Aqua velva classic blue

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by jeff fugate, Feb 20, 2018.

1. jeff fugate

jeff fugate Member

I used this for the first time today and love it also, I am starting to think the cheap classics like Aqua velva, Barbasol brisk, and Pinaud clubman are just as good as the more expensive aftershaves.

2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

yep.............

EnglishChannel, Jim99 and Paul Turner like this.
  3. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I add menthol crystals to mine, I call it ICED ice blue.

4. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I’m track’n with ya. I smell what you’re step’n in. And I concur.

Jim99 and jeraldgordon like this.
  5. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Not sure I would put current Aqua Velva in the same class as some "more expensive" aftershaves/colognes. But that's me and I fell down the scent rabbit hole a long time ago.

brit, Jim99 and Demidog like this.
  6. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It was written someplace that "Expensive colognes attempt to match the fragrance and feel of Clubman, but they just can't do it"(Might have been an Amazon reviewer).

Enrico and Jim99 like this.
  7. McGrande

McGrande Well-Known Member

Aqua Velva Ice Blue is in my rotation. Another less expensive AS splash is Mennen Skin Bracer. Similar in scent to Barbasol Brisk. A tad more refined IMHO.

Enrico, brit, EnglishChannel and 2 others like this.
  8. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

What are the more expensive AS's?

9. jeff fugate

jeff fugate Member

There is all kind of more expensive aftershaves that I've seen, Dr Jon's, Ogallala, Captain's Choice, proraso, and many I have seen.

Enrico likes this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'll throw in Bill(Wm)Neumann

11. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

As someone that owns far too many aftershaves, it seems that the general rule is that the more expensive ones tend to have a longer sillage and slower dry down.
    Pinaud clubman is certainly an exception, and a "must-have" in any den.

I would highly recommend trying Chatillon Lux aftershaves, however. They will change your mind about how incredible they can really be.

12. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

Some of the more expensive aftershaves that I've used have some extra ingredients for hydration and reducing irritation. Some of those aftershaves also work really well for me. I used Aqua Velva for years before I knew that anything else existed but I don't plan on going back to it other than for nostalgia purposes.

I'd agree for the most part though - many expensive aftershaves don't really offer a significant benefit over the cheap drugstore stuff. The stuff that I use is a little more expensive than Aqua Velva but still pretty inexpensive, and it works perfectly for my skin.

13. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

In Europe each country is quite limited for mainstream AS's. In the UK: Old Spice or Brut, with Tabac and Blue Stratos in limited distribution. Designer AS's appear to be limited to Quorum or Paco Rabanne. I am sure most Designer brands do an AS but they are in a limited distribution. France appears to be limited to Skin Bracer and Aqua Velva. In Germany there is Hattric or Pitralon. Proraso and Musgo Real are probably expensive as imports, but it's hard to find really expensive brands such as Royall or St Johns. The London brands GFT and T&H et al are also again limited in distribution.

Jim99 likes this.
  14. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Floris 89 aftershave is usually between $60 and $75 for 3.4 oz. on Amazon....
    I can see that price for their EdT; which is usually over $100; but for AS, I like Aqua Velva Ice Blue and Musk, aswell as all the Clubmans.

I did a back to back comparison between Clubman Special Reserve $6, and Creed Royal English Leather over $100.
    And I sware to you, the Clubman is a better Leather Scent...I mean it is really leather. Smells like something Indiana Jones would wear. The Creed smelled like a perfume imitation of leather, but the Special Reserve was like walking into a leather shop where they make baseball Gloves!

jeraldgordon, Primotenore and Jim99 like this.
  15. nikos.a

nikos.a Well-Known Member

I've never spent more than 15 euros on an after-shave. My most expensive is the Myrsol ones.

AV is a truly great product. I love it all around.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Paul Turner, EnglishChannel and Jim99 like this.
  16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You said it right.

17. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

I don’t think I’ve spent more than $7USD per bottle on any aftershave (frugality) and I do enjoy Aqua Velva Ice Blue. I also like the Aqua Velva musk and find it to be a fantastic and long lasting scent. Skin Bracer is another very good and low cost aftershave.

Point is that you don’t need to spend a lot of money to find a good aftershave.

Paul Turner and EnglishChannel like this.
  18. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

I've found inexpensive drugstore type AS to work wonderfully for me. Being sold locally they are easy to find and I can buy more different scents. :)

19. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Agree. I use A.Velva every Saturday and Skin Bracer on Sundays. I luv the stuff my Dad used them. It's been around since the early 1900's. I found an old glass bottle that I use.
    IMG_3967 (2).JPG

20. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

You should pick up a bottle of the older 1970s Aqua Velva Ice Blue... That stuff smells even better than the current variant. Plus as you can see above the bottles were actually Glass with Bakelite caps back then.

Enrico, preidy and Paul Turner like this.