January 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2017.

?

Any New Year's Resolutions for your shaves?

1. Go Dark Side and learn straights this year.

6 vote(s)
    15.8%
  2. Purchase your dream razor and live happily ever after.

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  3. Use up some of the excess soaps/creams I've been stockpiling.

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Limit purchases of shaving gear to less than 25% of my gross income.

10 vote(s)
    26.3%
  5. No Buy 2018!

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  6. Cookies. Just going to eat cookies.

13 vote(s)
    34.2%
  7. I solemnly resolve that I am up to no good.

19 vote(s)
    50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Andrew. I am really enjoying both Thater brushes but the boar is something special.

2. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I had intended to have a shave this morning with one of my new soaps that I got myself for Christmas. But Logan decided that he wanted to be awake at 4:00 which is when I'm usually getting up and getting ready for work. For the sake of my wife I "took one for the team" and got him settled back down and back to sleep but didn't have time to shave afterward. So today I'm rocking "the shadow".

3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Happy wife (rested?), happy life! Way to take one for the team!

4. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Your skill and eloquence in the 'non answer section' is noted AND greeted with resounding applause.

The girl? She is a great dancer, I'm not.

The 'nugget' to chase is your closing. I have always stretched the skin a little, but a particular attention to it today has yielded positive results. I'll keep working on it.

Thank you.

Drygulch, sdguero, Keithmax and 6 others like this.
  5. Linuxguile

Thank you Jim, Yes indeed, words to live by!(Happy wife, happy life!)

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 3 others like this.
  6. Linuxguile

This video is a really good example of skin stretching, skip to about to 2:30 mark for the start of the shave:

Drygulch, sdguero, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Thank you Andrew.
    My prayers for your father in law.
    Sorry to hear you and your family have to go through that.
    Bill

Drygulch, sdguero, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  8. Linuxguile

Thank you Bill

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 4 others like this.
  9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

January 31, 2018

Razor: NDC 48-49 Gillette Milord
    Blade: Dorco Prime Platinum
    Brush: VdH Boar
    Cream: KMF fragrance-free

No shave yesterday so this is the second shave with the VdH Boar since its soak in water and glycerin. I have to admit that the soaking did something because, if anything, the shedding was even less today. Also, the brush appears to have (re-) gained some softness. I think I need to look more into the care of a Boar brush, particularly one which is used infrequently.

No issues with the Milord and the Dorco. The only annoyance was the pump on the KMF which decided to squirt cream on my arm rather than the brush. A BBS or near enough and a good end to the month.

Definitely an interesting month with a primary focus on Dorco blades and some surprise insights on brush care.

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 8 others like this.
  10. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Way to take one for the team. You made the smart choice. ;) I try not to wake my wife even for emergencies.

Drygulch, sdguero, Corto and 5 others like this.
  11. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Thank you all. Yes, I have definitely enjoyed these razors this month.

Drygulch, sdguero, 9nein9 and 4 others like this.
  12. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Lots of good photos today, gentlemen! Mine isn't among them...

Wednesday January 31 - Jeeves January

English Aristocrat Jr / Voskhod ( 4 and out)
    Jason's non - 30DC Cypress Badger brush ( Maggards 24mm two-band badger knot)
    Jeeves Turkish Bath soap
    Alum and Jeeves Barbershop splash

Ended the month with a Jeeves soap and splash and used one of the two English Gillettes I have been trying this month. A good comfortable two-pass shave to end the month.

This month I used my four Jeeves soaps and three splashes intensively, doing I believe 26 shaves with the soaps and somewhere around 15 to 20 with the splashes. I used my Simpsons CH2 Synthetic brush for about three weeks straight and thoroughly learned its quirks. I used a variety of DE, SE and injector razors, including two English Gillettes I had never tried before. It was a good month. The only thing I didn't work in was the Shavette -- I will save that for MAYhem.

Drygulch, sdguero, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  13. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I just tried citrus musk with Arko and it’s a great pairing. I’ll try it with Wilkinson next. Thanks for the recommendation.

Drygulch, clint64, sdguero and 4 others like this.
  14. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

If you had to put in a nut shell what is it about shavettes that you enjoy so much?

15. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Kudos to you Perry! My kids have had several years in Public School with fantastic teachers who are committed to them, and put the kids interest at heart and we are thankful for them. In fact my wife has a Masters in Education and was a public school teacher for many years. She now volunteers there to help kids out. I've just seen around 4th Grade in our school board promotes the "test scores" as paramount and even the best teachers admit "there's not much we can do about it".

I agree. I really wasn't trying to make a commentary on the public school system in general, by the way, as there are a lot of great folks working very hard there. In fact, prior to the fourth grade changes to "teach to the test" at the expense of well rounded, enriching education, we've had a pretty good experience there. Watching my thriving, gifted daughter "go into her shell" this year as a result of the changes has been tough to watch, so I'm just excited to find an opportunity in my area to give my kids a more well rounded learning experience than what my School Board is now providing. The fact that they will be encouraged to grow in their faith, in the arts, physical education and other enrichment activities that have been eliminated by our local school board (unless you go to a magnet school) is a big relief and an exciting change and new adventure for our family.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
  16. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

The highly developed touch and skill that goes into the tool's usage, and the feeling of accomplishment at being automatic with a low error tolerance, extremely sharp tool.

17. Bama Samurai

I love that combo.

Drygulch, Linuxguile, clint64 and 7 others like this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Never let learning get in the way of producing thought-controlled wage slaves.

Dept of Education: Frustrating Excellence and lowering standards since the Carter administration.

Carry on.

Drygulch, Linuxguile, clint64 and 9 others like this.
  19. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

If you don’t eat your meat you can’t have any pudding! How can you have any pudding if you don’t eat your meat!

Drygulch, Linuxguile, clint64 and 8 others like this.
  20. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

January Shavette Focus 1.31.2018

(Williams Wednesday)
    Pre-shave: hot shower
    Brush: Barburys synthetic
    Soap: Williams Mug Shaving Soap
    Razor: Magic by Master Barber
    Blade: Derby (1)
    Post-shave: Assured WH, Nivea Men Sensitive PS Balm, Aqua Velva Musk AS / Cologne

This morning I had a pleasant shave with the Williams and the shavette. No nicks, no cuts, no blood today. Yea!

I did a single pass on the cheeks and a single pass and a clean-up pass on the neck. I didn't achieve BBS, but that wasn't the goal. This month's shavette focus helped me to become comfortable with the shavette... I don't consider myself anywhere near an expert at using it. I would consider myself a probationary shavette user who has considerable respect for the tool. After all, if you don't treat it right... it bites back.

As for February, I think I will focus my attention on some of my SE razors. They need some affection.

Happy shaves everyone!
    IMG_2237.JPG

MR41, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.