January 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Any New Year's Resolutions for your shaves?

1. Go Dark Side and learn straights this year.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Purchase your dream razor and live happily ever after.

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Use up some of the excess soaps/creams I've been stockpiling.

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Limit purchases of shaving gear to less than 25% of my gross income.

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. No Buy 2018!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Cookies. Just going to eat cookies.

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  7. I solemnly resolve that I am up to no good.

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

FYI, soap reviews have started again in my other thread. Today I decided to change out the Feather for a Derby. I used to hate Derbys, but with proper technique, I now get a pretty smooth, comfortable shave with them. Still not my favorite blade, but far from the “tuggy” experience I had when starting with DEs.

Drygulch, sdguero, jtspartan and 10 others like this.
  2. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thanks Clint! :happy088:

Drygulch, sdguero, LOOT and 4 others like this.
  3. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This ^^^^. Zero pressure is an absolute. Until it isn’t. (#11 on Jared’s list of oxymoronic non answers.).

In my opinion, and the reason the rule exists, is to dance with the girl you brung, and learn her moves. If the razor you are using now shaves you a little better if you use a little pressure, and your face is no worse for wear, then use a little pressure. BUT, treat the next razor like you are starting over and learn that one. This applies to DE’s, injectors, and straights. Each razor takes a little time to learn what you can get away with. Injectors are the gentlest razors I have ever used, but some of them really can eat your face.

Before you add pressure, incorporate skin stretching. That will lift/straighten the whiskers, and help you get closer. And more importantly, listen to your face. It will tell you how you are doing. An alum block is also a super great way to get feedback on your technique.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Last day of January

I was hoping today would finish the Haslinger but it looks like another shave or two to go. The Jerry Stark has a sharp edge and very smooth, it a full hollow 5/8 and very light. I still find these light razors hard to control.

Irritation A+ Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A+

Razor: Jerry Stark 5/8
    Stop: Drygulch black latigo
    Brush: Simpson Tulip 2
    Pre: Nivea
    Soap: Haslinger
    AS: Razorock XXX AS, L’Ocittane ASB
    Scent: Guerlain Habit Rouge

IMG_3552.jpg

5. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

So there could be an evolution of dance, depending on the razor?

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

The Brush! :happy088:
    Sccnts are subjective. I've heard someone say that Special Reserve smells like old men at retirement homes and sadness. I find it robust and manly. Check with the Ladies Beauty Supply shops near you. Many in my little town stock the full line of Pinaud products.

James @LOOT - check you PM's...

It's OK, Randy. I'll share what Dan @sdguero told me about apologizing when molesting The Williams - It's Your Shave, Enjoy! Having lots of barely dented soaps that are giving decadent lathers gives me a warm fuzzy (Not you @wchnu). Knowing I have many future lathers of these soaps I've gathered unto my den portends many happy shaves. Yea, I say unto you! Be joyous that you no longer lather from the Can of Unrighteous Goo! Unless that's your choice. Then enjoy yourself until the can's empty, too. Barbasol be thy name.
    :sick013:

Drygulch, sdguero, jtspartan and 9 others like this.
  7. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Amen, Brother Rick! Amen!

Drygulch, Linuxguile, sdguero and 5 others like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

We have cigars in SE land#!
    [​IMG]

Dang it I hate have to say it....,great answer to the question.

Whatever....stop molesting the Williams.

9. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Not that I frequent ladies Beauty supply shops or anything, but last time I was in one (to buy Barburies after shave balm), I did see some Pinaud after shave regular scent .

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2018
  10. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

This...should be sticky'd. Great post. Really the best I've read. You described my approach pretty well and did it better than I could. I've lived it, but never read it. Thanks.

Great conversation.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Drygulch, clint64, sdguero and 5 others like this.
  11. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

Good grief! I'm behind on this thread. I'm considerably behind. I've spent very little time on TSD since Saturday morning. My Bride's birthday was on Sunday. She and I went out on Saturday to a "Junk Market" at the Civic Center and then we went to a 2nd hand store. I found and bought two vintage shaving brushes at the Civic Center. Later at the 2nd hand store I saw, to my delight, an Old Spice Mug! I'm always looking out for Old Spice mugs in the wild but I can't ever find one. I did on Saturday! My wife was standing next to me when I saw it, and I reached for it as if it would disappear. I took hold of it and brought it close to my chest, clutched in both hands as if it were a newborn baby... "my precious." My wife just smiled and congratulated me on my find. A few minutes later, I found another vintage shaving mug. I was able to figure out from the logo on the bottom that it was a Hazel Atlas Glass company mug. I bought both mugs.

Afterwards, we met our college boys for her early birthday lunch / dinner that afternoon. They drove the 100 miles from their college town to see her and then headed back. They weren't able to come home on her birthday. So, we had a very busy weekend.

On Sunday morning, my Bride decided she was going to shave her legs with a gift I bought her for Christmas. Granted, that was a month ago, but I was pleased she decided to give it a try. I acquired a Lady Gillette TTO J-1 from Andrew's Shave Shop @Linuxguile and gave her that for Christmas. Although she's supportive of my "addiction," I didn't know if she would actually use it. I'm glad she decided to wait until her birthday.

My Bride's Birthday Shave & First DE Shave:
    Aveeno Positively Smooth Shave Gel
    Lady Gillette J-1
    Personna Red blade (1)
    Moonlight Path Body Splash
    Moonlight Path Fragrance Mist
    *Brenda set-up this photo and took the picture.
    IMG_1828rev.JPG

12. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Sounds like a weekend well spent. Happy birthday to your wife .

13. sdguero

She says "thank you very much!"

14. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

That is a great answer . Us newbies need this kind of advice to get us over the hurdle of learning a new way of shaving and understanding the whole concept of blade vs angle vs razors vs every other detail involved in honing our skills . Learning every day on here . Thanks for looking out for us.

15. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Congratulations on your finds. Sounds like your wife had a good day for her birthday celebration. And tell her that's a great shave photo. Shavette Fu would give her full marks for the excellent composition!

16. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Dan, Happy Birthday to your Bride and kudos on her first DE shave. Great SOTD photo!

17. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

A superb post by Guru Jared!

18. sdguero

While I've been playing hooky from TSD for a few days, I did shave yesterday and today so I'll post them here.

In celebration of Menthol Monday....
    SOTD Monday, 1.29.2018 (Menthol Monday)
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: VDH Badger
    Cream: Kiss My Face Cool Mint Moisture Shave
    Razor: Magic by Master Barber
    Blade: Derby (1)
    Post-shave: Dickinson's Original WH, Nivea Men Sensitive Cooling PS Balm, Osage Rub OS

Monday's shave battled 72 hours worth of whiskers... the shavette and new Derby sliced right through it, however it wasn't bloodless. I managed a couple of nicks on my right cheek and had to break out the styptic pencil yet again. I had to use that styptic pencil a lot this month! But I blame on my technique. Most of the time I realize my error... but then it's too late.

As a side note, I just bought this Osage Rub the other day so it was the first time I had used it post-shave. I know many on TSD enjoy a lot of menthol. They even add menthol to their aftershaves. When I splashed the Osage on my face I could certainly feel that menthol feeling. It obviously has a lot of menthol in it. It was fine. I rather liked it. But about 15 minutes later I started to have a burning sensation under my wedding band, and I took it off for awhile because it was getting very uncomfortable. Then a few minutes later I started having a burning sensation between the fingers of both hands, and on my palms. It was weird. My face, head and neck were fine.

I believe the issue with my hands is that during the winter time they tend to dry out and crack. I don't have that problem with my face. I washed my hands and then put lotion on them and the burning sensation went away.
    IMG_2227.JPG

SOTD 1.30.2018
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Cream: Barbasol Original (applied by hand)
    Razor: Magic by Master Barber
    Blade: Derby (2)
    Post-shave: Assured WH (Dollar Tree brand), Nivea Men Sensitive PS Balm, Pinaud Clubman Special Reserve AS / Cologne

Very good shave today... blood-free!

I hope everyone is having a great week! Happy shaves!
    IMG_2234.JPG

19. sdguero

Thanks, Charlie!

20. sdguero

Thanks, John!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.