Which Shavette did you use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bama Samurai, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Parker SRX/Shark SS - 6 February 2018

IMG_1519.JPG

Manumik, Mike-R41, danbuter and 12 others like this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Shavettes are scary to me. Guess I’m just......

C8F05EFE-BAF7-4D79-A3B0-2CCE9C1745E1.gif

3. sdguero

sdguero Well-Known Member

I'll have to pick a day for the shavette now!

4. Bama Samurai

Post it here any time you do!

They are not exactly newbie toys, And you'd be just fine now with one!

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
    Spyder and sdguero like this.
  5. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Great thread!

The Magic Shavette!

Spyder, sdguero and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Is that a request?

Spyder likes this.
  7. Pilotcld

Pilotcld Well-Known Member

I’m excited to see what I’ll be getting for March Madness and will post it here too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdguero, Keithmax and Bama Samurai like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

You have no idea. I've been waiting for someone with your precise background to run this experiment upon. You have like 500+ shaves on a single SR spike blade. That is a special and unique technique level. A spike forces the user to maintain even downward pressure across the bevel, exactly perpendicular to the also precisely applied vector that the stroke is following. Pressure hits the razor heel, and it gives you razor burn and is ineffective. Too much on toe, and you look like you lost a fight to vindictive houaecat. Right?

DE shavette corners act as a double spike (heel and toe).

If anyone can nail it easy...

It's you.

9. Hoss304

Hoss304 Well-Known Member

I tried mine out last night. Disaster to say the least. I have cuts , not nicks. It's just not for me I guess .

Spyder, sdguero, 178-bplatoon and 2 others like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

Nobody with a Gadsden Flag logo quits that easy.

Let's do this right!

...unfamiliar with how to operate one effectively.

(They can't top SR for coolness. Shaves though, first rate. I wouldn't make that up.)

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    MR41, Spyder, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  11. Hoss304

20180207_021603.jpg

12. Hoss304

Maybe after I heal up and get my pride back lol . I might give it another shot

Bama Samurai, Spyder, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  13. Bama Samurai

That's the spirit! If you want to give it a shot, just be patient and make sure your skin stretches are good.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
    Spyder, sdguero and Keithmax like this.
  14. Hoss304

I started just shaving wtg on jaw . I thought I was doing good so I went for a full shave. I guess I was a lil bit full of myself thinking I was going to have a BBS shave on my first shavette adventure . End result was blood and I trashed the shavette . Don't worry though folks ! Im such a shave gear junkie I own another lol.

Bama Samurai, Spyder, sdguero and 2 others like this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Cool, a Jedi master thread. I’m going a trip soon and I’ll take my Parker SR along.

16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Just curious as to the history of Shavettes? How far back do they date? I would like to see some serious collections by members.

17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I am smelling some serious enabling going on here.........

Keithmax, wristwatchb and Pilotcld like this.
  18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

No that’s what I used Obiwan. If you remember, you were a strong influence in my coming to the dark side:)

19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I've used a Feather AC SS shavette before, but I just completed my fourth shave with Parker SRX shavette. The weight, balance, and feel of this razor is perfect for me...and much easier to use than the Feather AC. I'm completing two passes with touch-ups (the same routine I use with my DE's), and the shaves have been great overall.

I've had a few small nicks (nothing that the alum wouldn't address), and I'm starting to see a just bit of irritation on my lower neck. I'm stretching the skin and using very little pressure, but I'm still seeing some red marks. Your comments above made me realize that I may not be holding the blade against my skin properly and causing either the heel or toe of the blade to dig in slightly. That would explain the pattern of red marks I'm seeing. I'll pay more attention beginning tomorrow and see if better blade positioning will solve my problem. If so, this will be a huge breakthrough for me.

Thanks for starting this thread, and I hope it encourages a few more folks to try a shavette. The Parker SRX is a steal at $25 on Amazon.

Keithmax likes this.
  20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

The folks here on TSD are sneaky and rotten to the core. That's why I love it here. :p