February 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 31, 2018.

?

What type is your favorite razor?

1. Vintage DE

23 vote(s)
    51.1%
  2. Modern DE

16 vote(s)
    35.6%
  3. Vintage SE

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Modern SE

4 vote(s)
    8.9%
  5. Straight

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
  6. Pain Stick

3 vote(s)
    6.7%
  7. I'd say carts - but I don't want to admit it

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  8. Razor schmazer - pass the cookies!

8 vote(s)
    17.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to February Favorites for 2018!!

In the past we've usually tagged February for Fatboy shaves, but now that we've got Fatboy Friday going it's time to change things up. So what is February Favorites you ask? Simple. Pick out a favorite razor or razors, soap or soaps, brush or brushes.....you get the idea, and use those this month just to enjoy a month of great shaves with some favorite gear. Or, if you're trying to find a favorite, this is the month to do some comparison shaves and figure out which really is your favorite. Of course you are free to totally ignore the theme and find your own theme for the month. And, naturally, Rules and other Focuses are perfectly fine and expected. It's kind of what we do.

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a Valentine cookie and meet the crew.

Rules are the same people.

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.
    2. Old Members always welcome. (Don’t like being considered “old”? Too bad, I know your birthdate.)
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    7. Learn something new and improve your shaves!
    8. HAVE FUN!!!

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to February Favorites!!! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

Drygulch, 9nein9, RyX and 13 others like this.
  2. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’m getting so I look forward to seeing what the poll every month will be:)

Drygulch, 9nein9, FaceScraper and 8 others like this.
  3. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I'll jump in this month, again, and I will continue to focus on using up some older soaps. I will work in some favorites while I am at it. I am looking forward to a great month.

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'll be in again. My focus will be on concentrated use of some soaps to try and use up or at least make a dent. I'll also continue with Personna and Proline injector blades and trying them in various razors. It'll be a good month!

Drygulch, 9nein9, FaceScraper and 6 others like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Count me in. I will continue to focus on using up some soaps during February as well as rotate through some of my favorite razors.

6. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Me too, I’m going to try to finish a soap or two. I have a couple getting low and I need to clear some room.

7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm in for another month. As I said earlier, I'd like to focus on doing 1-pass soap shaves. Someone said in so many words that it'd be quite the challenge. I do have to admit that it's hard for me to get it ALL in the first pass, thus the second saves me from misses. The focus, then, will be to ..."get it all in one".

8. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I'm in for a Fancy February. As I stated in a previous post each month I will use a Modern DE, a Vintage DE, an SE and an Injector. This month I will use my RazoRock Mamba, Schick Type D, #58 Aristocrat, and Gold Ever-Ready 1912.

9. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'm in. I recently received a pack of Japanese Schick Twin Injector blades, so I'll be starting off with J1 loaded with a Twin. I also went a little overboard on AliExpress and have a Yaqi DOC head due to arrive on Friday and the Baili version of the Tech II due later in the month. Finally, I plan to spend some more time with my old VdH Boar and see if the lessening of its shedding keeps up.

10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I'm in. I plan to shave. The rest I will figure out as I go along.

11. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Best post of the day!

12. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I haven't decided on a focus, so I'll sit back here in the heckling section and wait for inspiration. Also, in the interest of losing weight I will not talk about cookies this month. Pretty sure that act alone is melting the pounds off as we speak. I hope so, because I don't have a plan B.

13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I'm in. For favourites, I'll focus on a few of my favourite DEs that haven't gotten enough usage lately- my NEW LC and the humble pre-war fat-handled Tech as well as a favourite injector, the E3, that I've neglected a bit. If my MonoBilt makes it back from the beauty salon in time, that will be added to the mix.
    As for soaps, after a December of focusing on samples, and a January focusing on Jeeves and new soaps, I will focus on my top tier favourite soaps, based on performance, scent or both.
    Looking forward to a great month!

14. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I'm focusing on using shave gear whilst avoiding the purchase of further soaps. That's a full time job.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

15. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

I'll focus on the Timeless Bronze .78 OC baseplate that came in Monday. According to tracking, with any luck, a Wolfman .74 will hit the den on the 8th. I'd like to think I'll focus on it for the last 3 weeks of the month. I will also continue my assault on a collection of Stirling products. I'll read along and try to keep up.

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Fabulous Feb begins!

Kicking off the month with my favorite DE, 2011 Mühle R41. This month I will also kill off my puck of Haslinger and work on finishing off my Tabac and Castle Forbes tub that is low. In addition to being fabulous and trying to empty some soaps containers, I will try use all my brushes and rinse them in vinegar.

Everything felt right from the get-go, I just knew this was going to be an epic shave. Four passes and an epic result.

Irritation A+ Closeness A+

Razor: 2011 R41 (7’Oclock blue 2)
    Brush: silver tip
    Pre: Proraso
    Soap: Tabac
    AS: Speick AS, Edwin Jagger ASB
    Scent: Tabac

IMG_5940.jpg

MR41, wristwatchb, Drygulch and 11 others like this.
  17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Cool. I am planning to primarily use my Wolfman and Timeless OC for the month as well.

18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Beautiful setup, Keith!

19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

This will be an easy one to jump in to. Even for hotel shaves, I have favorites. All month will be a dealer’s choice for every category in every shave.

Drygulch, wchnu, FaceScraper and 11 others like this.
  20. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I've really fell in love with my '48-'49 Super speed, so maybe I'll run a few different blades through it to see if I can dial in a perfect match. Anyway, I guess it will keep me around for the Shenanigans.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.