Dating chart for your GEM/Ever-Ready/Star razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Darkbulb, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I think the first 70 years of the 20th century was the most innovative time in human history! Razor innovation is just one example.

Hmm... Mini series? I'll tune in to that!

Bird Lives and Billyfergie like this.
  2. Komboloi

Komboloi New Member

Hullo. I'm new here. The name is Charles, and I joined upon finding this excellent threat whilst scratching my head about GEM razors.

I do have a question on this thread topic: Regarding the Micromatic OC, I understand it was introduced in 1932. But did it continue in production after introduction of the Clog Pruf? And did the Clog Pruf continue after introduction of the Flying Wing? Or were those serial iterations, each taking over for the other in turn? And last, when did the Micromatic line cease entirely?

Many thanks for any help! Now I'm off to explore other parts of this site. It looks like a terrific one.

Slow Joe, Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  3. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

The Gem OCMM was Introduced in 1929...The Clog Pruf on 1941..The Bullet Tip on 1947/48...The Time Overlap of Making or Ceasing to Make Particular Models is Sketchy..The Clog Pruf was Called the New Micromatic at the Time of Release & it May be Safe to Assume that the OCMM was Discontinued at that Point with New Old Stock still in the Shelves for a Number of Years..It Would Apear that the Clog Pruf was Still being Made at the Same Time as the Bullet Tip...It Would Appear that the Latter 2 Models were Made into the 50s..:)
    https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...ved=0ahUKEwjrsPbKx5LPAhXrAMAKHarrAckQ6AEIHDAA

Exact Dates are Notoriously Hard to Pin Down..:angelic007:

Billy..:chores016:

Jim99, twhite and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097:

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. Billyfergie

upload_2016-9-16_1-42-47.jpeg
    :rofl:

Jim99 and Robyflexx like this.
  6. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Billy
    You are one sick puppy. Too much info in that GIANT noggin of yours. How do you hold it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slow Joe, Billyfergie and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Billyfergie

My Dad said that to Me when I was a Boy of around Ten..:happy102:

Slow Joe, Jim99, twhite and 1 other person like this.
  9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I think I would have liked your dad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

As stated earlier the dating of Gem Micromatic models is a little uncertain, especially their dates of discontinuance. But my belief is this:

Gem Micromatic Open Comb: 1929 to circa 1949 (Time out for WW ll)

Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf: 1941 to 1949 (Time out for WW ll)

Gem Micromatic Flying Wing aka Bullet Tip: 1947-1948

The Micromatic series was aging by the end of the 1940's. It was replaced by the much more modern looking Gem Heavy Flat Top aka "the G Bar," 1949 through the 1950s.

11. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

I love histories like this thread. Fascinating! I have a British made Pat 1912 made in England ever ready. The art deco handle seems shorter to me than other se razors, but I'm brand new at this. I did my best interpreting the chart and listings, but am still unsure in what range my razor falls. May I ressurrect this thread for assistance please? I'm guessing 1930 and up, but when did the British made marked Pat 1912 cease production, and what's the best way to narrow it down?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Jim99 and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Billyfergie

The Brits Started Making the So Called New Improved 1912s on 1930..The USA Plants Made them from 1920..They Stopped Production Sometime in the Early 50s I Believe..There was Old Stock around for Years..The Brit Made 1912s are Far More Aggressive than their USA Made Cousins..;)

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  13. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

Thanks Billyfergie! That sure was a fast response! With all the various old parts around, I can see why it's difficult to date all of them. The handle on mine does not see into the head itself, but into an elbow like piece. I'm confident, at least, to know that my razor was prob made between 1930 and early fifties, and may actually be a hybrid including various years parts. Thanks again!

Billyfergie likes this.
  14. chrisgeeo

chrisgeeo Well-Known Member

Picked up this Gem SE at a local flea market for $3. I'm having a hard time deciphering which one it may be. Judging from the handle material I'm thinking it has to be from the later models. Any help on which one?[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

15. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Looks like a Featherweight.

chrisgeeo likes this.
  16. chrisgeeo

Yep that's It! Thanks John

17. Shave7

Shave7 Active Member

Brother Chris,

Yes, that's a Gem Feather Weight razor. I have that identical razor. This razor and the Gem Heavy Flat Top razor were known as the "Gem flat head razors."

The Gem Feather Weight was made in 1953 to 1958. The earlier models had a metal tip at the bottom of the handle. Yours does not, so that would suggest it was made in maybe 1955 to 1958. It's light and nimble to use, but a little too mild for me. You got a good price. Congratulations! I think I paid $25 for mine, but it's perfect like "factory fresh."

chrisgeeo likes this.
  18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

That was helpful. Thanks!

chrisgeeo likes this.
  19. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Beautiful Festherweight!! Great mild razor!

chrisgeeo likes this.
  20. chrisgeeo

Cool thanks! I just went and got some gem stainless blades for it