Looking to add a new, aggressive DE to the den

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Allen_B, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

I have been very happy with my Merkur Futur, opened to the max of 6 and has become my go-to shaver. Love the feel and feedback, especially the audible that it provides. I use several Gillettes in the rotation including both Slim and Fatboy adjustables but even maxed at "9" they seem quite mild by comparison.

I am curious if there are some other options that are similar- Like the looks of the Feather AS-D2 Stainless but learned my lesson about buying on looks and for what they are selling for, just not willing to jump in. Would even consider a Rex Ambassador but seems even more insanely expensive for what amounts to a blade holder.

Any suggestions??

/r

Allen

2. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Muhle R41

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MR41 and Bama Samurai like this.
  3. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

Any significant difference in the "twist" or "grande" versions or all the same head?

/r

Allen

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

You've run the DE course. Time for Schick E or G Injectors! The only DE left are Muhle R41 and Fatip/Joris.

All R41 and Fatip the same heads respectively.

RyX, twhite, cliffb599 and 1 other person like this.
  5. cliffb599

cliffb599 Well-Known Member

Well I don’t know about the same.
    I have the R41 and Fatip piccolo and the R41 is more aggressive than the piccolo. But I love them Both. My R41 gets more love than the other. But my Rockwell 6s is a another story as of right now I switch between my Rockwell 6s and my R41.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I concur with Bama. Time to try injectors. I recommend a Schick E2. Or save some time and money. Go to the Dark Side

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

A lot of folks say the Gillette Red Tip is aggressive.

8. Bama Samurai

All Fatip heads are identical. All r41 heads are indentical. Respectively. And you're right about the r41 being marginally more aggressive.

9. Bama Samurai

It's not. When measured by gap and exposure, it's like a 6 on the adjustable.

10. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

If by Dark Side you mean straights, that's what I came from! Using DEs now because they travel better...

Keithmax, RyX and twhite like this.
  11. Bama Samurai

Yeah. It's Dark Side Time.

Keithmax likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Oh, cool. You need a Schick E or G. All DE is pretty mild in reality, especially if you want more aggressive than a FB. Injector time.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  13. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

You could also try single edge razors. I find the Ever Ready 1924 to be an aggressive but smooth shave.

Yes Dark Side is straights.

Norcalnewb likes this.
  14. blashe

blashe Well-Known Member

If you want an aggressive razor that is all SS at affordable price then go with the Rockwell 6S $100 , if you trying to save a bit then go with the Fatip OC $30 all brass and once you align the blade proper its a very smooth shaver but super aggressive

9nein9 and RyX like this.
  15. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

I guess that is why I'm still searching... Enjoy straights but they don't travel very well for me. Also like not having to break out the stones to touch them up albeit infrequently.

I'm still comparing apples to kiwi bouncing between STR8s and DEs I guess. May try and find a cheap injector and even a 2nd hand Muhle 41 twist to round out the shaving den... SWMBO is gonna kill me!

Allen

Keithmax likes this.
  16. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Shoot me. PM if you want to try a Schick E2 and an Ever Ready 1924. I have a spat of each you can try.

Tom

LOOT likes this.
  17. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I will provide some blades also.

LOOT likes this.
  18. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Just a comment from many, many threads on a number of forums. The bottom line is that this whole "aggressive"/"mild" razor is subjective. For example, for me, anything above setting 3 on a Fatboy is too much for me but many folks use the Fatboy on setting 9. :shocked003: We can make recommendations but the user has to has to decide what is best for them.

LOOT and Jorvaljr like this.
  19. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

That is why I guess I've gravitated toward adjustables initially but even with the Slim and Fatboy, wide open at 9 still is milder than I prefer. As mentioned, my favorite is my Merkur Futur, again wide open.

I have to guess it is a product of doing things backwards with starting on straights then moving to DEs. This initially was for travel only but find I use the DEs more than straights through the week...

Allen

20. Bama Samurai

Razor aggressiveness is absolutely quantifiable by measuring the gap, exposure and radial curve. It's not subjective in any way. There is no such thing as too aggressive, only too aggressive for a user's preference. Some guys forgo safety bars altogether....;)