My Way Of Modifying Modern DE Blades For The Segal Razor

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by jimjo1031, Feb 17, 2018.

1. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

After searching for ways of modifying a DE blade for Segal razors, I went with trimming them with a cuticle scissor. After a few tries, I didn't like the results as I couldn't cut clean lines. Considering that I really didn't need a whole bunch of them, I thought of an easier way of doing it. I figured that six blades would last me over a year while using the Segal razor in my rotation. I took six Personna Lab Blues and sandwiched them between two original Segal blades, taping the edges securely. I then used a small pair of vise grips to hold them together firmly and used my Wen rotary tool to open them up. I used the same grinding bit throughout the whole process because it allowed me to vary the width without changing the bit. All of this grinding has to be done slowly as to not heat up the blades, and it worked. They were cooler than when using hot water to rinse out blades. First pic after opening up the center hole..........
    20180217_013345_preview.jpg

Second pic after re-positioning the vise grips to allow moving the bit towards the vise grips and keep chatter down to a minimum..........
    20180217_014805_preview.jpg

Third pic after moving the vise grips to the other side and enlarging the opening.......... 20180217_015805_preview.jpg

Fourth pic showing the end result and having a nice clean opening in the blades for the razor..........
    20180217_020657_preview.jpg

Final pic with a blade installed in the razor.........
    20180217_030851_preview.jpg

Edit: Just something to add. When grinding, keep switching sides to allow the openings to be even on both sides. Also, had a great shave with the modified blade............

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
  2. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Nice job!

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 likes this.
  3. jimjo1031

It takes a little time doing it this way, but I think the end result was worth it.

jmudrick likes this.
  4. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Very nice! I do not own one of these but seeing how you do this was great!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  5. jimjo1031

Thanks. Now I'll get the chance to see how it shaves with a modern blade.

wchnu likes this.
  6. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

From all I hear I bet you likey.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  7. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Bravo! I should have though of that. Last week end I was searching my work shop looking for a way to develop a punching method. Heck the answer was right in from of my eyes as I too have a hand grinder. Thanks.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  8. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

Great idea and write up. Your explanation and the pics make it look easy. One day perhaps I'll make up some blades for my Segal. Thanks for the encouragement and knowledge :happy088:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Excellent idea. Now I don't have to labor with the modifications. Thanks. I will definitely be doing it this way, from now on.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

Very nice!

Herm

jimjo1031 likes this.
  11. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Jim, that came out fantastic! It sure is better than cutting with scissors.
    :happy088:

jimjo1031 likes this.
  12. jimjo1031

Thanks Herm.

13. jimjo1031

Thanks guys. If you decide on doing it this way, keep switching sides when grinding to do it evenly.

DaltonGang likes this.
  14. jimjo1031

Thanks Jim, it sure is better this way.

15. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

I'm with @preidy - I was thinking about how you'd punch out the thin steel, and not how to use a grinder. (different razor, same concept).

Now you can use one of the personna as your template for the next time, and not risk your Segal. Use them, then offer the used ones to others as templates?

jimjo1031 likes this.
  16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very cool, Jim. It amazes me what we will do to shave with some old razor.

jimjo1031 and jmudrick like this.
  17. jimjo1031

Yeah, I was thinking about a way to punch them myself. The Segal blades work ok for a DFS, but the one I had with the modified Lab Blue, an excellent BBS shave. Just go slow and keep switching sides when grinding, pretty easy actually.

18. jimjo1031

I figure with my rotation, six blades should last me a year at least.

Jayaruh likes this.
  19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

I can't put her down. I'm on my 7th shave all with different blades. I don't think I'm getting caught up in some type of frenzy ragarding the Segal. At this point I'm still getting a BBS with only a 2-pass (WTG & ATG) . It's amazing. I have a problerm crazy area under my left jaw line that I have to do a third crazy angle pass with all my other razors. Not with the Segal as 2 will do. I rate Segal up there in my top 3 razors - HD500, NEW SC and my Pre-war Tech. I luv this darn thing and I'm feeling bad cause I'm a Gillette nut. I seriously thinking about sending her off to see Chris for a new paint job. She has earned her way into the top of my rotation. Maybe this is a dream and I will wake up content using my Ranger Tech, 05 Single Ring or Red Tip Rocket. Tomorrow she's on deck again with a KAI.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  20. jimjo1031

I really like it, good balance and weight. I even thought about taking my time and grinding the area where the blade fits so no modification of blades is necessary, then having it re-finished. Maybe a project later on if I can get another one cheap.