January 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Any New Year's Resolutions for your shaves?

1. Go Dark Side and learn straights this year.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Purchase your dream razor and live happily ever after.

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Use up some of the excess soaps/creams I've been stockpiling.

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Limit purchases of shaving gear to less than 25% of my gross income.

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. No Buy 2018!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Cookies. Just going to eat cookies.

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  7. I solemnly resolve that I am up to no good.

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

WARNING. Non shaving post ahead...
    My girls have been in public school up to this point (as did I for about 2/3 of my primary education), but as they are getting older, the “testing-centric curriculum” driven by the public schools is not helping my kids. I’m also finding that around 4th grade, the public school system in South Florida eliminates "well rounded activity and/or thought" and replaces it with administrative agenda that uses kids as poker chips for government funding for each school. Seems the folks who care most about the kids are being driven out of the system, and the ones who have the kids best interest at heart have to swim upstream against the system. It's really frustrating to watch. In light of all that, I'm really thrilled to say that we've secured the funding and all the pieces have fallen into place to put my kids in a private Christian school that really focuses on development of the "whole kid" not just the part measured by tests. They'll be starting school there in the fall. We're very excited and very fortunate to have this opportunity for our kids. I know this news is not shave related, but sharing stuff with this group just seems to be more natural (and cheaper) for me than hiring a therapist. Carry on...

2. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Nice filter, Perry!

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 3 others like this.
  3. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

January 31st
    Short-handled Black Beauty w PermaSharp (3)
    WD HM Badger/Cypress
    Jeeves of Hudson St Apothecary SS
    Thayers
    Booster Polar Ice AS
    5742DC43-81D3-42A4-A069-A0C026420FDB.jpeg
    Last shave of January and last shave for the various focuses I’ve tried to follow this month. I’ve regularly cycled through the Jeeves products I have this month- the soap from today plus the Key Lime SS from Adam and a Tobacco Bay Leaf splash. All are excellent, and could easily be brought out again for ‘favourite february’. I also rotated back and forth between my new to me razors- the SA in the photo today which came via the December raffle and a GEM Jr which came via a trade with Andrew. Both gave me great shaves and will be keepers in the rotation. I also used the CJB Shavette which came to me via trade with Keith. I carved myself up a bit with it, but will spend some time with it moving forward. I also cycled through some new soaps that came from Black Friday purchases or trades.
    Today’s shave was another nice one. One small weeper that gave up with the splash and am very smooth.
    Have a great day all!

4. Norcalnewb

Terrific black and white pic, Jason!

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 4 others like this.
  5. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Great gear this morning, Jim! The Palmolive is very underrated, IMHO. Seeing your Grey Flannel has me jealous. I used to wear it 20 years ago, and always liked it. I had the Cologne and Aftershave combo (in the grey flannel bag) but never used the AfterShave. I last saw it in a bathroom cupboard 4 or 5 years ago. When I started wetshaving a couple of years ago, I looked for that Grey Flannel aftershave. Darned if I can find it...I know it is here somewhere.
    As usual, an excellent synopsis to the month, Clint, complete with another great collage photo. Your mention of the camaderie of the group was bang on.
    Cool pic and a great write up, Perry. Any month using the ‘66’ is a great month indeed, and your blade descriptions have been very informative all month.

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 6 others like this.
  6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:happy096: A well rounded education leads to well rounded adults.

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 7 others like this.
  7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

As a public school teacher I can certainly identify with some of these challenges. As a parent you have to do what is best for your kids. Thankfully I work in a system and school that puts kids first. My first thought when evaluating any decision for my program is “how does this benefit the students”. I try to do right for every kid. It’s hard, that’s for sure.

In any event, I appreciate your commitment as a parent to do what you think is best for your kids. I know that seems like the norm but I’ve encountered many parental situations where that is not a focus.

Drygulch, sdguero, Keithmax and 11 others like this.
  8. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Niice feel from the Chiseled Face Ghost Town Barber soap&AS to close out January. A little too much "tingle" and burn from the A.S., but the menthol ingredient calmed that down after about 15 minutes. I think I went a little too overboard with it.

Drygulch, sdguero, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Two of the four years I spent in a private school(4th and 5th grades)were the best 2 years I had in a school until I got to the college from where I'd graduate. (To clarify-I spent one year at my first college, then transferred).

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    Drygulch, sdguero, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  10. Norcalnewb

Thank you, Jason! I did the same thing with Aramis. Luckily, I managed to find that bottle.

Drygulch, sdguero, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  11. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

:thanks: :happy088:

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 5 others like this.
  12. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Excellent photos of excellent gear. Kudos, men.

13. PLAla

Thank you!

14. PLAla

Thank you, Jason!

15. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I'm glad things worked out in your children's favor. We are blessed with resources to continue to have ours kids in private Christian school. Christ/family centered education is a financial hardship we gladly bear. We tried public schools 2 years ago (financial reasons). Big, big mistake. Our family's values conflict with Common Core and the Dept of Ed. We should take this private, should you like. This topic could get ugly, fast. :)

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Sounds like you have a plan that will work best for your children. If the kids attend either public or private schools the parents have to be involved in the process. My kids started in private school but finished in public school. Our goal with both girls was to raise good solid citizens that were well rounded in sports, academics and arts. Your commitment to do what's best for your children is the main thing.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful B&W Photo Jason. You had a great month with the new razors and Jeeves products. Bravo.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jason. Looks like 2018 is off to a great start.

19. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

An amazing photo!, Im glad she decided to give it a go! Did she have any comments about the shave? I have a Champagne Starburst pulled aside waiting for my wife to decide to give it a go.
    Nice photos! Im glad you are geting good shaves from the shavette, Dan!
    Thank you.
    An excellent setup to end the month, Neal!
    Superb photo Clint and another amazing month of shaves in the books. The knots in both of your new Thater brushes look very dense!
    Very nice, Perry!
    Very nice!
    This is a concern that I have for Logan when he enters the school system. I'm glad that you had the ability to make the change for the betterment of your children, Randy!
    I've enjoyed watching your progress with the Gem this month, Jason!

20. PLAla

Thanks, Andrew!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.