Deodorants don't work, suggestions please

Discussion in 'Skincare' started by Demidog, Nov 19, 2017.

1. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

And you can get your Vogue on at the same time. (Yes, that is really Madonna.) :eek:
    [​IMG]

brit, Hembree, Demidog and 1 other person like this.
  2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

I was in the same situation some years ago. I had to quit using my favorite deodorant because of the irritation and redness it caused. I am a heavy sweater.

I have two solutions:
    1. Wash well with just water every morning. This works really well during the winter as the sweating is slightly less. It will take some time for the good bacteria to take over and during this period you will smell a bit. Water will rinse away the nutrition in the armpit meaning less bad bacteria feeding there. Soap would kill the good bacteria while the bad bacteria seem to survive. I have asked both my wife and trustworthy friends if I am smelly with this procedure and they say I am not smelly. My own nose do not either feel any smell.
    2. During more intensive periods with a lot more sweat, use a small amount of baking soda, or even better, baking soda mixed with table salt as deodorant. You just use a very small amount into the armpits right after washing, while they are still wet. It works surprisingly well, but will slightly upset the bacterias in the armpit.

brit and Demidog like this.
  3. HealthyWaysss

HealthyWaysss New Member

Use Fa Deodorant, it is good

4. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

DSC07012.jpg I use the MoM roll-on deoderants that use milk of magnesium to control odor. You could use milk of magnesia and cotton balls. You can buy MoM from The People's Pharmacy online.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
    Demidog likes this.
  5. AaronW1983

AaronW1983 New Member

[​IMG]

Stop using anything with a scent.

I use triple dry at night after a shower once or twice a month. It controls the sweat glands.

Then unscented mitchums during the day.

Zero smell....

Problem solved.

6. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

I've recently started to use "native" deodorant unscented by nativecos.com. It doesn't ignite the fires of armpit hell and it's effective even at the gym. My only minor negative is that the product is a little bit grainy when you apply it. But, other than that, no complaints so far.

Demidog likes this.
  7. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Yeah, antiperspirant? Degree?

8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Winning? ;)

MR41 likes this.
  9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Many people come to me and they say, “Hey, how can you be such a swinging sex god?” Well I tell you. It’s not because I can make love up to one time a night. It’s not because I say the things a woman wants to hear like, “Are you through yet?” It’s because I know how to read a woman.
    But I’m also a unique guy too. The kind of guy who likes to have his own special scent. Not to smell like every other guy. I like to have my own, individual odor. That’s why I wear tuna fish sandwich. I put a tuna fish sandwich under each arm. Maybe one or two behind the ears. I don’t smell like any other guy. And it’s economical too because the smell lasts four or five days. —Steve Martin

BigMike, brit, Demidog and 1 other person like this.
  10. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Kinda that "Swiss Cheese" appearance, right?

wristwatchb likes this.
  11. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I've had pretty good luck with Crystal and with Schmidt's.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Demidog likes this.
  12. Bookworm

Bookworm Well-Known Member

As for me, I can build up some insane funk sometimes. What I ended up doing is what @Tdmsu suggested. I keep my underarms shaved, not just trimmed. (I don't do it daily, it usually is good for three days to a week). The bacteria likes the crevices in the 'scales' of the hair, I think. If I'm on one of my 'don't use deodorant/antiperspirant' days (I periodically do this to make sure that all the pores unclog themselves and the skin can breathe), I'll take a cotton ball, soak it in alcohol - the 70% stuff is good enough, even the 50% will do - and both wet down the entire armpit and then clamp the cotton ball there. The deal is that it takes about 30 seconds for the alcohol to dry out the bacterial wall enough for it to rupture. After two minutes or so, I'm generally done, and then wash the pits to get rid of residual odor. Just killing the bacteria still leaves their stink behind - so I do it before washing. That's good enough for the bulk of a day.

I'm finding that the Arm and Hammer essentials (I think that's the name) line works well as a deodorant. Not concerned about aluminum in anti-perspirants, as skin isn't a known absorption vector. Plugging the pores doesn't mean your body will suck it in :)

One thing that I've found - don't use the same razor blade to shave head and armpits, especially if you've used anti-perspirant. The residue of deodorant/AP chews into the blade. Not really noticeable for shaving the armpit, but if you go on and try to use the same blade on your face/head, you'll know it. So, I now have two razors for the shower.

Staining on shirt. This can be a function of diet. Long before we had anti-perspirants and deodorants beyond washing, men had 'ring around the collar' and yellowing cloth around the armpits. As to WHAT could do it? No idea. I know some foods are higher in sulphur, and Indian foods can cause an atrocious funk when sweating. I'm sure someone has done some research online. So, my suggestion would be to add a wifebeater shirt, or even look into the 'dress shields' used by women, for those days you have to wear a more expensive shirt. (Garment Shield brings up 'Garment Guard'. there's also supposedly a 'sweat proof' shirt made from bamboo and spandex. No idea if it actually might be. - https://www.thompsontee.com/men/sweat-proof-shirt-slimfit-bamboo-crewneck.html )

Demidog and Tdmsu like this.
  13. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

@Bookworm is right - do not use the same blade on your pits and your face/head. I usually shave my pits as the last use of a blade - I may have used it for three or four shaves on my face, then use it in the pits and pitch it. I only need to shave them every couple weeks. I avoid anti-perspirants because they irritate me.

14. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I ditched areosol sprays for roll ons. I use Dove or European Sure from Unilever. Both are alcohol free. They do a fantastic job without staining.

Demidog likes this.
  15. Demidog

Demidog Well-Known Member

I finally had an excuse to buy a new deodorant. A combination of painful deodorants, less painful deodorants, heavy clothing, and summer humidity got me through the past year. Since my favorite less painful deodorant ran out and the weather got drier, the unbearable pain came back - thanks Old Spice.

I decided to try the Crystal alum stick that was suggested here a few times. I was a bit hesitant because it has aluminum in it and I didn't think an odorless stick would work considering that I tend to stink quite a bit. After a few days of using it, I can confirm that it works incredibly well. There might be a very tiny bit of irritation although that might still be leftover burning from the Old Spice. It also makes me a little uncomfortable not really having any armpit sweat but on the other hand, it's great that my undershirts aren't getting soaked. I've always hated how in winter, my hands will be frozen solid but my pits will still be sweating like a fountain. Now I haven't had that problem.

I still haven't put it to the true test of exercise but on days where I'm more sedentary, I clearly don't need the Old Spice anymore. I can't tell you how great it feels to not be in constant pain every single day to the point where I can't even let my arms hang down naturally. Thanks to everyone for all of the suggestions.

[​IMG]

Daywalker and brit like this.
  16. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I also have heard this might work. Some say it is a natural deodorant but I have not tried it. You can research it on the web. Lot of info there.
    -----
    Danny

Demidog likes this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

drink lots of water...i wasn t a big water drinker and had a similar problem .. upping my water intake knocked the smell down considerably. took a few days for the body to adjust..but have had way less issues since..

Demidog likes this.
  18. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Demidog and brit like this.
  19. SharptoothC

SharptoothC I bite..........

I'm one who has also struggled with finding deodorants that I don't have a negative reaction to. I've tried virtually everything on the store shelves, and ultimately I've gotten the same result: redness, irritation and swelling. I have finally had to give up on antiperspirants. Ive tried a number of more natural deodorants with varying degrees of success. Schmidt's worked well from a scent perspective but the consistency made it downright painful to apply. Others just didn't cut it from a scent reduction perspective. After LOTS of searching, I have finally come up with something that seems to be working very well for me.

First, I shower with an activated charcoal soap. There are quite a few options on the market. I use one from Bear Naked Hunting (full disclosure: my cousin is the owner. I don't want this to be read as a sales pitch. He introduced me to charcoal soap as something that hunters use to prevent body scent. He is a big hunter and uses it. I love the stuff, and the results have been surprising for me. I'm sure there are others that would do the same job.)

Second, I apply Crystal deodorant while I am still wet.

Finally, I apply a deodorant I recently discovered from American Provenance (no ties to this - found it at a local natural health store). I am tentatively very excited about it. After a week of use I have zero irritation, no noticeable armpit odor, and no staining. It goes on easily and requires very little product. It's a bit pricey, but if the results keep up I will gladly pay it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Demidog and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

while i don t get any issues with scented products i have started using every man jack sandalwood deodorant because of the lower chemical content..

Demidog likes this.