Help! My shavette is killing me!

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Bama Samurai, Feb 7, 2018.

1. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

I have a wooden swing lock shavette on order,should be here wednesday.The two shavettes I have are slide outs: one plastic handle takes the half de blades the other stainless handle takes the long blades.Of the two I prefer the lighter plastic handle one.Although I am not sure if it is a matter of the weight or the balance.The lighter plastic seems more responsive to me.Also the plastic body has a triangular profile to the slide out,the steel has a square profile.As a cheat ,you can use the triangular profile as a guide to the angle of attack on the whiskers.I am a leftie but I do switch hands as I shave although I am more at ease using my left,but I feel I should be able to use either hand at this task.I am interested in trying the different handle/scale materiels to see how the various weights and shapes affect the shave.I think I have fallen victim to a new RAD.....SAD.Shavette Acquisition Disorder...

2. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

With all due respect, watch any Youtube wetshaver when they do a straight shave. Its what they all do.

3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

But....It's not what you do, because you only shave your neck. Ergo, you don't actually know what full face shaves are like, or what is absolutely required and obligatory. That's my point, and don't confuse the issue for newbies. Full face perfect shaves are totally possible and hand choice doesn't matter. It will only change the stretching techniques. Newbies fail at this because they get advice from people who don't actually use these tools for face shaves.

danbuter, jason koonce and Pilotcld like this.
  4. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I've used both shavettes and straight razors.
    I prefer the straight razors...they tend to leave my face feeling better than the harsh rigidity associated with the manufactured blades. But...it could be that my plastic blade holders are wearing out on my Dovo. (I only use it when traveling)

But I'm a solid right hand shaver. I don't swap. And my straight razor edges these days are at least as sharp as my shavette blades (if not sharper)

But the most important thing is to pay attention to the angle of attack. Second is great lather. Skin stretching won't help a poor lather or bad angle of attack. The stretching might mitigate those things...but you will have a lousy shave.

And if all three are proper (angle, lather, and stretching) then the shave is fairly comfortable. Regular straights are more forgiving for one of these things to be off a tad. Shavettes are notorious for being unforgiving.

danbuter, Keithmax and jason koonce like this.
  5. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

Ok. So I will start by saying sorry lol @Bama Samurai I had run into an emergency situation where I did not have any of my other shave stuff left at my house. It was packed and at my hotel room because I am currently moving out to get ready to move to japan. All I had was the shavette that I wasn’t supposed to start with until March madness. It was for good reason I won tickets to a daddy daughter dance and had to where my dress blues uniform because my suit was packed lol. But anyways.

I used the shark blades because they are not on the schedule of when to be used during it. It was definitely a different shaving experience lol got some nicks not too too bad. And some razor burn and the shave was not bbs. I definitely am in for a learning experience in March.

Also had to improvise on my shave brush ended up using a brand new makeup brush my wife had left in the house. Will say that had the softest bristles ever lol. Not a bad lather either

wristwatchb, Bookworm, RyX and 7 others like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

1) Pack for Japan
    2) Purloin wife's brush
    3) First shot at a shavette in a hotel bathroom, by necessity
    4) Out on the town in USN Dress Blues immediately after!
    5)Hall of Fame...

Love this. All about duty and valor.

Glad it wasn't too bad....

Carry on. :)

wristwatchb, 9nein9, RyX and 5 others like this.
  7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Emergency shaving contingency plans. Shavette and a makeup brush for the lather. That scores a 10 for improvisational skills, a 10 for being willing to risk your wife's wrath by using her brush and a final 10 for the casual "some nicks not too bad". Yep. You definitely belong in this group. Well done. Well done.

wristwatchb, 9nein9, RyX and 5 others like this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Eleven for the "some nicks, not too bad." Dark Side for Life!

wristwatchb, 9nein9, RyX and 4 others like this.
  9. jason koonce

Lol I told her I may have to keep it it was so soft lol.

wristwatchb, 9nein9, RyX and 3 others like this.
  10. Bama Samurai

It's yours now.

Believe.

Buy her something nice when you arrive in Japan.

Trust....

11. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:smiley respect::smiley respect::smiley respect:

:happy096:

9nein9, RyX, jason koonce and 2 others like this.
  12. Bama Samurai

The brush move was a strong and decisive play.

13. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It truly made it the stuff of legends.

14. Bama Samurai

If I could go back and do my first SR shave with a (stolen fair and square) makeup brush...I totally would.

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Kinda makes me feel wimpy....BULLY!!!

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There should be a few points for not just picking up a disposible cart.

9nein9, RyX, PickledNorthern and 4 others like this.
  17. Bama Samurai

He's a military guy, I doubt carts were even considered. He wanted to go open blade. Notice the utter lack of regret, blood be damned? I set the bar pretty high. But, he got over it, easy!

9nein9, RyX, dustmite and 3 others like this.
  18. jason koonce

Haha it wasn’t a bad experience I think I did ok first go around lol. It was a fun first try. The brush worked out perfect lol. Walked out sorry hun I stole your brush lol.

No cart thoughts were in the making of this shave.
    Sorry @wchnu grab yourself one and give it a shot.

Keithmax, 9nein9 and Edison Carter like this.
  19. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

:signs107:

:scared003: :char039: :pri:
    To my love:
    I-MBAD
    The dear folks down at the hangout where they are teaching me to play nice with all manners of really cool new sharp toys have been so kind to point out the error of my ways. I must ask you to forgive me for lusting after your makeup brush. It meant nothing to me! Honest!
    I have also been assured there is no such thing as MBAD. And even if it were a real psychological disfunction they have developed a 12 step program......
    Your loving Husband

Keithmax, RyX and Bama Samurai like this.
  20. jason koonce

Haha that’s awesome I will be borrowing this!

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.