Rocnel Sailor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by LOOT, Feb 22, 2018.

1. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

The shave fairy dropped off a brand new Rocnel Sailor today. As I understand it, this is 1 of 18 Phil at Bullgoose took deliver of earlier this week. This is the 2nd batch and it's aesthetic design is considerably different than the first batch of 10 that Phil got.

She's a beauty for sure, time will tell how it shaves.

upload_2018-2-22_13-44-9.jpeg

upload_2018-2-22_13-44-20.jpeg

upload_2018-2-22_13-44-32.jpeg

upload_2018-2-22_13-44-43.jpeg

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Looks like a well built instrument. Stainless steel, adjustable, is it a 3 pc?

LOOT likes this.
  3. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very cool is that adjustable?

LOOT and RyX like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The last I saw, could've been the earlier version, MSRP was $395.00. It is SS and adjustable, still a pretty high price.

LOOT and RyX like this.
  5. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Specs may have been helpful :) It is bright polished 316L SS. It is adjustable indeed. It is really 4 pieces. It disassembles into 3 primary pieces. See photo. The handle has an independent, retained, spring loaded plate that does the adjusting. I assume the adjusting plate and spring come apart. I don't know how. I don't have nor studied any razors with a similar design...so, I defer to the Den horde. This razor will require a totally different and extended shave ritual, especially if you are the type to completely disassemble, dry, etc. I've got an idea of how I'll load it without taking flesh and it's unlike any 3-piece I have. Because the adjusting plate is spring loaded...so is the cap! There is a fine line between a secure cap and a cap missile. User beware! I can't see this becoming a daily driver....for several reasons.

Yes, see above.

Correct on all points. $395 is steep for sure...even so, I'd imagine this particular model will easily get it's money back on the 2nd hand market.

upload_2018-2-22_16-7-8.jpeg

6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great looking razor. Congrats.

Str8on2 and LOOT like this.
  7. Marine68

Marine68 Well-Known Member

That is a fine looking weapon of hair destruction.

Str8on2, LOOT and jimjo1031 like this.
  8. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

Very nice! Looks very easy to wipe clean in situ.

LOOT likes this.
  9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

People pay money for those? I will as usual be the one to say it. Not a very attractive razor when compared to the real stuff. Kind of like the Merkur Progress I have. It probably shaves good though.

jimjo1031 likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

Just wondering if these razors are kept to a limited run to keep the prices high. If they were on regular production, would they lower the prices.

Old School and LOOT like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Very nice razor, but I'll save that kind of money for a car payment (or two). No offense intended. :sad027:

LOOT, Marine68 and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

Hot damn. That’s cool

Str8on2, clint64 and LOOT like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

I think they would have to. Only the "It's limited so special" crowd will spend that kind of ching on a tool.

14. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

Ouch. Words hurt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

jimjo1031 and Jorvaljr like this.
  15. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

It looks cool!

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

:signs021: :hooray:

Sweet, I have a Rocnel adjustable, a very well made razor. I wish I had delayed my purchase, they I would have bought the Sailor version.

Enjoy!

17. LOOT

LOOT Well-Known Member

The razor does indeed disassemble with a long handled screw drive. The threaded nut (far right) is slotted on the bottom for a flat head. To assemble stand the razor up on the handle, stand the springs on the baseplate, drop the symmetrical adjuster plate on top of springs. Compress the assembly, flip the razor over, drop the threaded nut in the shaft...tighten. It's straight forward. Plate-to-baseplate is symmetrical. Overall it is pretty straight forward. It can be completely broken down and serviced regularly.

I don't have a metric ruler, but that is a 70mm handle on the Blackland Blackbird for reference. The Sailor is shorter.

No shave report. I was stressing over maybe not being able to completely take it apart. Undue stress it seems. Besides...it's Fatboy Friday.

upload_2018-2-23_13-33-47.jpeg

upload_2018-2-23_13-57-24.jpeg

RyX, clint64, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  18. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Yikes!

jimjo1031 likes this.
  19. jimjo1031

It's a nice looking razor, but it would have to be the best razor to shave with at that price. And I already have a bunch of razors that'll give me BBS shave with no problem.

Enrico likes this.
  20. rawfox1

rawfox1 Well-Known Member

Let's hear a shave review

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk