillette Venus (with OLAY) Vanilla Cashmere shave gel - applied by hand.
    POST SHAVE: Hot water rinse
    AFTER SHAVE: Aqua Velva Ice Blue
    BALM: Nope
    ============================== T H E P R E P ============================================
    I still haven't gotten the hang of this Erasmic stick soap. It feels more like a wax candle than a shave soap. I soak it in water but really no bloom.
    I rubbed the pre-soaked Erasmic stick on my face, and lathered the thin soap as a pre-shave. The lather always dissipates as soon as I stop scrubbing.
    I then applied the Gillette Venus over the top of it to get wonderful cushion and slickness. What a GREAT vanilla scent!
    ============================== T H E S H A V E ============================================
    Used BOTH razors, the BIC 1 on the LEFT side of my face; the DORCO Pace Single Blade on the RIGHT. I use both hands when I shave (L on L; R on R)
    I wanted to give the BIC an advantage (I am left handed) because I felt the DORCO would perform better - just because.
    SURPRISE! Though I got comparable performance & results from both razors, I actually LIKED the BIC better during the shave.
    I could feel the blade on the BIC and found the perfect angle intuitively. The DORCO had very little blade feel, and seemed to want more pressure.
    I liked the longer handle on the DORCO when I trimmed the back of my neck, but overall the BIC was the winner of this shave.
    ============================== T H E R E S U L T S ============================================
    Got a nice, smooth 2-pass almost BBS shave. Unfortunately by mid-day, I could feel some stubble under the chin - so really DFS.
    ALL in ALL, both razors are very capable of a really nice shave. And I enjoyed the experience.

On second thought, maybe I shouldn't have blamed my wife for that bad experience so many years ago.
    Maybe I just didn't know how to properly use a single edge disposable back then. It seems so easy now. Maybe the equipment is just that much better.
    NAH!

sdguero and Keithmax like this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Ah single edge carts...... Fun.
    If you would like to try a real SE or injector pop me a PM. I have a few to share.

Keithmax likes this.
  6. EnglishChannel

The reason for this exercise is to determine whether I really want to get back into the SE/Injector world again.
    I started my shave life with a Schick Adjustable. I miss that razor, but haven't seen a nice used one for a price that I couldn't resist.
    I have been looking for awhile, but I am not in a hurry. Then there is the injector blade availability & cost.
    Finally, I am considering injector vs GEM style SE razors. The options are many and I haven't made up my mind.
    SO, IN THE MEAN TIME I found these cheap substitutes to scratch the SE itch.
    SOTD 1/30/2018
    RAZOR(S): BIC 1 Single Blade Razor
    BLADE: Single Edge Disposable
    PREP: hot water face wash with Ivory soap followed by Bloom water from Shave cream
    PRE SHAVE: - Tri Coastal Design White Birch & Tobacco Shave Butter
    BRUSH: VDH Boar - from the Van Der Hagen Premium Shave Set
    SHAVE CREAM: The Art of Shaving - Lavender Essential Oil - for Sensitive Skin - face lather
    POST SHAVE: Hot water rinse followed by application of Clubman JUMBO Styptic stick
    AFTER SHAVE: Murray & Lanman Florida Water Cologne
    BALM: Nope
    SOTD_01_30_2018_BIC_1.jpg
    In the last 2 posts, I focused on comparing the DORCO Pace SD507 Long Handle VERSES the BIC 1 Single Blade SE disposable razors.
    Today's shave focused on the BIC 1.
    I used this razor to achieve a true BBS shave, rivaling the shave attainable by my other more preferred shave systems.
    I had to work to get there, but 3+passes was my goal, and I almost achieved it. Not quite full BBS in 3-passes.
    It took multiple touch ups in quite a few areas. And I had to get aggressive with the pressure at times. So much so that I got a few weepers under the chin.
    And some irritation on my cheeks, neck, and especially under the chin. I probably over did the pressure and hurried the shave a bit.
    The healing powers of the Murray & Lanman Florida Water Cologne was a welcome finish to the shave.
    It was fun.

sdguero and Keithmax like this.
  7. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I suspect that most bad shave experiences are a result of poor preparation and/or poor technique. With good preparation and technique, I believe you can get an acceptable shave from most razors.

EnglishChannel and Keithmax like this.
  8. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

good luck ,my experience with dorco's de is usually tugging and irrtation.That fact has keep me from trying the dorco disposables.I usualy keep some bic's around for emergency use.

Keithmax likes this.
  9. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout The Smart Bunny

Young, dumb, and full of vigor.

Now drop and beat your face until I get tired.

;)

Keithmax likes this.
  10. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

Want me to send you one I'm pretty sure you can't? :)

Keithmax likes this.
  11. EnglishChannel

OK, here is my confession. After yesterday's shave, I was inclined to shave with a DE or maybe even a Straight razor today. I miss my other shave tools.
    But come this morning, I resolved to stick with the SINGLE EDGE SHOWDOWN - Disposable DISTRACTION for another day.
    SOTD_01_31_2018.jpg
    This time, I focused on the Dorco Pace SD507 Long Handle. This razor is very mild, and hides the edge of the blade from you. So it is a very safe razor.
    But that presents a problem for me. I struggle to get the geometry that produces an efficient reduction of my beard. The right angle cuts, but I can't feel it.
    So I end up using more pressure and more passes to try to get that magic combination of angle and pressure to achieve the great shave.

Got a nice 3+ pass BBS shave. And Williams Mug Shaving Soap was no small part of that result. No cuts or weepers, but some minor irritation.
    Over 12 hours later, I still feel some minor irritation - tender skin feel - as I write this now.
    We'll see if I have the fortitude to soldier on with this experiment tomorrow.

Good night all!

Keithmax and sdguero like this.
  12. EnglishChannel

SINGLE EDGE SHOWDOWN - Disposable DISTRACTION
    Back to the grind. I took yesterday off - went AWOL on this effort for a nice DE shave. But I had an excuse... new products to try!
    But I'm back today.

SOTD FRIDAY (TGIF!) 2/02/2018
    RAZOR: BIC 1 Single Blade Razor
    BLADE: Single Edge Disposable
    PREP: hot water face wash with Ivory soap
    PRE SHAVE: none
    BRUSH: nope
    CREAM: Gillette Venus (with OLAY) Vanilla Cashmere shave gel - applied by hand.
    POST SHAVE: Hot water rinse
    AFTER SHAVE: Aqua Velva Musk
    BALM: nope
    [​IMG]
    I admit, I DO like this razor - for a bargain-priced disposable. No fuss, no muss. Pure utilitarian design in cheap plastic.
    And it - sort of - mimics the shave geometry of a vintage SE razor. I'll probably get one of those this year. Just hope I can keep it to just one.
    I LOVE the scent of the Venus Vanilla Cashmere! And I needed that after yesterday's malodorous Horse Hair experience.
    Got a quick and painless 1-pass DFS. Less than 5 minutes including prep & cleanup.
    Ready - or - not: here comes the weekend!

Keithmax likes this.