Japanese Straight Razor Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

That look minty, I have never seen one in such perfect condition. Wow!

Spyder, TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  2. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thanks Keith - I feel lucky to be the "caretaker" of this razor for the foreseeable future. Hopefully I can keep it in this shape.

Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've seen them listed, in NOS condition. They were asking between $400-$600, dependent on the exaggerated curve. More curve, more money.

Keithmax, Billyfergie and Spyder like this.
  4. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Well I suppose I should contribute more here - I collect pairs BTW.

Tanifuji Spaldings
    DSCF2138.jpg

Nichiri King Pelican 14 Western symmetrical kamisori
    DSCF2139.jpg

Nichiri Manaslu M-500
    IMG_2298.jpg

Kenwa Western asymmetrical kamisori
    DSCF0995.jpg

Cheers, Steve

5. TestDepth

Gorgeous razors @Steve56!!!
    The King Pelican 14 and the M-500 have been on my dream razor wishlists for a while.
    I’ve heard that Japanese steel tends to naturally repel, so keeping them in pairs may be harming them :).
    Maybe I could offer to help.
    Thank you for sharing!
    Tom

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Some drool worthy shavers in the last several posts. I love my orientals, but man the prices seem to be skyrocketing lately. Or is it just my imagination :signs002:

7. TestDepth

A razor trademark that I have always found interesting... the Hoshi Tonbo Dragonfly.
    FBA585B2-DD3C-471D-904E-FA3C63031919.jpeg
    Tonbo or Tombo (heck, I’ve seen both on the same razor) is Japanese for Dragonfly and I believe Hoshi translates to Star, hence seeing it more often resting on a star than the “H.”
    I bought into the story that dragonflies in Japanese culture are called the Victory or Invincible insect because of their hunting prowess, their agile and fast flight, ability to hover combined with their inability to fly backwards so they never retreat... but I think that last part is wrong :) (though does make sense if you are wearing a dragonfly helmet into battle in the 17th century, as the story goes).

Cool story for a cool razor. Dream razor is a Hoshi Tombo 8000, but no such luck, so your stuck with this frameback. Still think it looks pretty sweet.
    3645BDE9-F17D-4D7C-AD34-AC648354F841.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave... and does anyone really know what the deal is with Tonbo or Tombo???
    Maybe I’m partial to “Tom”bo... yep, I’m here all week. :happy097:

8. TestDepth

So now... interesting twist... and maybe this is showing that I am losing my mind... or I am at work too long and I am wasting time... forget I wrote that last part :).

What if I have been mistaken this whole time??? I have always assumed I had a Hoshi Tonbo frameback because the trademarks are so close and nothing else comes up on a search. Is there a possibility that this H Tonbo with the dragonfly coming down on the "H" is not the same??? I don't remember seeing the Tokyo Riki Co LTD anywhere on the razor box... hmmmm.

BUT there are 2 stars on the tang?!?!?!? Why is this razor messing with me?!?!?!?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Billyfergie and mrchick like this.
  9. TestDepth

Totally your imagination Keith. If you just slide the decimal one position to the left, they are totally affordable.

Billyfergie, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  10. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

The way I look at it is that most NOS Japanese razors are in the $175-275 range which is quite the bargain considering the steel, diversity of styles, and craftsmanship compared to current offerings. I'm fond of TI C135 steel too, but most TI razors are more expensive and not ground that well though they do shave very well.

Cheers, Steve

Billyfergie, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  11. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Here's another helping of Japanese razor eye candy - enjoy!

Cheers, Steve

7/8 Corals
    image1-4.JPG

Nichiri Manaslu M-55
    IMG_2555.jpg

Tanifuji Silver Steel B&W Gentleman's pair, scaled in black horn and ivory by Alfredo Gil
    IMG_2156.jpg

Cape 1000 scaled in lava Kirinite by Alfredo Gil
    DSCF2506.jpg

Cape 2000 in honey horn scales by Alfredo Gil
    image1-5.JPG

Keithmax, mrchick, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  12. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

You have a very nice collection! Are these in your shaving rotation??

Billyfergie likes this.
  13. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

Hi Keith,

They're all shave ready but I don't use the 'decorated' razors like the Corals that much to save wear on the graphics, much like the cased pair of Le Grelots I posted in another thread. Other than that, yes, the all get used pretty regularly but like anyone I have my favorites. I like the Cape 1000/2000 and King Pelicans a lot so they come up pretty often.

Cheers, Steve

14. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

Keithmax, Spyder, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  15. TestDepth

A non-smiling Saito is up this evening...

As Steve mentioned, I think most people associate Saito with his smiling blades - SK 1,2,&3. This one drew me in because it wasn’t one of his smileys. Here we have an asymmetrical folding kamisori.
    401DCFB0-9898-4E2C-8274-AD2A9447FAEA.jpeg
    Very small, coming in at around a 2” length with a 6/8” width, but dense and surprisingly weighty.
    66A9807B-80AB-4EC8-BABC-8D3DCAE1C85C.jpeg
    Unlike my SK1 that seems to be a Kikuboshi “licensing” his name, this has no other stamps besides R Saito.

When I first used it I felt like I made a mistake purchasing, but it forced me to really learn this razor. Much different than hollow grinds (master of the obvious I know :) ) but this also feels much different that even my Sheffield wedges... even more stiff.

Enjoying the pics! Enjoy your shave!
    Tom.

16. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Spyder, DaltonGang and TestDepth like this.
  17. TestDepth

Alright, what’s on deck tonight?
    A Takehana Fon K-3 Golden Star
    094790FD-DB4C-4F60-866F-E0BBB2E06E66.jpeg
    If I have my facts and timeline correct, this is an early ancestor of my SK-1. Takehana changed its name to Kikuboshi in 1941 and my SK-1 is produced/distributed by Kikuboshi. I thought that was cool.

The razor is 13/16” and a heavy wedge/near wedge grind. The opposite side of the tang has a unique and fun stamping that is one of my favorite:
    147A440F-8649-40E8-AB82-B2916E4350B3.jpeg
    :) I guess when you like what you made you should say it!

I find the jimping to really stand out in its quality and it feels strong and solid in hand - a quiet hair assassin.
    BB64841A-1118-4FE4-84A5-2C4A445C53FC.jpeg
    The Fon Golden Star Deluxe is properly drool worthy but I am pretty happy with this version in my rotation.
    Enjoy your shave!
    Tom

Shojo510, Keithmax, mrchick and 2 others like this.
  18. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I Have Owned or Honed Many Japanese Razors..They are Typically Impeccably Ground from the Factory..I Have Only One Left in My Collection..This Japanese Hamilton Swedish Steel 6/8th..I Love this Razor..Must be Rare as You Dont Come Across Em Often..;)

The Black Handled One is a Japanese Atlas 7/8th..Its Also Swedish Steel..I Sold it..Lovely Shaver But this Particular Swedish Steel that Was Formulated Specifically for Japanese Razors to Somewhat Emulate Japanese Steel..Doesn't Rock My Boat..The Hamilton 6/8th has what I Would Call Traditional Vintage Swedish Steel..There is Marked Difference Between these Steels..:D

H Diamonds & Other High End Japanese Razors Typically Use this Later Swedish Steel that was Formulated for the Japanese Market..I Have Honed Many of Em..Post War Japanese Razors Made with What I Call Traditional Swedish Steel are Relativity Speaking Not Easy to Find..I Am Not a Fan of Traditional Japanese Steel Either..My Personal Judgement of Taste of Course as they are All Lovely Shavers..:)

Billy..:chores016:

Steve56, Keithmax, Spyder and 4 others like this.
  19. TestDepth

So followed up the Takehana Fon K-3 Golden Star with the Nichiri Cape 1372:
    438112DF-A22D-4440-9070-1FCCD17BA5A1.jpeg
    And the Star-Raito Staraet 55:
    A778CC4F-4B95-4F99-ABCA-95C4FF76CF0E.jpeg
    To end the week with a smile, though slightly less of one than when I started (literally and figuratively with the SK 1), let’s use the SK 3.
    14B84A7B-A95C-4157-B603-9A14865294C7.jpeg
    This one is much more user friendly. I’ve never had the good fortune to use the SK 2 and who knows, maybe that is the Goldilocks razor - just right. :)
    Tom.

capsfanx, Steve56, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  20. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

AMAZING. :happy096::eatdrink047:

Spyder and TestDepth like this.