Looking to add a new, aggressive DE to the den

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Allen_B, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

Yes, use the Futur wide open and is easily my favorite of all of the DEs I've tried. The others are nice and have their own merits but feel the most comfortable and consistently get the best results from the Futur. I realize this is counter to many others preferences (and lunacy for fans of milder DEs) and conventional wisdom but I have to attribute it to feeling the edge of a straight.

I just received a couple of Schick injector razors as loaners to test out (many thanks to Tom) but have to admit I'm intrigued but the cut-throat "Suicide Futur" idea! Seems it would convert it something of a straight with a "T" handle...

/r

Allen

Tdmsu likes this.
  2. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

The Futur is amazing wide open. The only DE I've used that is more efficient/aggressive is the Vision. Both are smooth and comfortable once the technique is learned.

3. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Changing blade gap doesn't necessarily make a razor more efficient, it does allow for (non optimum) cutting angles which you can't use at smaller blade gaps. In my experience the Futur wide open is no more efficient than it is at lower settings, is certainly not as aggressive as the Ikon Tech (greater exposure), and because of mediocre blade support isn't as adept going ATG (particularly on the head) as many other razors. A shim does help a bit in this regard.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
    Tdmsu likes this.
  4. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

I would offer that increased gap (i.e more aggressive) encourages better technique.

Use a poor angle and technique with a straight and you will tend to have irritation or blood. My search is for a razor that many would consider raw and unrefined that seems to have little room for error. Punish me for poor form with blood and I'm a quick study; I prefer raw, direct and efficient feedback over guards, crutches and excuses. Yes, oversimplified perhaps but I loathe to beat around the bushes...

Allen

twhite and Tdmsu like this.
  5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Fatip

Allen_B likes this.
  6. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

:signs011:

7. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

Forgive the ignorance but assuming you're referring to the modern version??

Several options and curious how it compares objectively to the Merkur R41 in the spirit of objectivity...

Allen

8. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

It only encourages good technique up to a point. Once you have basics down it in fact halts your development because of the range of angles a wide blade gap allows for. If you want to refine technique now go back to a Tech or Star DE with its narrow angle of efficiency. Anybody can get a BBS from a Futur, but when you can get an equal one from a Tech without too much effort it's then you know you've got technique down.

9. blitz

blitz Member

That's the beauty of a davette. All the freedom of a straight/shavette when it comes to blade angle but without the learning curve.

10. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

Link??

11. blitz

blitz Member

A davette is a de with no base plate.

12. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

It's a 'devette', A DE Shavette.

Most commonly a Tech (or similar) with either the guard bars cut off, or the base plate missing completely.

Allen_B likes this.
  13. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

I concede my novice status with DE razors but still see them as a tool to mask technique. Their development was by design intended to compensate for the "Average Joe" and the inability to maintain a proper shaving implement. They also were for those that were unable to feel the blade and give a good shave to the masses without thought or care. Learning angle and technique with a Tech or Star seems to learn the idiosyncrasies of a unique tool holding a sharp blade instead of learning the feel of the sharp edge and realizing actual shaving technique.

Again, not picking a fight but offering a different perspective that has observed that the DE systems were (and are) a bridge between the necessary removal of whiskers and the art of shaving. My search seems to be for a more basic tool instead of a more refined one that maintains the feel and art of shaving while making it replicatable (i.e. no hones) and convenient. I may sound simple and hard-headed but I'm not interested in learning to shave with a particular blade holder. I am looking for a blade holder (i.e. razor) that doesn't mask things with guards and false gaps- I'm the exception to the marketing rule that made Gillette a fortune. I want a sharp implement that doesn't dumb things down and give direct feedback but more useable than the straights I already own. I think that's why I am becoming more interested in injectors and the idea of a "Suicide Futur" after this thread...

Allen

14. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Will be interesting then to see your take on injectors since they are designed to be idiot proof with fixed angles and minimal gap and exposure,, and the post ww2 Schicks are all pretty mild. Try an E2 if an aggressive Injector is what you're looking for.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2018
  15. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

Funny you mention this- The 1st injector tried (this morning in fact) was an "E" and initial impressions were underwhelming. Guess I expected a bit more feedback but chalking it up to ignorance, oddly too much lather and the 1st try. I can say it seemed more efficient and "quicker" compared to most DEs but I seemed to be hunting for the edge but again, was the 1st test ride. Seems the "idiot proof" design is more it shaves or it doesn't with less chance to bite the average user but when I felt the edge, it seemed pretty efficient and comfortable.

Despite the initial take, I can see an injector being a leader in the regular rotation and still salivating over the stainless Supply v2 that's out there. Plan to hold off on purchasing until I have a few more shaves with the E to get a fair opinion...

Allen

Tdmsu likes this.
  16. Bama Samurai

It is very very slightly less aggressive than r41. Fatip the only 3pc razor I kept. I am normally a daily shavette guy. I like the Fatip because it's wide open enough to allow for SR techniques. Don't listen to the noise, it's a fun shave for guys with solid angle technique.

Tdmsu and Allen_B like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Schick E come in many flavors, E1 and 2 can definitely bite. You'll hate the Supply if you like feedback, it has none. Smooth but very mild .

Bama Samurai likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Old Schicks beat everything new in injector world.

jmudrick likes this.
  19. Allen_B

Allen_B Member

Was looking at the v2 with the extra guards to gain the aggressive plate... Same holds true?

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I had v1. Reviews of the v2 were that it was somewhat less mild but not different in character. I vastly prefer my Schicks (A, B, C, E,, F, H, I) and the Pal Injecto-matic.